Fun Engineer

Poor performing 36 " RD mower deck. HELP NEEDED

Fun Engineer

I'm using a 36" RD deck on my C-81 to mow the neighbors yard and I'm not happy with the cut. It doesn't pickup and cut the grass very well and is useless to mulch leaves.

I've adjusted it according to the manual but there is no improvement.

Belt is routed correctly, blades are sharp and right side up [emoji6]

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dave Burley

Sent from my tractor seat.

jachady

I don't think the rear discharge decks are good at mulching.  They don't keep the leaves inboard long enough to get chopped up.  Not sure about the grass cutting, maybe the belt speed isn't fast enough.

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:           You are driving it with the inboard (larger) pulley on the PTO aren't you?

slammer302

Are all the baffles in good shape this helps the vacuum of the blades and make sure you are running at full throttle when mowing

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sparky

Are you positive that your getting the motor up to max RPM's? I think 3600 is max....if you were only getting say 3000rpm's that would make a difference.
Mike......

doc724

RD decks in general do not pick up at all.  The clippings are dropped behind the mower as the machine moves forward.  The are quite handy in cutting around trees and other objects where you can get close to the object on both sides of the tractor.  Also, RD decks do not have (need) high lift blades like a side discharge.  Cutting quality is dependent on several variables; sharpness of blades,  blade speed, tractor speed, moisture content (wet v. dry), deck height, grass height, blade lift, and horsepower.  Spinning a mower uses a lot of HP.  If you are cutting tall, wet grass and taking a full bite with the mower, you will overwhelm the engine and reduce blade tip speed.  Generally I only cut in 2nd speed, even on my 14hp machine. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

What is ground speed of the C 81 ? I run  36 RD Deck on my 310-8 at max throttle and in 1st gear most of the time if it tall grass or leaves. I drop the deck height  down for leaves. Back up over the leaves and it will mulch them.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Dave,
Have you used this mower/tractor combination before with success?

TDF5G

Backing up over the leaves a couple of times will mulch them up fairly well.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:    When used in reverse... 
them RD decks are mulching machines.  
  • Like 1

Fun Engineer

Great suggestions guys. My experience with Wheel Horse decks includes the early two blade 36" RD decks on the 857 and the 48" SD on my GT1848. I

know the RD won't do much to mulch (except in reverse) but that's a lot of work and dangerous on my neighbors yard. I'm using the correct pulley and mowing in 1st. I'm running the engine with the throttle lever all the way up but it may not be running at full throttle. I'll have to check that out tomorrow after the snow melts.

This is the first summer I've used this tractor and mower Bob so I was expecting better results based on my other Wheel Horse tractors.

I'll review all the suggestions and report back on my progress or lack of. [emoji2]

Dave Burley

Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1