Brad GREENWALD

sand blasting

Brad GREENWALD

was going to send my wheel horse out for sand blasting but the guy said it would warp the tins is their another way to clean it 

Shynon

Yes sand blasting can warp tins if not done properly, if your sandblast guy told you that I would look for someone that knows what they are doing.

• Like 1

Brad GREENWALD

he said to soda blast or walnut  

pacer

Yes, commercial blasting is done at very high pressures and can easily deform thinner metals - but, would think most any commercial blaster would have the ability to do the other types like you mentioned.

I blast clean my pieces but I do it at about 90-100psi and that doesnt do any harm, a bit slower but still beats sanding.

Spareparts

That is because they use big guns and a lot more pressure, I got a 100lb. pressure pot and use 70-80 psi and don't have a problem and have used
the suction type and if the sad is dry and sifted with a large tea strainer they do a slow but effective job.

Brad GREENWALD

I might just buy a soda blaster  Eastwood blast out of a bucket gun do u think it will work

wheel horse men

I blasted two of them with black sand and a syphon type blaster and about 100psi never had any problems turned out great

pacer

Soda is gonna get expensive pretty fast... Most of us use a coal product sold at Tractor Supply, and others I suppose, called 'Black Diamond' and a 50lb bag is only $8.00.

Brad GREENWALD

Do I really need 7 cfm at 90 psi 

wheel horse men

I think that 90 to100 psi works the best any less doesn't do as good as job and you waste more sand

Save Old Iron

Do I really need 7 cfm at 90 psi 

psi is how hard the media hits the workpiece

cfm is essentially how MUCH media hits the workpiece

less cfm means a smaller gun nozzle and therefore more time to clean the workpiece

• Like 3

squonk

And more CFM with a too small compressor means a compressor that doesn't keep up and doesn't shut off. Lots of good info here:

http://www.tptools.com/

• Like 2

Brad GREENWALD

Thank for the good info guys

Aldon

Just note that  even Black Diamond at 8.00 a bag can add up if you are blasting with a can or outside and not capturing/recycling the media.

• Like 3

pacer

Just note that  even Black Diamond at 8.00 a bag can add up if you are blasting with a can or outside and not capturing/recycling the media.

Yes, I go through at least 6 bags, maybe more - I do the large pieces outside and cant recover it. Heh, I have a pretty large area around the corner of the shop that has this strange looking black stuff everywhere:lol:

• Like 2

Xearl

There is a sand blaster attachment for pressure washers that works really  well and uses play sand or other media. The water keeps the metal cool and helps with warping .Look  on line.   XEARL 

• Like 1

Aldon

I have the Wet Blasting attachment and it works well. Although you will have to occasionally unclog the nozzle. Just note that I would use a dust mask to insure non inhalation. While I would like to assume that spraying with the water would completely negate the possibility of inhaling silica, the negative consequences can be dramatic. Note, that when you wet sand blast, you have to deal with flash rust either by drying and priming immediately or treat with Rust cutter or something. This drops the cost 3-4 bucks a bag, and not black. 

Precautionary note: There are those who advocate play sand for air blasting to reduce costs, There are also those who warn against it for health reasons and I suggest you read up on the potential hazards and choose for yourself. 

• Like 1

TunaSlayet

Just wanted to add in, I have used the sand blaster attachment from northern tool, and it works well once you set up a sand feeder for the tube instead of the siphon. I use a pretty powerful pressure washer (4000 psi @ 4gpm) It is also some what ineffective on smaller parts when using a pressure washer because they just blow away.  The most success I have had was with my mower deck, and I am planning on trying it in my 2 stage blower for a first pass. As far as the flash rust, most of these tractor are so rusty, that it requires a lot of primer to smooth them out, but I am not a show guy, mine are all workers done with rattle cans. If anyone has a good contact for a sand blaster guy in the Massachusetts area, please let me know.

MikesRJ

I have one of these HF Sand Blasting cabinets and a rather large compressor to run it. I have "Black Diamond" 12-40 grit (course) in it and have never had any issues blasting anything all the way down to K90 tins.

Sandblast-Cabint.thumb.jpg.553ebab89205c

Edited by MikesRJ

Brad GREENWALD

I have to get a new compressor mine only runs at 5 cfm at 90  

MikesRJ

I would suggest any one that can produce 12-14 cfm @ 90 psi would do you just fine.

Shynon

I have one of these HF Sand Blasting cabinets and a rather large compressor to run it. I have "Black Diamond" 12-40 grit (course) in it and have never had any issues blasting anything all the way down to K90 tins.

Sandblast-Cabint.thumb.jpg.553ebab89205c

I am using the same thing, works great. The only thing that will not fit is a hood, frame and c series seat pan.

• Like 2

clip

If in a cabinet, consider upgrading the lighting and don't forget about dust removal/filtration. Makes a big difference. If blasting with soda, some paint suppliers have specific recommendations on how to neutralize soda before priming/painting. Follow their instructions, saves time and rework!

Aldon

I added a dust buddy cyclonic catcher. Use my shop vac. 50 bucks and works great for filtration and keeping the visibility higher in my HF cabinet. If you use the HF much, your wear out the gloves. I am not keen on reaching into the cabinet to swap the gloves so I reversed the glove collars to the outside and bought slightly longer gloves. Now I can easily swap when necessary. Pics on my GT14 restomod thread.

• Like 1

WHX??

I have a guy in town here that does headstones and he does my blasting for the price of a 12 pack. Trouble is he is hard to catch around so I am thinking about one of those HF ones. I hate to fork out alot on cash for one cause it's gonna be like the parts washer, sits ther most of the time but is there when you need it.  Thinking about a smaller benchtop version just for smaller stuff and leave the hoods, rims, frames for my tombstone guy or do i just say the heck with it and pop for a bigger one?
Possibly could build my own in my sheet metal shop but by the time its done would be better to spring for a HF one? The little stuff like gloves, nozzles etc would add up....