dnvncrd

Trans lost all but 2nd gear

dnvncrd

While mowing yesterday in 2nd gear, I tried to put the tractor in reverse. The shifter would not easily move into the R position. I was able to get it in with a little play, no force, but the transmission would not engage. Same thing with 1st & 3rd. 2nd still works perfectly however. There was no noise, jerks or anything else unusual and I've never had any prior indication of transmission problems. Tractor is a 416-8.

In all gears but 2nd (High & Low) I can push the tractor freely. I jacked it up and spun the wheels and the wheels turn in opposite directions.

Thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance,

Edited by dnvncrd

dnvncrd

Excellent! The forks move into alignment as they should, wheels engage and all appears normal with the trans. When I got in there I was able to just lift the shift lever out. It looks like the set screw sheared. Even better news... the sheared end was somehow caught in the gasket and did not drop into the trans. What are the chances? From the pictures in the thread you referenced, my set screw is only a fraction of the length on the threaded side, with no nut to hold it in place. Thanks much for your help and advice.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Take a good look at the donut on the shifter. It is likely sercured to the rod by a roll pin that can also shear and allow the donut to rotate on the shifter. With a dog-point set screw in the donut the shifter actually rotates in the donut and you lose much of the shifter action to rotation. Some of the shifters have the donut welded to the shifter rod.
#933168 roll pin for the shifter donut 5/32" x 13/16"
#1239 is the dog-point set screw

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

dnvncrd

Thanks, just realized that as well. On closer inspection of the sheared piece, it is a part of that roll pin and not the set screw. Either way, those are easy fixes and its all good news to me!

• Like 3