Sign in to follow this  
TN CRAWLER

SMALL SHOW PONY

TN CRAWLER

GENTLEMAN, IS A WHEEL HORSE 1961 MODEL 701 WORTH MAKING INTO A SMALL SHOW TRACTOR, AFTER THE CRAWLER '73 THINKING A REGULER WHEEL HORSE WOULD SHOW NICE TOGETHER. :D

THANKS TN CRAWLER

kpinnc

I would say a 701 is one of the most collectable Wheel Horse tractors out there.

-First model with the engine mounted in the front since the Ride Away Senior.

-First year the 2 piece Unidrive case was offered.

-A truckload of "1961 only" items: Twin belt guard K161 engine, plastic dash panel, Suburban style hood, rear fender straps instead of brackets, and the list goes on.

A 701 is a really nice tractor. Finding parts can be tough, so KEEP EVERYTHING, even if it seems trivial. You may have to use it!

Kevin

BPjunk

Restoring my 701 was the hardest one to find parts for as many peices are unique to the 701.

The steering support peice and thick fan gear were only used in 1961 and the support was prone to breakage. The 1899 steering arms were drilled straight for the roll pins in 1961 and also broke a lot, so in 1962 Wheel Horse drilled the roll pin holes on either a right or left angle plus added a steering stop. The rear fenders were a OHSA no no as they had points on the rear tips, once again only in 1961. The neat chrome push button starter can be found and the plastic dash panel is being reproduced but make sure you have the little support bracket on the back side of the panel. :( But a hard part to find is the grounding solenoid for the starter :P . On the bright side you don't need to find a panel for the parking brake lever .... because there is no parking brake! :( The reason for the double starter pulley arangment is because the Kohler 7hp K-161 used on the model 701 does not have a automatic compression release, so the engine needs two belts to spin the engine over while starting .... one belt would just slip. :D

The model 701 is a valuable Wheel Horse model as it has good looks and is unique.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1200105957.jpg

TT

I remember when I was bidding on my first 701, Bill. I thought "the left cover is missing, but I have a few".

When it finally arrived here from IL, I realized that it never had that panel -- or, as you said at the show when I had it in the parade, no parking brake either. :D

I was thinking about selling my other 701, but I might just have to get a couple strong fellas to help me hoist it upstairs in the shop. It can sit up there and it won't hurt a thing. Besides.... my 1067 needs the company. (and a belt guard, if you know of any! :P )

T-Mo

Tn Crawler,

I'm glad to see you back. I don't know much about the 701, but the other guys here gave some very good info for you (and for me also). I do know that the 701 is one nice looking tractor.

Rollerman

TN Crawler...have you decided to take on the 701 restoration?

TN CRAWLER

:D TICKSTER, STEPHEN, STARTED ALL READY WENT TO HAVE IT DONE BY THE WHEEL HORSE SHOW IN JUNE. POCKETS WILL HAVE TO BE DEEP . ORGIONAL FRON NORTHERN IN. HEBRON. A TRAN-PLANT DOWN HERE , LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING EVERYONE. RON

TN CRAWLER