Snowmobileaddict

Picked up a Kwik-Way Loader for my 522xi

Snowmobileaddict

WHX6:

Thanks for the offer!  I will keep that in mind.  

I am all-in on the CTC bucket. It weighs 100lbs.  Although, mine is about 15-20lbs overweight because the previous owner welded all sorts of extra 1/4" plate on the bottoms and the curve of the outside of the bucket for heavy lifting with welded on hook.  If you take all that off the factory kwikway bucket should be about 95-98 lbs.

Right now jI'm just waiting for Rod, the owner of the outfit, to call me back to take my Credit Card info and confirm a time and place for pickup.

Rod said that if I prepay, he would have a bucket ready for me this week.  He'd even leave it for me to pickup after hours if need be. Very cool.  Better part is I'm off all week too.

it shouldn't be too hard to fit this bucket to my frame.  The mounting ears will just need to be matched up for the width of my

boom and likely slid down a bit farther than how they build them for the CTC loaders.

• Like 2

WHX??

Yah if he's gonna leave it out for after hrs thats being real cool. I am going up sometime Wens afternoon late and be back thru on Sunday, usually always have an empty truck or trailer. I may even try to get ther during hrs to see if he could machine some bushings in a suburban axle for me. Let me know

Looks like we are finally gettin some snow.

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Well, I'm all paid up.

My father in law will be picking the bucket up for me too.  Excellent.  I didn't even know it, but he is up at their cottage in Wisconsin Rapids right now. That's just a short hop down the freeway for him.

I'll post up some photos when I get my hands on it.

• Like 2

WHX??

Real short hop...He's a good man then ...yah pics please!!

Snowmobileaddict

Moroso filter mount came in and is ready to mount up.  I need to get a 5" length of steel channel to weld to the inside of the upright so I can mount it with 3/8" nuts and bolts.  It's a good fit and doesn't interfere with legroom.

zztU8RW.jpg

X7VYNoS.jpg

Edited by Snowmobileaddict
  • Like 1

WHX??

nice...Is that snow I see on that sled ski I see??

roadapples

I also added a filter to my loader, but could you explain the suction strainer valve more thoroughly. This is new to me, although I don`t  know a lot about hydraulics.

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 3:56 PM, WHX6 said:

nice...Is that snow I see on that sled ski I see??

YEAH!

my wife took my daughters for a lap around the yard on her sled.  It's the 2-up

3X4tjzH.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice!!!:text-yeahthat::banana-skier:FINALLY got a little dusting ...neeed more to get trails open around here ......now go git after that FEL! Heard they got trails opened up north?

Edited by WHX6
add

Snowmobileaddict

We are right on the verge of opening our trails in our county.  Problem is the swamps are not frozen.  Lots of sloppy slushy spots.

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 4:15 PM, roadapples said:

I also added a filter to my loader, but could you explain the suction strainer valve more thoroughly. This is new to me, although I don`t  know a lot about hydraulics.

So, I read up on where to put a hydro filter. Best place being in the return line, so that's what I'm doing.

Just like a 5xi has a strainer screen on the left side that is user serviceable, I decided to do something simulate with my loader hydraulics.

The strainer looks like a clean out, but is actually described in industry as a "y strainer".  Here is what I bought.

QFzYMo7.jpg

ie0k5yb.jpg

That strainer will protect the pump and the  valve from larger debris.  The 80 mesh is .007" openings.

Its probably overkill, but wanted to do one anyway.  It was a cheap enough add-on so I figured what the heck.  You could mount a hydro filter in that location, but I've read that you are best served having it in the return line.

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

New bucket is on its way to my shop!

rVYZ9h5.jpg

• Like 3

Snowmobileaddict

The bucket looks really nice.  CTC also included 2 sets of mounting ears.  1 set is blank and the other is drilled for 3/4" pins the same as they sell with their loaders.

I'll have to fool around with the predrilled set.  They just might work and would save me the trouble of drilling my own.

I did some bucket comparison, and although the 48" CTC bucket is 8" wider, it's depth and height are less than the Kwikway by a bit.  From my figures, the kwikway has an appx 7.5 cubic ft capacity and the CTC is 7.28 cubic ft.  Close enough for me.  I kind of like having the bucket a bit wider than the front axle track.

HnO8IUe.jpg

5sv74Kt.jpg

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

This bucket is a great fit.  The predrilled mounting ears even work out great when spaced at 37-5/8" on center with 1-3/4" gap for the boom and the cylinders.

I checked for bucket tilt at ground level and thoughout the boom range and we are good to go.  I ripped a 2x4 to 1.75" as a spacer and got to weldin'

T4ZTvq9.jpg

EJgNZ1t.jpg

f9ITYpn.jpg

18crKt7.jpg

Cw8zQPT.jpg

xnsIoAp.jpg

VBovmZB.jpg

1hEynci.jpg

Added photos
  • Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Got some more shop time in tonight and was able to weld on the oil filter mounting bracket and work up a heavy-duty storage stand solution as well. 

My loader didn't come with the storage stands so I had to think up something to park this thing on.  While looking through the catalog for my favorite Chinese tool store (Harbor Freight) I found something that would fit the bill.  Heavy duty, side-wind, weld-on trailer jacks (Harbor Freight part #3961).  These babies have a 3,500lb capacity each and have a weld on ring that goes onto a trailer, or in this case a loader upright, and they also have a weld-on receiver that goes on the trailer jack.  I used some 25% off coupons that ran though New Years and got these for $38 a piece.   They have a drop leg as well, so you don't have to crank the thing all day to get it where you want it.  Installation was a snap and with some black paint, it will look like a factory option, I think.  Pull a pin and the whole thing comes off the loader upright.

Here are some photos.

WtSeltY.jpg

GK247mu.jpg

MMVAMb9.jpg

Usbk90w.jpg

SHjJjK9.jpg

EJAFiFV.jpg

mWPLaZQ.jpg

UwQVsIC.jpg

image_11240.jpg

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

That is a job to be proud of, for sure. 

roadapples

Great idea, and only burnt one hole in the sheet. LOL

• Like 1

WHX??

Good eye Apples---better the sheet than the tractor!

Love the storage stands ... excellent idea, and can always use dollies for ez movin around!

Edited by WHX6
  • Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

Dang!  I even tried to hide that before I snapped the pic!

i had finished a short bead and flipped up my helmet and smelled something funny burning.  Ah!! The linens are on fire! Hahaha

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

That is really progressing well. You better put your name on it!

I had a friend who was a fire inspector that had a garden hose hooked up - inside his house. He figured he could contain a fire until the boys arrived to kn ock it down. The scarey part is that he had to use it once!

I have an extinguisher on every level , some even two, around the house.

15 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

Love the storage stands ... excellent idea, and can always use dollies for ez movin around!

Just substitute castor wheels for the pads. Use a dolly under the bucket.

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

Paint, paint, paint, paint and more paint.  I'm getting a headache from all these aerosol VOC's.  Time to call it a day.  Another day, another rattle can.  Need to paint the subframe and the front diagonal brace mounts still.

Z4nWZGx.jpg

4C19kfA.jpg

25Evo6N.jpg

RGjO1ng.jpg

0WYs4Fz.jpg

X3SRJBV.jpgCzixamA.jpg

QF5GPe1.jpg

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

If us XI owners had been smart enough, we would have paid you to have a few extra side pieces laser cut for the front mount. :)  

I would love to have a couple to try to build something for the XI.

mikekot3

You might want to purchase a 3M P95 respirator for paint fumes. They are about 30 dollars which is much cheaper medical bills.

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

Had some milder weather yesterday so I got out to the shop last night to do some more work.

Since the trailer jacks that I got from Harbor Freight have nearly 18" of drop-leg, I decided to cut them in half and weld casters onto them.  This way I have the option to place a movers dolly under the bucket and have a completely mobile storage solution.  I'll be able to roll it around the garage when ever I need to.

bCf7WF3.jpg

I also got some more goodies in the mail yesterday as well.  Dixon quick connects came in for the pressure and suction side of the hydraulic system.  These will allow me to separate the pump with the hoses from the loader for storage purposes.  I also got a set of dust plugs and caps.  Quick connects came from www.universalhoseandfittings.com

lizpnRh.jpg

Last thing before calling it a night was getting a couple of coats of paint on the uprights and finishing up the hydraulic pump painting.  The last painting needed is the midmount subframe and the front diagonal brace mounts.

I think I'm down to a couple more rattle cans to buy and a jug of hydraulic fluid before finishing up plumbing. 

gu9ULNb.jpg

sxcZOml.jpg

FxydLoh.jpg 

• Like 4

doc724

Andy, I like your idea for quick connects for the suction side.  For me, that has always been the most difficult challenge of getting the loader on and off-probably because mine is zip tied to one of the angular support bars.  Every time I put the loader on, I forget to route it to the inside of the support ears.