russellmc301

i have my eye on a suburban

russellmc301

I was wondering how i could tell if all the gears work or not. how to tell what is wrong with the engine and a check over it and make sure that all the stuff works.
 Also i kind of woundered to know how much to would cost to get the engine working and have it driving around

slammer302

its hard to tell if all the gears work if the engine won't run about the only thing i can think of is jack it up and spin the input pulley by hand through all the gears but that will only tell you so much when it comes to the engine it depends on what motor it is and what condition it is in i bought a HF 212cc for 100$ and put it on mine for riding around and saved the original motor so when i'm a old man i will rebuild it and make it right again.lol  

Racinbob
:WRS:
That's a tough one to answer with the information provided. So much depends on your ability to do the mechanical stuff. It's not difficult to work on these little tractors and you can be assured that you'll get all the help you need right here. 

russellmc301

well now i have it so we can answer those questions:P

stevasaurus

Well that took some time to procure.  :think:  Is this the same horse from last August??

Slammer is correct for the transmission gears.  I would add...in neutral, turn one of the wheels in any direction...the other tire should turn in the opposite direction.  This will tell you if the inside of your differential (pinions and axle gears) are OK.  Do this on each side.  :)  Is this a 3 piece tranny, or a 2 piece?  The 2 piece has a drain plug on the bottom.  Use one of the lower side panel bolts to drain the 3 piece.  The oil will tell you something about the trans.  How about some pictures? 

• Like 2

russellmc301

there is a plug on top and one in the back too .i check the spinning axle thing and it did the right thing and also when i did both at same time the pulley spun.

for pictures go over to project Jr. for them.

the reason it toke so long to get was we got other projects and the person needed some stuff so we traded.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Just so you know.  That is a Wheel Horse #5010 transmission.  The top plug is the fill plug.  The plug in back on the side is to check the level of the oil...it is not a drain plug.  The oil level should be at the top of the hole when you take out this plug.  Like I said...to drain the oil, take out one of the lower side plate bolts.  :)

• Like 2