chorusguy

led lights-ok, I'm lazy

chorusguy

I've read many of the posts about adding led lights and its something I want to do.  What I've read many who have done this have just picked up some from Wally world.  I've looked and I can't seem to determine what size I need and some of the boxes don't say what the wattage is.  So.  Here is what I want to know.  Which product works?  I want the name of the store and the product or SKU number for the lights.  I can't seem to figure this out on my own.

Thanks

rjg854

I purchased replacement 1156 led bulbs which fit into the sockets on my 68 Commando from Autozone

• Like 2

Aldon

Google 1156 LED bulbs.

or search the online retail you commonly used.

i liked reviews on these although they use ~ 4-4.5 watts.
image.thumb.jpg.4c9aac3445cb49a827738b75

Edited by Aldon

DennisThornton

I was just about to post that both of my attempts were no improvement over plain incandescent bulbs, but maybe $17 each would be!  Gadds!

From link below:
A standard 1156 bulb puts out about 400 lumens when new. As of January 2010, I haven't found an LED replacement that puts out any more, and most are only 50 lumens or so, not enough for a standard 1156 housing.
To confirm the above: From Bosch Automotive Handbook7th ed. a 1156 (BA15S) Stop/Turn 21W bulb puts out 460 lumens. For a 5W Side marker / Tail BA15S it is 50 lumens (strangely low, I know) and 10W Tail light 125 lumens.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_lumens_for_an_led_replacement_vs_stock_1156_bulb

So these 800 lumen LEDs should be rather impressive!  Price certainly is!

Hey!  Just noticed the price is indeed for a pair!  I just ordered from Amazon!

Edited by DennisThornton
Just noticed the price is indeed for a pair!
  • Like 2

RedRanger

LED is nice because it does not draw as much current, but just replacing the two 1156/1157 bulbs what ever they are, I saw no improvement.  Color of light changed, but no more brighter than a standard bulb.

If you want real light for a workhorse, consider these.  I put them on my JD and they light the neighborhood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Pair-48W-16Leds-6000K-White-Square-Work-Light-Flood-Light-For-Jeep-Truck-FM-/151841836573?hash=item235a7a8e1d&vxp=mtr

Theroundhousernr

I was just about to post that both of my attempts were no improvement over plain incandescent bulbs, but maybe $17 each would be!  Gadds!

From link below:
A standard 1156 bulb puts out about 400 lumens when new. As of January 2010, I haven't found an LED replacement that puts out any more, and most are only 50 lumens or so, not enough for a standard 1156 housing.
To confirm the above: From Bosch Automotive Handbook7th ed. a 1156 (BA15S) Stop/Turn 21W bulb puts out 460 lumens. For a 5W Side marker / Tail BA15S it is 50 lumens (strangely low, I know) and 10W Tail light 125 lumens.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_lumens_for_an_led_replacement_vs_stock_1156_bulb

There is a set of 1200 lumens on amazon for $24.99. Dont know if you saw those or not.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Can you post that Amazon link here?  :thanks:

DennisThornton

From link below:

There is a set of 1200 lumens on amazon for $24.99. Dont know if you saw those or not.

I didn't even look!  But I will!  Thanks!

SethL1984

My suggestion would be something similar to THIS... Instead of just a bulb replace the whole thing. Cheaper, brighter. Search the site for exactly what your're looking for; they are excellent at cross referencing numbers too.

Theroundhousernr
http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Chipsets-Projector/dp/B00NPIN8FI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1444919229&sr=8-5&keywords=1156+led

Here is the link. There are others with higher lumens but not as good reviews. This company even states in the listing to beware of fake sellers and to contact them if you suspect issue. I agree with the super bright led floods and spots are a better option for use like I have on my snow cab. But for those who want to keep a show tractor original with better lights for night time use like parades, these could be a great option. I might try them myself.

Theroundhousernr

Also addition of a good reflector

IndyFord2

If your going to keep it switch to LED it's well worth the money. Like mentioned before super low amp draw and almost no heat.I have actually melted a plastic lens on my C100.  I have 2 pick ups and have switched all back up, cargo, 3rd brake & interior lights to LED. The pic's don't really do it justice, they do work well at night. I use superbrightled.com and have been happy with there products and there return policy is good if you aren't happy with the lights. I went with the more traditional look, it's not as bright as the other ones shown but like I said I'm happy. This is a new lens cover and I removed & painted the housing white.I got the rear light bar at a local store. (drilled NO holes) Got two magnets from the hardware and fastened them to light bar, it's almost too bright at night. What you cant see is an LED map light mounted up under the rear fender. Its a perfect hook up light and has its own switch

DSCN0704.JPG

DSCN0706.JPG

DSCN0709.JPG

• Like 1