New wheel

520H. Battery/ charging issue

New wheel

Took notice last time out when I stopped mowing I idle it down for a bit ,blow off the deck and engine dept. pulled in the shed and batt gage was reading in the yellow. Sure enough shut her down and the starter gear ground and it wouldn't start. Didn't mess with it. Charged batt. Yesterday started up with some more grinding noise. Gage showed charging in green, 1/2 hour later gage is back in the yellow, and battery charge is gone. What could be causing this?  Thanks

Edited by New wheel

djohn24

Hi New wheel, There are several post on here that, refer to this issue. For starters, how old is your battery? Age could be the problem. Sometimes even new batteries can go bad.

Make sure you have good, clean, tight connections with your positive & negative cables to your battery posts. Also make sure your negative cable is grounded proper. The issue I recently had was, one of my wires to the voltage regulator was disconnected. Voltmeter would read a little over 12 when turning the key on but, when I would start the tractor it would drop below 10. Charged the battery back up and saw the disconnected wire on the voltage regulator. Hooked it back on and when I started the tractor...the voltmeter went up over 14.

Make sure the wires on the voltage regulator have good connection and the regulator is fasten down tight. I would assume if it's not the battery and all of your connections are good. Then it may be the regulator. There is a way to test things with a voltmeter. Don't know how to tell you to do it but, I know the info is in other posts on here that will tell you how. That's about all the help I can give you. Or another member will jump in here and be of more help.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
:text-yeahthat:  And also check the fuses and the connections to the fuse blocks, and the big 10 pin molex connector.  They all have a history of corroding to the point where the resistance increases enough to cause connectors and wire insulation to melt.
  • Like 1

New wheel

Thanks. I will check these out. Battery is about 1-1/2 years old. It showed no signs if being weak all summer .  Thanks for the info. I will check all these out

New wheel

Ok. Checked connections ok battery showing good charge( after charging)  starts up battery charge stays in green then drops down. Don't remember what normal is?  Turn headlights on and it pegs down to the bottom ?

djohn24

Ok New wheel, what model tractor and engine are we talking about?

New wheel

1988 520H. 20 ho onan 

Kurt-NEPA

I would check the regulator.  The service manual has the procedure.  The regulator is a common failure on Onan's.  Best price I could find for one was on Amazon.

Kurt

djohn24

Here is a link on how to check your regulator.

• Like 1

djohn24

New wheel, any updates? If you don't have a voltmeter to check things out. You won't be able to narrow the issue down. I have one and would be willing to come check it for you. You are just down the road from me. Let me know

Denny

• Like 2

New wheel

Didn't find anything loose. Ran it Saturday had no problems. Will get back to you if needed. Thanks appreciate the offer   I do not have a volt meter