callum12

chain and sprocket sizes

callum12

Hi all, 
I am now onto the belts of project agri-800 but I'm wondering if a chain from the 90 degree gearbox to tranny might be a good idea as the pulleys are going to be quite close and i might struggle to get a tensioner in there. the only problem is that he tranny is obviously imperial while the 90 gearbox is metric. it shouldn't be too hard to find metric and imperial sprockets that are similar sizes but the pitch will be different. could some one fire suggestions at me? or tell me if metric taper lock bushes fit imperial taper lock sprockets and visa versa? 
also as for chain size i want something heavy duty but since chain sizes are done in a code its hard to get an idea of what it looks like, could some one suggest a chain size that will be and look heavy duty since i have never dealt with chains? 
and just to check, the drive pulleys on wheel horses are A section aren't they?
thank you very much,
callum 

Sprocket

I'm about 6'-0" tall but don't use me for your efforts.

WRT chains instead of belts, understand that chains and sprockets wear resulting in slack:
chains do stretch and the teeth of a sprocket wear causing slack in the system.  It s take a lot longer than belt wear so your sons or grand sons may need to understand your specific changes.

I think it's an excellent idea but do document the specifics - not for you but the sons and grandsons.  "Oh here, this book goes with this tractor" type stuff.

meadowfield

I've done a mix of both, no issues.

Just use taper lock bushes - i.e a 1610 20mm bush on the gear box with a 1610 sprocket 08B will mate with a 1610 08B sprocket on a 1610 5/8" bush on the transmission.

thats what this pic shows

IMG_20141012_171540_zpsz8cfuyuy.jpg

just be wary of speed of the chain, in 3rd gear your chain will be doing close to 3000rpm. That's not good for a transmission chain.....

gwest_ca

I think my 1968 450cc motorcycle uses a #50 drive chain to the rear wheel.

Garry

callum12

I've done a mix of both, no issues.

Just use taper lock bushes - i.e a 1610 20mm bush on the gear box with a 1610 sprocket 08B will mate with a 1610 08B sprocket on a 1610 5/8" bush on the transmission.

thats what this pic shows

IMG_20141012_171540_zpsz8cfuyuy.jpg

just be wary of speed of the chain, in 3rd gear your chain will be doing close to 3000rpm. That's not good for a transmission chain.....

thank you very much, the chain is for between the 90 degree gearbox and tranny so the speed is dependant on engine rpm rather than gear like yours. to get the correct input speed to the tranny I've got a 2:1 ratio so the say the max rpm of the engine is close to 3000rpm the max speed if the chain is only about 1500rpm. 
as for chain size I've been looking at British standard 12b, do you think thats a tad big? 
don't worry I'm going to make a  Agri-800 owners manual at some point!
thanks again,
Callum

meadowfield

I'm on 1/2 pitch 08B and it's more than up to the job. My chain runs at 12:1 from the wheels so it much lower speed than yours. That means the torque is much higher, I'd imagine at engine revs you could probably use lower than 08B, but then you need to guide and tension it correctly.

I'd personally look at 06B, but perhaps plump for 08B. Look at my videos, both bendy and C4 use 08B and could pull a house down :D

Don1977

I would use 1/2" pitch chain with as large sprockets as your area will allow. We have 1/2" pitch 40 chain that is wider then 41. Don't know how that compares with 08B..
You could get by with 3/8" pitch but it's going to ware the sprockets out quicker. I would only use it if you don't have enough area to run 1/2" pitch.

callum12

thanks for your help everyone, the centres are fairly close together which is why i wanted to avoid v-belts as i wouldn't have been able to get a tensioner in there very easily. 
so I've gone with 1/2" 08B chain and 21 tooth sprockets, using an online tooth to diameter calculator the sprockets will be 3.1" dia which is just right i think. 
as for lubrication what do you use,  just chain lube every now and then?
thanks again,
callum 

meadowfield

I've not oiled mine, they are greased from new and they haven't been dirty or wet yet....

callum12

all installed now, just got to find out what chain tension is best, just updating Agri-800 check there for more details and finally a new video! 
i reckon i'll make up a guard as well at some point. 
callum