ronhatch

TRANS OIL + A LITTLE STP?

ronhatch

Changed the transmission oil in my 857 trans the other day getting it ready for snow plowing. I added about 3 OZ. of STP to the 85W-140 gear oil  just for the heck of it. What is the general consensus on doing this? Yes? No? Waste of time?

Edited by ronhatch

slammer302

I don't think its going to hurt anything but may not help either the trans gears just roll through the oil so theirs not much to them as long as their is good clean oil in it and full you should be good  

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You're OK Ron.  I sometimes put a little Lucas Oil on the gears and bearings when I put one together.  I do not think you would want to put in more then you did though.  The gears actually throw the oil around to lube some of the stuff that is higher in the trans, so you do not want it too thick.  :)  Slammer is a lot farther south then we are...it gets cold up here.

• Like 2

DougC

When I was a kid we all had STP decals and rear air shocks on our '64 Chevy 2 door hard top Impalas. That stuff must have helped a little as hard as we used to run those old 327's we didn't blow 'em up too often...:auto-layrubber:

• Like 7

Smokey

STP has been used in a lot of stuff over the years.. My Dad always used it in every engine especially the Ford Jubilee and 300 Farmall.

I found an old can of STP in his shop that was probably from the 60's. The directions advised that you could slowly pour a can down the carb of a running engine for cleaning.  I haven't looked at a bottle of STP in years but I wonder if they still recommend it as a carb cleaner?

Bet it would cause a little smoke during the process. :P

• Like 1

qd-16

The Wheel Horse dealer in my area told me to add STP to the trans. oil if I ever drained the original oil.  I forget the exact reason why he told me to do this but he was very adamant about it.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Andy Granatelli made a lot of money off that brand. What I recall is that it actually raised the viscosity of oil. You could always tell who had it in their vehicles when it got cold. They would wear out the battery trying to get started.

Tankman

Years ago I delivered gear lube to UPS maintenance facilities.

UPS's records proved to them which gear lube gave their equipment the longest service life.

A friend raced stock cars, one race per rear. Three races per rear using UPS's gear lube.

Mobil1.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

squonk

My Power King trans takes a pint of oli. They have lots of clutch disengagement issues with the gears grinding. STP was recommended to help solve this. I know run straight Lucas oil supplement in it. Hard to kill an  old Crosley trans.