elliot ness

Building a loader

DennisThornton

I'm following along with a great deal of interest but I'm also wondering how a purchased FEL kit is mounted?  What do they mount to?  Any welding required?  Drilling and mounting brackets?

Thanks for any insights!

elliot ness

I'm following along with a great deal of interest but I'm also wondering how a purchased FEL kit is mounted?  What do they mount to?  Any welding required?  Drilling and mounting brackets?

Thanks for any insights!

Dennis, Most  all kits are bolted to the frame work, pump, and sub frame ect.  I have bought many for the D & C series tractors, along with many other makes of tractors over the past 20 years. Ark, Johnson, kwic way, danco, an a few other I can't think of right now. So yes most are bolt on's.

• Like 1

muz123

You think the 20hp will be able to handle the 60 inch and the loader? In the brochure it only shows i having a loader.

Edited by muz123

elliot ness

You think the 20hp will be able to handle the 60 inch and the loader? In the brochure it only shows i having a loader.

I have put a loader and a deck on a 12 hp. 312 A and it handled it just fine. and it had a 48 in deck, The 20hp Onan will do great as far as power. I even put a loader on an electro 12 and run a till also All that being said, you still have to know the tractor limitations as far as  frame strength, and spindle strength. and as with any loader on a garden tractor, never steer it when it's sitting still with a load in the bucket, wait till it moving. And if you have a D series make sure your thrust bearing under your front axles are there and in good condition.:happy-jumpeveryone:

Day 6, everything I thought was right yesterday turned out not to be . So after some rework on the loader under carriage, to the tune of 4hrs.  I got the deck on the tractor and it works with the loader frame, so back to more grinding and welding tomorrow.

S3700002.JPG

S3700001.JPG

S3700003.JPG

S3700004.JPG

S3700005.JPG

S3700006.JPG

S3700007.JPG

• Like 1

mikekot3

Would it be possible to make a drawing with measurements of your loader once you get it all figured out and what materials you used?
Thank you,
mike

elliot ness

Would it be possible to make a drawing with measurements of your loader once you get it all figured out and what materials you used?
Thank you,
mike

Sure.:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 4

muz123

Sweeet!! Love it!

mikekot3

Thank you !!

elliot ness

Day 7, finished the brackets on the loader arms and welded also now paint this evening. Plus much more fitting and welding tomorrow.

S3700001.JPG

S3700002.JPG

S3700003.JPG

S3700004.JPG

• Like 3

muz123

How many hours are on your 520? just wondering. 

elliot ness

How many hours are on your 520? just wondering. 

1025.7 hrs.

elliot ness

Day 7 yet painted the loader arm frame.:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone: Still a ton of fitting , grinding, plumbing, ect.  but  I see light at the end of the loader frame

S3700001.JPG

S3700002.JPG

S3700003.JPG

elliot ness

Day 8. painted the uprights and mounted some things.  Tomorrow going to figure out the pump and pulley off the left side of Onan. I can tell now that it is going to be a tight fit.

S3700003.JPG

S3700007.JPG

S3700005.JPG

• Like 3

muz123

Nice! Looks even better. :handgestures-thumbupright:

DennisThornton

Awesome that the deck fits!  But honestly, do you plan on mowing with it?  Lot's of weight and balance issues for a mowing machine!

Awesome thread with pictures!

I'm "Following" along!

elliot ness

Awesome that the deck fits!  But honestly, do you plan on mowing with it?  Lot's of weight and balance issues for a mowing machine!

Awesome thread with pictures!

I'm "Following" along!

Dennis; I made a 312 A with a loader and a deck and sold it to a friend and to answer your question he leaves the loader on when he mows, I will most likely sometime in the future sell this loader, I only build them this way for a good challenge, and this one is living up to that. And the deck is actually a stabilizer for the tractors when you add a loader.

DennisThornton

Didn't think of it at first but I can understand the deck helping to lower the center of gravity and actually make the loader more stable.  But I think it's the exact opposite when it come to mowing.  Can't see the FEL being much help while cutting grass.  Though we do raise dogs and there have been some moments...  Hmmm?

WNYPCRepair

Didn't think of it at first but I can understand the deck helping to lower the center of gravity and actually make the loader more stable.  But I think it's the exact opposite when it come to mowing.  Can't see the FEL being much help while cutting grass.  Though we do raise dogs and there have been some moments...  Hmmm?

If you have a Great Dane or Newfoundland you will need the loader to scoop!  :)

• Like 3

dewdew

Looks real nice. I love following these projects. Keep up the pics.

elliot ness

One angle bracket complete.

S3700001.JPG

S3700002.JPG

DennisThornton

Several Labradors!  Don't want to have to pooper scoop for anything larger unless I can ride it too!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

S3700002.JPG

Not to detract from your story, but is that a loose engine bolt?

Several Labradors!  Don't want to have to pooper scoop for anything larger unless I can ride it too!

Kids could ride either with no problem. Probably not my fat rear though, I would break their back!

When I first started my PC business, I also sold fence for a friend to help pay the bills. I did an estimate where the guy had two Danes, and apparently never cleaned up after them. There was crap everywhere, and the piles were huge. There was still snow on the ground, and the smell was so bad I couldn't stay to measure, I just estimated, doubled it to be safe and make up for our guys having to work there. I assumed he would say no, but he took the bid. I may have been the only guy to not just leave

elliot ness

S3700002.JPG

Not to detract from your story, but is that a loose engine bolt?   YES it is.

Kids could ride either with no problem. Probably not my fat rear though, I would break their back!

When I first started my PC business, I also sold fence for a friend to help pay the bills. I did an estimate where the guy had two Danes, and apparently never cleaned up after them. There was crap everywhere, and the piles were huge. There was still snow on the ground, and the smell was so bad I couldn't stay to measure, I just estimated, doubled it to be safe and make up for our guys having to work there. I assumed he would say no, but he took the bid. I may have been the only guy to not just leave

elliot ness

I had an idea this morning. Maybe just maybe, I should try to build a small backhoe for the 520 H after the loader is completed. What do you folks think?:ROTF:

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

muz123

I had an idea this morning. Maybe just maybe, I should try to build a small backhoe for the 520 H after the loader is completed. What do you folks think?:ROTF:

Great idea! But then it would be a compact wheel horse!! :handgestures-thumbupright::auto-biker:    Yea though i would love to see a backhoe on your 520-H.

Edited by muz123
  • Like 1