WH nut

Generator Project

woodchuckfarmer

When starting this up , check your voltage and adjust your rpm for the right voltage . I made one similar to yours.

• Like 5

Tankman

Nice project! Been on my to-do list longer than I'll admit.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

DougC

Nice work. And you can drive it to where you need to use it instead of lifting or pulling the heavy standard style generator.:handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 3

WH nut
7 hours ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

When starting this up , check your voltage and adjust your rpm for the right voltage . I made one similar to yours.

Already set

• Like 1

JPWH

You just gave me an idea. We just had a 6500w generator catch on fire and burnt the gas tank and motor up. The generator is still OK. Looks like I have another project.

• Like 2

857 horse

Thanks for sharing.....Nice !!!

WH nut
2 hours ago, Hank01 said:

You just gave me an idea. We just had a 6500w generator catch on fire and burnt the gas tank and motor up. The generator is still OK. Looks like I have another project.

I have had this project in mind for quite awhile and I have to admit I was over thinking it so I put it on the back burner.  I wasn't sure if the pivot on the quick tach would give me the tension I needed on the belt so I was trying to come up with a easy way to make a spring loaded idler, and I wasn't sure if the belt would support the unit without dropping it to the ground. I decided to just start slapping things together and modify as I went. It worked out great on the first try. Im not sure of the ease of mounting yet since I don't have the frame all welded together yet, but the plan is to be able to just ull up to the unit, lift the one end up into the quick tach then rotate up to install the belt. no real lifting and no strain.

• Like 3

JC 1965

Good job, looks great, I have thought of doing something like that with a Harbor Freight generator head. Thanks for the photos.   :thumbs2:     

JC 1965

Yea,  That's what I had in mind. Great photo thanks for sharing.       :thumbs2:   PS.  What's the wattage output rating of that one ?    :confusion-shrug:

DennisThornton
8 hours ago, rgrottk said:

Works great with the Harbor F. Gen Head did this like 15 years ago and never looked back....    Have used this through the yrs when a power outage strikes...... comforting to have and no additional engine to maintain.

The Suburbans had/have a pretty slick front attachment setup!  I could be wrong but I think the WHs and Suburbans were pack leaders when it comes to attachments.  They both had a lot of options!  Besidewhere the Suburban mule drive slides in an attachment could also tie into the axle.  Haven't seen any other tractor do that.  Makes for a really nice generator setup!  Portable AC anywhere that tractor will go and couldn't ask for an easier hookup!

• Like 1

Rob R

10000 Peak/7200 Running Watts Generator Head. ... Make your own power generator with this belt-driven generator head! This generator head takes a 16 horsepower engine for 10000 watt maximum output, 7200 watts rated

Note: I am using this generator with a 1970 12HP Sears Surburban (True HP at 3000 RPM 15HP) and it works great. I run it into a 4 wire box (30 AMP) same one I use for my Welding..... powers almost everything in the house and I turn off major items to switch on my well pump to recharge the tank...... of course I TOTALLY disconnect from the street power.   

• Like 2

Rob R
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

The Suburbans had/have a pretty slick front attachment setup!  I could be wrong but I think the WHs and Suburbans were pack leaders when it comes to attachments.  They both had a lot of options!  Besidewhere the Suburban mule drive slides in an attachment could also tie into the axle.  Haven't seen any other tractor do that.  Makes for a really nice generator setup!  Portable AC anywhere that tractor will go and couldn't ask for an easier hookup!

Yes sir, used an ole I Beam welded it to a spare Suburban attachment U channel. Nice thing is that I can easily adjust the belt tension and quickly disconnect the power to the generator with the manual Suburban lever....

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, rgrottk said:

Yes sir, used an ole I Beam welded it to a spare Suburban attachment U channel. Nice thing is that I can easily adjust the belt tension and quickly disconnect the power to the generator with the manual Suburban lever....

Now you are telling me something I don't know!  Lever?  Does that move the mule drive or whatever is in there?

Rob R
17 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Now you are telling me something I don't know!  Lever?  Does that move the mule drive or whatever is in there?

Yes Dennis the lever moves the Suburban channel and the mounted I Beam (to which the gen is mounted)  and tightens the belt .... it is can readily be adjusted... this is the same lever for the mule drive (Mower)

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, rgrottk said:

Yes Dennis the lever moves the Suburban channel and the mounted I Beam (to which the gen is mounted)  and tightens the belt .... it is can readily be adjusted... this is the same lever for the mule drive (Mower)

My GT-16 didn't come with a mower deck so I never knew!  Thanks!

• Like 1

JC 1965
14 hours ago, rgrottk said:

10000 Peak/7200 Running Watts Generator Head. ... Make your own power generator with this belt-driven generator head! This generator head takes a 16 horsepower engine for 10000 watt maximum output, 7200 watts rated

Note: I am using this generator with a 1970 12HP Sears Surburban (True HP at 3000 RPM 15HP) and it works great. I run it into a 4 wire box (30 AMP) same one I use for my Welding..... powers almost everything in the house and I turn off major items to switch on my well pump to recharge the tank...... of course I TOTALLY disconnect from the street power.   

Great info. thanks for sharing.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

cleat

As long as this provides decently clean power, it would make  both a nice backup unit and being attached to a tractor would make it very mobile for remote power at the outer reaches of your property where wheeling a generator would be cumbersome.

Cleat

• Like 3

WH nut

Its all done except for paint. We have been having freezing rain all morning. let the power go out now.

019.JPG

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
On December 15, 2015 at 6:13 PM, rgrottk said:

I ordered one of those heads a week or two before Christmas, just got a reply from customer service today on the status. It is backordered and should be in around 2/26, so if you want one, order it now, it will take a while to come in.

WNYPCRepair
On December 15, 2015 at 9:34 AM, rgrottk said:

Works great with the Harbor F. Gen Head did this like 15 years ago and never looked back....    Have used this through the yrs when a power outage strikes...... comforting to have and no additional engine to maintain.

Suburban Gen 3.JPG

@rgrottk, a few questions, if you don't mind. 

Do you know the PTO RPM? Is it the same as engine speed, and if so at what RPM do you run?
What size are the pulley on the PTO and the generator

On December 28, 2015 at 3:24 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

I ordered one of those heads a week or two before Christmas, just got a reply from customer service today on the status. It is backordered and should be in around 2/26, so if you want one, order it now, it will take a while to come in.

FedEx guy showed up, said it's a heavy one today. I couldn't remember ordering anything, it's been so long. 

568f1e33e0a56_generatorinbox.thumb.JPG.f

generator.thumb.JPG.89462c1b154bc63d042c

• Like 5

Jrblanke

That is freaking cool. 

WNYPCRepair

It's way bigger than I expected. LOL

BESTDOGEVER

I am going to have to keep this in mind. My old generator is starting to  be troublesome to start maybe this is the answer. Nice work