yan2947

D-180 forward reverse neutral problem

yan2947

I am having a problem with my old d-180 tractor.  The tractor sometimes jumps into forward.  The hand lever to control forward/reverse and neutral does not work correctly and sometimes I need to use a long screwdriver behind the hand lever to get the tractor back into its correct position so that the lever can catch correctly.  Is there a solution for this?

thanks in advance,

Yan

pacer

OK, I'll see if I can describe some of the workings of this - kinda weird? - shifter. (You really need to look up the manual on it, there are some pictures in it with a description)

Is your shifter slot split mid way to let the handle drop down into the neutral slot? If so teach your self to NEVER let it get in there. My 180 has that neutral position and I learned years ago to not let the handle get there, causing what you describe to untangle the mess it creates. I have 4 D's and the 180 is the only one that has that extra slot for neutral, evidently WH saw a problem there and didnt put it on all tractors, my other 3 D's dont have it.

On the 'lurching' it does -- on the right side of the dash tower where there are a couple of 'windows' showing the linkage you will see 2 bolt heads, in the larger hole one with a 1/2" head on top of a much larger hex. This is for adjusting the neutral position and you would need the manual in order to do this. (I dont mess with this one) In the other smaller opening you will see a 9/16" hex head bolt, this is the adjustment that should help with the 'lurching' Turn this in a little bit, maybe an 1/8 turn, drive the tractor and see if it helped, if not try another small turn (I stick the ratchet/socket in my pocket and drive around the yard)

The linkage on these tractors is a rather complicated setup and obviously has a lot of use on them and they are gonna be finicky . My D-160 is very touchy about getting it in neutral.

yan2947

Pacer, I have the manual and I am reading it now.  Thank you.  It mentions "Disengage the parking brake".  I have a brake pedal but I do not have a parking brake.  Why is that?  There is no slot where the parking brake lever shouild stick out under the light switch.  My panel below does not say parking brake.  Am I missing something?  Do I have an earlier model D-180?

Yan

IMG_4015.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4020.JPG

Niagara D

Based on the front tires it appears as though you have an earlier one. The parking brake may be on the horizontal pan just in front of the seat on them. The manual has a great description on adjusting the linkage just make sure its next to you when your at your tractor for clarification purposes.

yan2947

This D-180 appears to have no parking brake.  Will that change the instructions in the manual?

pacer

Your D is just like mine, there is no park brake as such. When the 'brake' pedal is applied all it does is disengage the shift lever to the neutral position (I dont ever remember using my 'brake' pedal) which I'm sure youre aware of that simply pulling the shifter back will bring the tractor to a screeching halt! Thats why I mentioned that I have never fooled with that neutral adjustment on the linkage. My 18Auto has the park brake lever on the dash - while I have never looked closely at it it seems to be similar to a the park position on a car, just putting a 'lock' on shifting the tractor until released. My D-200 and the D-160 is like the 180.

pfrederi

In early D series the parking brake was engaged by moving the direction control lever into that lower slot.  That engaged the parking pawl in the transmission case.  Later models used a separate lever mounted under the instrument panel to engage the pawl.  For a period after the switch WH was still using the hood stand that had the lower slot but it no longer did anything.  Some dealers blocked it off.  My D200 has the lower slot but also has the parking brake below the instrument panel. 

The use of the lower slot for the parking brake engagement was a terrible idea. It was way to easy to miss reverse and go into the lower slot while you were still rolling...why so many Ds have broken parking pawls

yan2947

I got my manual out and brought it to the tractor.  #2 in the list says to Loosen the lock screw holding the "eccentric assembly".    I took my panel off and took some photos.  I am going to assume (please let me know if I am wrong) that the "Lock Screw) is a screw but with a square 1/4" or so end.  I have a photo below with a screw driver touching it.  #3 says to depress the brake pedal and keep it depressed so I used a bungee cord to hold it depressed.  The problem I have is in #4.  It says the following:

Start the engine and run it at half throttle.  (done)  Disengage the parking brake.  ( I don't have one)  Insert a screwdriver through the hole in the side panel and rotate the eccentric cam pin to a point midway between forward wheel rotation and backward wheel rotation.  (OMG - I am lost.  Nothing in the diagram to say what the eccentric cam pin ... is).   A little help with how to rotate cam pin...

thanks!

IMG_4026c.jpg

IMG_4027c.jpg

Edited by yan2947