Sign in to follow this  
rracioppi

Need some help

rracioppi

So I am almost done putting everything back together I decided today I would give the engine a try even though I have no hooked up everything, I put a jump box on the positive and grounded the negative to the frame, the engine turns over strong and I see gas in the filter problem is no spark, I pulled the plug and nothing? Not really sure where to start could it be not having a good ground?

Edited by rracioppi

boomers_influence
rr
you COULD state what engine.
thank you boomer

rracioppi

K301  on a wheel horse c121, nothing is really grounded yet no battery installed just hooked up the jumper to the positive and the frame it turns over strong but no spark?

oldredrider

Hook a jumper wire from positive battery post to + side of coil and see if that gives you fire.

rracioppi

Just hooked a jumper to positive battery to Positive coil and no spark

oldredrider

Try cleaning and resetting you points gap.

• Like 1

rracioppi

just made sure they were .020 I never touched them and it ran when I got it. so that is not it.

oldredrider

Points will become oxidized. ..the nature of bare metal. CLEAN them with a points file or fine sandpaper. 

• Like 1

rracioppi

Thanks Paul I will I guess you are leaning towards the points,

WNYPCRepair

To clarify, everything is connected as normal on the tractor, and you are connecting jumper cables to the positive battery cable and ground at the frame? Or do you mean you are connecting the positive jumper cable to the starter?

boovuc

The C-121 has a battery ignition. Before you start jumping through hoops, hook the battery up and all the other connections including safety switches if you didn't do so already. Make sure the connectors are clean and not corroded. And your battery needs to be fully charged to make sure that isn't the issue.

• Like 3

rracioppi

Thanks for the replies I will add some more information since I slept on this I think I have an idea of what it is but not how to fix it. I have the wiring harness in the tractor but not one of the safety switches are connected to anything in fact none of them were even in working order when I took it apart most were corroded beyond saving, now I am only using this tractor for plowing Ii have no deck so not really interested in having all the interlocks working would rather bypass all of them? I think the one stopping me from getting spark is the seat interlock? I am thinking I need to complete the circuit any help you guys can give is appreciated.

rracioppi

I know have power to the coil with the safety switch for the seat pressed but still no spark, are there
others I need to bypass?

pfrederi

If you have 12 volts at the coil and no spark time to clean the points and if that doesn't work replace the condenser

rracioppi

Thank you I am doing that exact thing, how can I tell how many volts at the coil? I have an ampmeter but no idea how to use it except to see if there is power?

pfrederi

Are you talking about the ammeter on the tractor or do you have a separate one?  How do you know you have power at the coil.

rracioppi

I have a small meter hand held but no idea what to set it on? Also are there any other interlock switches that would prevent a spark or are they for the starter? The starter engages fine 

I am holding the saftey swich closed and putting the positive on the coil positive and grounding the negative wand

pfrederi

Doesn't your meter have a DC voltage setting?  Anyway the safety switches block or allow current to the coil and some block or allow current to the starter solenoid.  If she cranks and IF you have voltage to the coil but no spark the issue is not safety switches.

rracioppi

OK thank you I am getting new points and new condensor next

pacer

By hooking 12v directly to the + on the coil (and grounding) you eliminate ALL safety switches, lights. ignition switch, etc. If you dont get spark then it can only be - coil, condenser, points, spark plug/wire or the wire from coil to points (I had this one happen) How are you checking for spark? My method is, with it hooked up direct and the cover off the points I use my finger and manually open/close points and see if it get spark there at the points, if so then points, condenser and coil are good. (If checking spark at plug make sure the plug is grounded)

rracioppi

OK new points and condensor in and it sparks and started up great then the starter started sparking and now it wont work at all, UGH did I burn the starter out??

pfrederi

Sparking from where?? Motor (Which end) or the solenoid.??  Does the pinion gear disengage from the flywheel after it starts?

rracioppi

OK, I think the cowling was rubbing so I put another screw in it and now this thing starts up great, dont know why it would not go but may be a ground the stator is sparking so I have to mount everything next

pfrederi

The stator is under teh flywheel is it sparking????

rracioppi

so I meant the piece that is in front of the battery mounted and has a 3 prong attachment I think it charges the battery, it is not sparking it is grounding on the tractor and creating a spark because it is not bolted down thats all,