kwalshy

Do I have a blown 8 Speed Transmission?

kwalshy

The 8 speed transmission on my 314-8, M/N 73400, S/N 5900282  just went.  It sounded horrible as I mowing and going down a slight downgrade.  I heard a loud clanking sound, the sound of metal on metal, and at the same time the tractor jerked violently with sudden forward movement, like 1st gear was going in and out of engagement. 

I immediately stopped the tractor, placed it into neutral and disengaged the PTO.  Then no matter what gear, 1st or 2nd or Reverse,  the tractor would jerk violently with the clanking sound after I disengaged the clutch.  I pushed the tractor in Neutral back home.  Now without the tractor running,  the tractor free roles, like it is in Neutral for all gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd or R. When I try to place the tractor into gear with the engine running while releasing the clutch pedal the tractor will start to die.

Do I have a blown transmission?  

How do I determine if I have a 5086 - 4 pinion,  5073 - 10 pinion, or 5091 - 8 pinion?

Is this a fix that I could do myself or am I better of doing a swap for a used transmission?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bmsgaffer

You probably have already, but if not, check the belt drive. If you can push the tractor in all the gears (without any funny noises) then your differential is likely ok and you may just be spinning the whole transmission up to the input pulley.

If that is fine then there may be a stripped gear in the transmission. Assuming your transmission case is intact then it is most likely repairable. There are some very good walk through videos on this site on tearing down and rebuilding an 8 speed. You can find out what parts you need and post a wanted ad here for them.

On a 314 (unless the transmission has been replaced before) you will only have an 8 pinion or 4 pinion and your axle size should tell you (1" = 4 pinion, 1 1/8" = 8pinion).

Some more knowledgeable people will be along here shortly to correct me if I'm wrong!

• Like 1

kwalshy

Thanks for the feedback bmsgaffer.

Drive belt is good and transmission case is intact.  Dipstick level reads good and no gear oil is leaking. 

I jacked up the tractor and I can spin the wheels; while rotating one wheel the other will rotate the opposite direction.  I'm not sure if this is normal or not. 
Both wheels will spin forward when I push both of them at the same time.

I then lowered the tractor and tried to push it backwards, with the shifter in neutral.  The tractor wouldn't budge; it acted as if it was in 1st gear; I pushed it forward, no problem, then tried pushing it backwards & it rolled.

Looks like I'll be dropping this transmission, but until then I'll be using the push mower. 

bmsgaffer

The way the wheels are spinning is normal, that's the differential acting as it should. It does look like you will have to drop the transmission and tear into it.

Be sure to watch a few of the videos on here and they walk through it step by step and will make you feel confident going into it!

stevasaurus

There are some videos and some excellent threads concerning the 8 speed trans in the Reference/Transmission section on the main  page...this is one of the good ones...  :)  I had my #1533 ball bearing fall apart inside one of my trannys...it kind of sounds to me like you may have the same thing going on.  There are 12 of those 1/4" balls in one of those bearings and they just love to get trapped in the teeth of the gears.  I would not keep rolling yours around.  Drop it and open it up...you want the shallow side of the tranny down when you split it.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/17947-idiots-guide-to-8-spd-trans-rebuild/

• Like 3