DougC

Hang On To That Voltage Regulator.

DougC

I got around to checking the charging system on the 88 520H I bought a while back. The gauge read in the yellow just under 12v and digital volt meter reading was 11.8v engine running at approx 3,000 RPM and 12.2v at battery engine off. I was headed to the computor to get some diagnostic info from our forum when I noticed the old voltage regulator from my 95 520 laying on the shelf. That was replaced because it overcharged my battery while it was still under warranty. I thought I would install it on the 88 to see if it would charge with that regulator and save me some steps in the diag. of the problem. Unplugged the three wires and removed the bolt holding it on and to my surprise it fell down into no mans land between the shroud and engine...... DUH. The fan forced air cools the regulator..... Swearing now, I went fishing for the dropped regulator  and eventually pulled it out. Installed the other regulator and fired it up. After about 15 seconds the volt gauge on the tractor came up to 14v at 2000 rpm and went to 16+v at higher RPM.  So for anyone who has never removed a voltage regulator from a 20 horse onan. HANG ON TO IT. And if you ever have a regulator you need to replace due to overcharging, HANG ON TO IT. They come in handy to diagnose the charging system. 

• Like 3

cheesegrader

The bolt is fun to fish out, too!

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:We had a thread on that overcharging thing a little  bit back Doug....flea bay for a new one real cheap...don't drop the  bolt!!!!

• Like 1

DougC

Thanks for the tip Jim. I found the thread you mentioned and ordered the $19 regulator from amazon with no tax and free shipping. Had 5 star reviews from just about everybody. onanparts.com wants $63 and many have said Toro dealers want over $90.......... YIKES.............. This forum has taught me alot about :wh: and even how to shop and buy affordable parts over the internet.     :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

BESTDOGEVER

Yeah the onan dealer was 62 bucks vs the Toro dealer at 104 when I got mine this summer. Also bolts in shroud can be very expensive little buggers can destroy stuff quick :)

• Like 1

WHX??

@DougC Off to Amazon Doug...blowing snow yesterday 16+ volts so into the shop ...yup regulator overcharging...go figure & go fish if I drop the bolt!!

• Like 1

DougC
On 12/30/2015 at 8:09 AM, WHX6 said:

@DougC Off to Amazon Doug...blowing snow yesterday 16+ volts so into the shop ...yup regulator overcharging...go figure & go fish if I drop the bolt!!

Yep, things never seem to break at a convenient time. Glad you noticed it quickly. So far the Amazon $19 regulator I bought has performed perfectly. Hope you don't have to go fishing, but if you do, it's been my experience swearing seems to help.....:lol:

WHX??

12.53  with free shipping...let ya know how it works ....

• Like 1

refracman

Just a fyi the Kohler reg will work in a pinch as will the single cylinder frame mounted regulator.