JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

single stage snowthrower, TO HARD TO LIFT

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

ok, took the mowing deck off the 416-8 today. Decided its time to mount the snowthrower and get in gear for winter. After mounting the snow thrower I noticed the manual lift attachment arm was way forward. Didnt think much of it till I jumped in the seat and tried to lift the snowthrower, well I couldnt. It felt like it weighed a ton. Just so you know I never had a helper spring either. I have used this snowthrower on the 416 before 2 years ago, no problems lifting and lowering the attachment.  Used this snowthrower  on the 520 last year. Everything is hooked up correctly it seems. But why cant I lift it, why is the lift arm so far foward. I just got in from the garage, its darn close to 2 am. I am burned out on it. My brother was over, he couldnt figure it out either. 

Help appreciated on this mystery to me. Thanks.

Glenn 

squonk

Glenn is the flag in the top hole? I mistakenly put mine in the outer hole and it wouldn't lift without lots of help.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Did you put the flag into the right hole on the lift arm?  It should go into the top hole.

• Like 1

Shynon
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Glenn is the flag in the top hole? I mistakenly put mine in the outer hole and it wouldn't lift without lots of help.

2 hours ago, sorekiwi said:

Did you put the flag into the right hole on the lift arm?  It should go into the top hole.

:text-yeahthat:Been there done that

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I will check that. but I thought the lower hole was a differant size because that nub on the flag wont fit into the other hole. 

???????????

Glenn

• Like 1

PaulC
1 hour ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I will check that. but I thought the lower hole was a differant size because that nub on the flag wont fit into the other hole. 

???????????

Glenn

That has been my thought also after seeing the other posts suggesting that. I just hooked up my blowers and my flag will only fit into the top hole. Only thought I have is if theres any chance you attached the flag to the arm that lifts the mower deck? I don't even know if its possible though? :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Do you have any pictures of the current setup? if not could you take and post one im thinking it will help get to the bottom of this

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Get the spring too Glenn. I can lift mine with 2 fingers.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
8 minutes ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Get the spring too Glenn. I can lift mine with 2 fingers.

Jack, my brother has the spring on his, like you say 2 fingers. I hate to say old age is creeping in, but honest, I dont recall having the spring on it just 2 years ago. I am heading into the garage for posting pics per Paul and you all. But what else stymies me is why is my lift handle so far forward

Or is it better to say my grey matter is to far back.

Glenn

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

ok. mystery solved. there are (3) holes in that lift arm. you guys never said the top top hole. I had it in the center hole which was no good. Now its where its supposed to be and works great. with NO spring. thanks for the advice.

Glenn

20151130_131751.jpg

20151130_131700.jpg

20151130_132533.jpg

• Like 5

Wishin4a416

That is a nice looking 416 Glenn!!!How many hours? And glad you got it figured out.

• Like 2

PaulC
1 hour ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Jack, my brother has the spring on his, like you say 2 fingers. I hate to say old age is creeping in, but honest, I dont recall having the spring on it just 2 years ago. I am heading into the garage for posting pics per Paul and you all. But what else stymies me is why is my lift handle so far forward

Or is it better to say my grey matter is to far back.

Glenn

Jack and Glenn when you have your spring adjusted so its that easy to lift do you still have good down pressure when the blower is lowered? When I added the spring and got it adjusted real sweet, the first time I tried to use it it would just climb up on the snow. I had to back it off to the point it didn't do much?

24 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

ok. mystery solved. there are (3) holes in that lift arm. you guys never said the top top hole. I had it in the center hole which was no good. Now its where its supposed to be and works great. with NO spring. thanks for the advice.

Glenn

20151130_131751.jpg

20151130_131700.jpg

20151130_132533.jpg

So is this picture where you have it now that has solved the issue or where it was? Because the way its pictured is the way I have mine but its the second hole up from the bottom?

And Glenn if you didn't take those underneath pictures for us that show some dirt I would wonder if you even use those machines!! Beautiful :wh: stuff you got there :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Jack and Glenn when you have your spring adjusted so its that easy to lift do you still have good down pressure when the blower is lowered? When I added the spring and got it adjusted real sweet, the first time I tried to use it it would just climb up on the snow. I had to back it off to the point it didn't do much?

So is this picture where you have it now that has solved the issue or where it was? Because the way its pictured is the way I have mine but its the second hole up from the bottom?

And Glenn if you didn't take those underneath pictures for us that show some dirt I would wonder if you even use those machines!! Beautiful :wh: stuff you got there :handgestures-thumbupright:

Glenn

Paul. no. the PICTURE I POSTED its in the WRONG hole. There is another hole thats up a couple inches higher. The top top hole is where it is now. It lifts easy and the down pressure is great cause I have NO SPRING.

Glenn

59 minutes ago, Wishin4a416 said:

That is a nice looking 416 Glenn!!!How many hours? And glad you got it figured out.

Jack. 

Thank you. some extra pictures for you. The answer you seek is in the pictures. Lets have a small mystery. lol

Glenn

20151130_152247.thumb.jpg.d63d6f78884349

20151130_152125.jpg

20151130_152137.jpg

20151130_152220.jpg

20151130_152402.jpg

20151130_152321.jpg

20151130_152429.jpg

PaulC
21 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Paul. no. the PICTURE I POSTED its in the WRONG hole. There is another hole thats up a couple inches higher. The top top hole is where it is now. It lifts easy and the down pressure is great cause I have NO SPRING.

Glenn

Wow are you serious!!!! I have been putting it in the wrong hole all these years...I am intentionally leaving it typed that way haha!

Seriously though I am scratching my head over here :confusion-scratchheadyellow: and am really curious to see the difference it makes. I have my only manual lift tractor for sale at the moment but I will for sure make this change and maybe the helper spring will actually work and make sense now. I have it in the second hole on all my hydro tractors but obviously there it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks Glen you figuring out your problem has led me to realize I now have one :handgestures-thumbupright: well not really but at least I learned something

Edited by PaulC
post multiplied
  • Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Wow are you serious!!!! I have been putting it in the wrong hole all these years...I am intentionally leaving it typed that way haha!

Seriously though I am scratching my head over here :confusion-scratchheadyellow: and am really curious to see the difference it makes. I have my only manual lift tractor for sale at the moment but I will for sure make this change and maybe the helper spring will actually work and make sense now. I have it in the second hole on all my hydro tractors but obviously there it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks Glen you figuring out your problem has led me to realize I now have one :handgestures-thumbupright: well not really but at least I learned something

Paul, you might be putting xtra pressure where its not needed. Just sayin, glad we both learned something today.

Glenn

Wishin4a416

And that top hole is a booger to get that pin in. At least for me it has been. I had it mounted on 2 different tractors over the years and it was a struggle. For me anyway.

• Like 2

squonk

The older tractors like a 73 12 spd isn't too hard to get the flag in. The Newer 400 series style is a PITA! :)

• Like 2

sorekiwi

Dammit, Squonk beat me by seconds!!

The reason I guessed straight away where you had gone wrong is that I have also done it.  The first season with the blower I read the manual and installed it right.  The second season I thought I knew it all and managed to get it wrong.

What is this "top top hole" BS??

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, sorekiwi said:

Dammit, Squonk beat me by seconds!!

The reason I guessed straight away where you had gone wrong is that I have also done it.  The first season with the blower I read the manual and installed it right.  The second season I thought I knew it all and managed to get it wrong.

What is this "top top hole" BS??

you know what it is. the hole its supposed to go in. lol

amazing. I had it wrong to. oh well. It works now. thats all that matters.

Glenn

• Like 2

doc724

I we get older, we forget things.  I have resorted to color coding. On my manual lift tractor, there is a splash of white paint around the top hole.  On the hydros the splash of paint is around the middle hole.  Works every time!

• Like 3

roadapples
16 hours ago, doc724 said:

I we get older, we forget things.  I have resorted to color coding. On my manual lift tractor, there is a splash of white paint around the top hole.  On the hydros the splash of paint is around the middle hole.  Works every time!

Wouldn`t it be the same hole with the hydros for less stress on the lift?

PaulC

When this first popped up I looked at a manual for the blower and saw both holes pointed out for the blower, I cant seem to find that now though. Everything is hooked up the same essentially so the only thing I would think it does it put a bit more weight on the hydraulic cylinder which we know is pretty strong.

I made this switch on my manual tractor last night and man what a PITA to get to that top hole. I finally did get it set though and it is much easier to lift and the assist spring works much better now but I don't like how it only lifts the blower maybe 3-4 inches off the ground, in the second hole you probably get close to a foot. Now it makes sense why ive seen many others talk about adding washers or a stop collar to get more lift. The other thing that was a bit odd is how the lift lever only goes forward a little bit, which I think is what Glenn referenced in the beginning and the first thing that stood out as odd to him. I thought it was because of my lift assist spring but maybe not.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Paul. if you look at the pictures I posted you can see how far foward the lift lever goes when the snowblower is on the ground. That is what I thought was really odd.  Also. yes what a PITA getting it in the hole and putting the clip in. But at least I am snowready. Except for putting the chains on. live and learn.

Glenn

• Like 1

PaulC
47 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Paul. if you look at the pictures I posted you can see how far foward the lift lever goes when the snowblower is on the ground. That is what I thought was really odd.  Also. yes what a PITA getting it in the hole and putting the clip in. But at least I am snowready. Except for putting the chains on. live and learn.

Glenn

That's funny because once I made the switch the first thing I noticed was how the lever wasn't going very far forward so I thought something was wrong at first.

Just noticed your mustang in the background of your photos. :handgestures-thumbupright: I got one too but its a 1989 fox body...and mine isn't :wh: red either. Nice rides you got Glenn!

doc724

I remember putting the hitch pin in last year as difficult.  So, this year I tired a different approach.  Lie completely on your back with your feet out on the lift side.  You can look straight up and see the hole in the clevis pin on the lift flag-you may need a flashlight.  Insert the hitch pin from the front toward the rear.  I could not believe how easy it was to put in and take out.  It will not work if you wear gloves.  If your tractor is dirty-wear goggles.

• Like 2

PaulC
37 minutes ago, doc724 said:

I remember putting the hitch pin in last year as difficult.  So, this year I tired a different approach.  Lie completely on your back with your feet out on the lift side.  You can look straight up and see the hole in the clevis pin on the lift flag-you may need a flashlight.  Insert the hitch pin from the front toward the rear.  I could not believe how easy it was to put in and take out.  It will not work if you wear gloves.  If your tractor is dirty-wear goggles.

This is exactly what I did to the tee except for the goggle part which is a great suggestion. I still found it frustrating but it was much more frustrating dealing with dirt and debris fall into my eyes.

• Like 1