HorseHead1089

Project 320-8...A vision...

HorseHead1089

Well one of the days in the near future I am going to stay after school in the shop, where i have access to a big old manual Bridgeport Mill, 3 metal working lathes, and various tools, MIG, TIG, and ARC welders, and various band saws, grinders, ect...  

That will allow me to determine the course of the project, whether the mag 20 will bolt in, or the 10hp k series will return home. Ive thought about the possibility of reselling it at some point, and it seems smarter to make it most capable. So that said, I really would like a functioning pto. and if you are not familiar of the issue, here are the specs...

Engine Pto Diameter: k241-1in./M20 1&3/8in.

PTO Cone inner diameter: 1.5in.

So...the sleeve that acts as a buffer between the needle bearing and the engine pto shaft needs to be about half the thickness to fit on the M20. So this is the point were i have to get the M20 to work, and then see if the pto will fit.

3rd page YAY!!!

Edited by HorseHead1089

HorseHead1089

Today was my birthday and it was going all right until I learned a very, very, very stupid mistake. For some reason the crank measured out to 1 3/8 inches at home, and 1.5 inches at school in the shop. Well, this is fun. the bolt is still firmly rooted, Kroil and hammer tapping will carry on over the next month or so as  slowly assemble the tractor. tomorrow and this weekend i will be getting some more hardware to finish off the assembly of the major components and panels. On the bright side, i got my painted parts back and they look fabulous.

But now here is the problem 1.5 shaft is to big to run the pto, so if the Mag20 will run should i put her on anyways and try to find an electric pto clutch? if some one could find one thad be cool, id really love to run a snow blower.

Now does anyone know where to get new headlights? also i would like to put on tail lights, anyone have an idea of what to get? also, any words of wisdom for mounting some 12v work lights? im thinking of making a bracket off where the seat mount in the back, so the will hover over the fenders so i don't have to drill them. 

Aldon

It all depends on how much you want to spend and work at it. You can either tear the engine down and get crank turned, or replaced. There was a crank on Fleabay a while back that looked like it would work.

If it was a hydro rear you could just use a gear or pulley.

Try and find or make a shaft reducer. You would likley have to further offset the engine to the left so pulleys and PTO would align.

Most expensive option is to call warner and order Electric PTO with the set up you want. They do make PTO's in 1 7/16. They may have 1.5 as well or you could try and remove some material. Drop by a tracor supply and repair place like Emerichs. I believe the Gravelys used a large ID PTO. Might get lucky.....

PTO.JPG.23360ce92c780075243d6cbdf2aef6b9

HorseHead1089

Well I have an idea, the only attachment I would run would probably be a plow and maybe a snowblower, so if I were to get a double goove pulley or two diffent pulleys, I could run a snowblower if I created my own tensioning system with some belt guides and such... I have an idea, I suppose I will break out the graph paper after school today.

Edited by HorseHead1089

Aldon

So weather is starting to heat up. Any updates?

HorseHead1089

Well I can't seem to find a place to knock down the diameter of that pto shaft on that Magnum 20, and if I do its gonna cost a lot of money. And with so many toys I can't justify  that. So I'm planning on re-assembling and freshening it up before I sell it. So on the local craigslist I saw a C-125 blackhood  that looks like it's lived a rougher life than some and decided to scavenge for parts. It has a k301 that appears to be running healthy and could use a freshen up and maintenance, and nice pair of ags tires and all the motor mount and pto stuff. 

20160612_200949.jpg

20160612_201023.jpg20160612_201032.jpg

So this motor has a shaker plate and my old k241 didn’t. Obviously the oil pans are different because the k241 had flanges to solid mount it to the frame. Should I get a new pan and solid mount? Install the shaker plate setup?

Also the c 125 might be repowered with a spare motor and sold or parted out depending on the condition of the transmission....

20160612_201106.jpg

Also I don't like the angle of that pepper shaker, any tips on exaust?

Edited by HorseHead1089

HorseHead1089

removed the motor and cleaned it up, more pictures will come...anyway to change the title? seems very misleading now :(

Aldon

If the project has changed, either edit the title or start a new thread.

HorseHead1089

got the motor painted up, about to do the shrouds and order up some decals, looks like Terry (i believe thats his name) has some pretty awesome decals i will be ordering up that will go nicely with the black engine and pto accessories. And if a mod or someone could change the title to something like "310-8 to 320-8 to 312-8" or "310-8 to 312-8" that would be cool because i don't think it will let me change it due to time...

HorseHead1089

pictures will come soon enough, hoping to get the motor dropped in tonight or tomorrow. ill probably do a photo dump once that step is complete. 

Even though that this will end up kinda the opposite of the original plan, in the end I will have pretty awesome horse. 

19richie66

I have a M20 in my two seater project and the crank on it is 1-7/16". I wanted to have a PTO on it also but like you say the crank is too big. Now the 420LSE's if I am correct had a Kohler 20hp in it. I wonder what size crank it was? I am running no attachments so it doesn't affect me, as I converted to serpentine belt anyways. Great project, keep at it.

82Caddy

Many John Deere tractors are 1 7/16 cranks. It's what I'm running on my predator swapped d series to get the double pulley.  

Thor27

How's it coming?

wrightorchid

Is there a PTO from maybe another company that would work with the larger shaft?  Is it possible to bore out the PTO to match, or maybe not enough metal?

HorseHead1089

I ended up flipping the M20 for some cash to help make my tractor a bit more functional as far as attachments/pto setup, it is nearly done, i just have to route the exaust out from under the hood, and get a seat on it, i pcked up a 42 inch deck for 150 bucks that had been fully restored 15 years ago maybe? pictures will come i have been SUPER busy

HorseHead1089

Photo dump, almost done. Runs good and drives good. Although this isn't what it was supposed to be originally, I have bought another horse 40+ years of service! That's Mainly why I like to do these restores!20161114_211437.jpg20160711_115855.jpg20161114_211446.jpg20161016_115142.jpg20161016_115148.jpg

• Like 3

Aldon

Good to see it coming together. Projects of this magnitude always end up morphing along the way.

HorseHead1089

Yeah it sure has taken a while, i might end up selling it to a friend and start planning my next wheelhorse project

Thor27

Really looks good!

HorseHead1089

Thanks! I cant wait to get started on my next project! Hopfully it turns out as nice as this.