Wheelhorse100

Still can't get her running right

Wheelhorse100

Hi I have a wheel horse raider 10. It has a Kohler 12 in it. I have replaced the carb, condenser, coil, fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel lines and she still runs lean and/or not at all and when she does it backfires and loss of power

953 nut

:WRS:         You have replaced a lot of parts and my first question is did you replace them all at once or one at a time trying to find the problem? I would suggest checking the ignition points gap first, it will have an impact on your timing and could be the primary culprit. Also, have you gone through the carburetor adjustment procedure? If you don't have a Kohler manual you can download it free on this site, just click on the "Manuals" button at the top of the page.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Wheelhorse100

I have replaced them one at a time trying to find the problem. I will check the points gap, tommorrow thanks for the response 

Ed Kennell

Don't forget the spark plug.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

check the wirering on the coil. make sure you have the condenser on the right side

953 nut
3 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

check the wirering on the coil. make sure you have the condenser on the right side

Incoming 12 volt on the + side; points and condenser on the - side.

N3PUY

Does it "backfire" out the muffler or the air filter?

stevasaurus

Just a thought...if you still are not getting the gas you think you should...check the inside of your gas tank and the pet cock...usually some kind of filter in there also.  :)

Wheelhorse100

It backfires out of the muffler

Ed Kennell

After cleaning , or better yet, replacing the points, try setting them at 0.010"  instead of the manuals 0.020".

N3PUY

Since it backfires out the muffler it is going to be an "electrical problem".   Low battery voltage when running, dirty or incorrectly gapped points, bad condenser, even a poor contact in the ignition switch.   A blown fuse to the battery and the ignition feeds off the charging circuit will make the motor run really bad.  

• Like 3

953 nut
49 minutes ago, Wheelhorse100 said:

It backfires out of the muffler

Take the cover off the valve lifter area and ensure that the exhaust valve isn't hang slightly open; should have a little bit of space between the lifter and valve when closed, about .017", if it isn't pretty close to that the valve might not be closing completely.

• Like 1

953 nut

Another potential, though unlikely cause could be the automatic compression release fly weights being stuck holding the exhaust valve slightly open on compression stroke. Take a look at page 9.1 of this manual

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4104-engine-kohler-k-series-sm-tp-2379pdf/

Wheelhorse100

Ok I will try this tommorrow