DougC

Lawn Sweepers

DougC

To old to rake leaves, load in pickup and haul to ditch. To many leaves and not enough guts to try the snow blower (neighbors already think I'm nuts.......... I wonder why.........)

I thought I should probably just break down and buy a lawn sweeper if they actually work. Never used one. I could also use for grass trimmings and dump in garden in mowing season.

What do you guys use and how do you like or rate them. So many mixed reviews it's hard to tell what to get. I have a large area with lots of trees so I don't think a 42 inch would hold enough. 

Can't afford the big motorized units nor have the space to store one.

Have bought lottery ticket and am still able to cross fingers...............:lol:

• Like 2

gwest_ca

How about a 44" model?
http://www.agri-fab.com/Products/Sweepers.aspx

The first one I got was junk but the dealer ended up replacing it for me since Agrifab was no help. The new one is much better so far. What I like about this design is the brush is raised and lowered rather than the wheels. I added an electric actuator to move the brush from the tractor seat on the fly and a scale to tell where the brush is. Found that you just keep travelling and lower the brush until the leaves start to fly. When the hopper is full raise the brush and head for the dump area. What is hard on them is getting the brush too far into the grass. Lent it to my dad so may never get it back. It does fold up to a compact size for storage.

Garry

• Like 1

squonk

I have an old Brinly that I got used. When grass is growing it is used every week. I do wish the brush adjusted with out the wheels moving. If I set it too low the wheels drag instead of rolling. I may look into that Agri fab in the future.

• Like 1

cleat

The bagger that came with my 416 works a lot better than the sweeper that I had.

It sort of vacuums and then mulches the leaves and grass clippings.

Cleat

• Like 2

cheesegrader

I used an Agri-fab tow behind sweeper for a few years.  Seems like I spent more time emptying the basket than actually sweeping.
Sometimes I would only get 20 feet into the lawn before it was time to dump.
It worked fine for $200, but it took forever.
The 60" mower deck did a good job blasting the lighter stuff into the woods as well.
Now I use a Stihl backpack blower in the tight areas, and the Sweepster power broom for the rest.
The blower is better for light, dry leaves.  The power broom rocks if things are a little damp, and also makes short work of sticks and thatch.
It will dig a trench in the lawn of you aren't careful about height adjsutments.  I was a little disappointed with the sweepster performance in deep piles.
More like a plow than a broom when things get deep.
I had a nice tailwind today, and just finished.IMG_0482.thumb.jpg.752bcace2a3ec70a65f62

• Like 2

sorekiwi

I love my Craftsman High speed sweeper (made by Agrifab). 

Even works with pine needles!

WP_20141014_013_zps0b0cf664.jpg

Edited by sorekiwi
Forgot something!!
  • Like 2

2kflhr

I bought an agri-fab sweeper off of Craigslist for $60 to use when the grass needs moving every 4th day and when I can only get to it every 7th day in the spring to early summer and it works great. I prefer to let the recycler do its job but it is taxed when the grass is thick and a little tall. I also use to gather leaves after I run over them with the recycler deck so it holds a good bit after it's mulched. I haven't regretted the purchase at all.

• Like 1

Tankman

Years ago used Jackson and/or Parker sweepers. Work great and keep the grass lawns clean.

Nowadays I gust blow all into the surrounding woods.

leaves.png

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I've been pulling my agra-fab 42" sweeper on and off today. It easily picks up pine needles and pine cones, sweetgum balls, leaves and grass clippings. I bought it in brand new condition for $95 off CL. I think it was a divorce sale. The lady also had a brand new looking JD 300 series lawn tractor and mower for sale. The sweeper has been well worth every penny I paid for it.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I LOVE my Jonsered (RedMax) backpack blower!  I still want a tow behind collector of some sort to collect the leaves, but I would NOT trade my backpack for one!

Edited by DennisThornton
NOT

953 nut

We have about two acres of lawn with about a hundred mature leaf shedding trees. When I first got the sweeper it did seem to fill up in a heartbeat.  I use a 42" rear discharge mower while towing the 42" Agri-fab sweeper, mowing the leaves grinds them up before they go in the sweeper so they don't fill it up so fast. Also, being ground up they will compost faster.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

I really like my 36" RD except that it's only 36"!  I have a 42 RD that needs some work.  I also have a sweep/bagger and that sounds like a good combo!  Humm...

mrc

hi cheesegrader,  the 520h with broom looks good but,  the scenery behind the tractor is AWESOME!  maybe change your nickname to mr. lucky  regards   mike in mass.

• Like 2

sdhdcouple

I love my agri fab sweeper.  pulls straight, off set to left or right or what ever you want.  adjust up and down for top layer leaves or deep grass.

And it was already painted to match the tractor.

6258.jpg

6270.jpg

Edited by sdhdcouple
Squirel moment
  • Like 5

cleat

Except for the colour your tractor looks like the Simplicity Baron that I used to own.

I liked that tractor with it's 4 speed shuttle shift.

Even has the same headlights on the side of the hood.

Mine had the cast iron Briggs 13HP engine.

Cleat

Wheel-N-It
7 hours ago, sdhdcouple said:

I love my agri fab sweeper.  pulls straight, off set to left or right or what ever you want.  adjust up and down for top layer leaves or deep grass.

And it was already painted to match the tractor.

6258.jpg

6270.jpg

Now thats Bad A$$ right there!!! I don't care if it is Orange!

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Sweet Allis tractor right there.  Beautiful. Is that. 720?

Edited by Snowmobileaddict

sdhdcouple

well, the 712 and 716 look like that.  that one has a 2 cylinder diesel in it.

chorusguy

I have both a sweeper and a tow behind sweeper.   Both agri fab.  Both older and both bought used.  I was really amazed how well the sweeper did in my "yard".  I don't have much grass due to poor soil and lots of shade but it still picked up pinestraw and gumballs.  It does work even better when sweeping off of grass. I don't mow when I pull it because I get a lot of dirt swept up and in my field I don't want to use its capacity for grass clippings.  The three drawbacks for me are the limited capacity,  the frequency with which I get the tipping rope wound around the brushes (user error) and with uneven ground it skips over yard debris or the wheels skip.  The vacuum also works well and has a larger capacity so I use that for grass.  The drawbacks with it is that it is cumbersome and noisy.  The added vacuum does help with the uneven ground. Although the trailer on the vac tilts, that feature is basically useless.  It is hard to get to the release and when the trailer is full its too heavy to tip. Either one is still a hell of a lot better than hand raking and dragging a tarp or using a small garden tractor yard cart to haul the debris.  

Edited by chorusguy
misspell
  • Like 2

Molon_Labe
On 11/28/2015, 8:22:31, 953 nut said:

We have about two acres of lawn with about a hundred mature leaf shedding trees. When I first got the sweeper it did seem to fill up in a heartbeat.  I use a 42" rear discharge mower while towing the 42" Agri-fab sweeper, mowing the leaves grinds them up before they go in the sweeper so they don't fill it up so fast. Also, being ground up they will compost faster.

I run the same setup and dump the shredded leaves on the garden. Over 200 bushels this year, great fertilizer.