Sign in to follow this  
ferguson65

New from PA

ferguson65

Just checking in to say hello from southeast PA.  My search for a bagger for my 522xi has led me here and it seems that this site has the most xi activity.  I had checked two years ago and my dealer could still get a new one, but I cheaped out.  Here I am now, called the dealer today and it's NLA.  My wheelhorse experience started when my dad bought a new 520H leftover in the winter of 96.  48" plow and deck.  That thing is one tough tractor, it's been used, abused, beaten on and it just keeps on ticking, 1200 hours in it now.  When I bought a house in 2008 I stumbled on a listing on craigslist, title was just "tractor with 48" mower".  I clicked the link and found the pictures to show the 522xi, 397 hours, with 44" two stage blower, weight box, weights, chains and the 48" deck.  It was posted for $2600 and I had to have it.  Called and got the owner and asked if I could come give him a deposit right then.  He said just come with the cash the next night, so I did.  Really like this tractor especially the power steering.  A few issues have crept up with it, but I'm not overly easy on it.  Looking forward to satisfying my desire for attachments and maybe learning more about it on the way!

Scott

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Welcome, and glad to have another 5xi owner. They are nice machines. Too bad about the bagger being NLA. 

KC9KAS
:WRS: and :wwp:

AMC RULES
:WRS:

JC 1965

DougC

Welcome             :text-welcomeconfetti:   Enjoy the forum...........

ferguson65

It's sure not much to look at................The prior owner must have left it outside quite a bit, both tractor and blower as they are both faded pretty bad.  720 hours on it now.  Only pics I have on my phone.  Here's it in a fairly common position, I usually don't take pics of it unless something stupid happens, which is usually burying it somewhere in the yard, REALLY wish that Toro hadn't overlooked a diff lock!

horse1_zpsg8veh2kf.jpg

horse_zpszbgzlmke.jpg

It does need some work, and from some info I've found lurking around on here I'm going to start working on it.  It has started to creep backward in neutral, and I severely doubt it will hit 7.5 mph, it pulls hard just feels SLOW.  Found some info on here on adjusting neutral and I'm going to go over all the linkage from the pedal to trans.  Lost a mule drive pulley bearing and have that along with a new snowblower chain in the mail.  Voltage comaparator doesn't work most of the time and battery light stays on (charges good), but for what Toro wants for the part it may stay that way.  Biggest issue with it is that whoever assembled it (or just continued to run it) the rear hubs came loose on the axles and it not only wallowed the hubs out, but damaged the keyway slots in both axles.  I've tried to rig it up and get them to stay tight, but they always come loose.  maybe somebody here has crossed that bridge already................

ferguson65

Here's a half decent pic of the tractor, with the NOS bagger on it.  This thing works great!  Made my leaf clean up a whole lot easier.  Greased it and went over some linkages, took it down the road with the GPS, 4 MPH.  Guess there's still work to be done.

bagger_zpsldtluyef.jpg

JPWH

shallowwatersailor

4 mph sounds like it is in Lo-Range. How does forward versus reverse compare? Get the linkage adjusted correctly and then see what it does.

The electrical module seems to affect the later tractors even though it is the simpler and cheaper. My two '98 have the five wire version and don't have a problem (until now when I write this  :wacko:). My 2000 has the three wire version and the battery light is sometimes on/sometimes off but is charging at the correct rate.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

ferguson65

4 mph sounds like it is in Lo-Range. How does forward versus reverse compare? Get the linkage adjusted correctly and then see what it does.

The electrical module seems to affect the later tractors even though it is the simpler and cheaper. My two '98 have the five wire version and don't have a problem (until now when I write this  :wacko:). My 2000 has the three wire version and the battery light is sometimes on/sometimes off but is charging at the correct rate.

Oh believe me low range is really slow!  I only checked the rod ends on the first rod from the pedal assy.  Didn't pull the rear tin and check out under there yet.  Assuming I will find more stuff loose once I get under there.  And there's resetting the neutral position, it will go up a slight grade backward in neutral, I'll deal with that once I get the linkage all sorted.  Was all ready to get home from work early today, pull it in the garage and pull the rear tin off but, work, as always, happened.  I'll be thrilled if I can get it to go 7.5 that's for sure!

I just looked through the parts book at what all is involved in the smart turn system..........................holy smokes.  I was told when I bought it that the defeat kit was installed.  Need to do some investigating that's for sure.

Mine is a 99 and has the three wire according to the schematic, I can't remember as it's been a while since I fooled with it.  It does go out once in a while, but is on 95% of the time.  I think Toro wanted 86 bucks for that thing...............

Edited by ferguson65
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

The first thing to do is get the neutral position set. Be careful with it up on the jackstands when adjusting it. That is a lot of weight to come down! Then go through the linkage for anything that is loose.

The Smart Turn Defeat Kit is pretty simple as you just replace one plate and attachment points in the steering linkage with another. That is unless someone jury-rigged it! These tractors are pretty straight forward without any quirks.

The electrical module was never on any other Wheel Horse series. If the battery went dead, it just went dead. I guess Toro was looking for a different clientele that was accustomed to "idiot" lights and didn't want to leave them stranded. FYI, the five-wire is about twice the price but seems to have a better rate of not failing.

WNYPCRepair

My battery light stays on too. Not worth the money to fix it

shallowwatersailor

It is a solid state module so I wonder if it is a connection issue. Mine goes off occasionally. I guess that you could always remove the bulb so that you don't miss the engine light.

• Like 1

can whlvr