Sign in to follow this  
doory100

Toro wheelhorse wont stay running

doory100

I installed a 4 post solenoid in place of the 3 post solenoid. I started the mower and pulled it out onto the front lawn. it was running then stoped. I started it again without pushing the brake peddle in and it ran then stopped. I got on and pushed in the peddle and started it. now when i take my foot off the brake it cuts out. When i hooked up the solenoid i wired the the 1st small post to the ground for the solenoid. whats going on? why wont it stay running? 16-44 HXL 1996

gwest_ca

Here are some wiring diagrams
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4673-tractor-1996-xl-series-demystification-wiring-492-3301pdf/
Each circuit has it's own diagram.

The ignition is self-powered and the ignition wire simply grounds the coil to shut the engine off. Do not allow and battery power into that ignition wire - the coil will expire in a cloud of smoke.

I don't think what you did with the solenoid is causing your present problem.

What was it doing that made you replace the solenoid?

Garry

rmaynard

Here is the wiring diagram for your 1996 16-44 HXL

16-44_Wiring.thumb.png.98a0f03ab0da87cdc

doory100

Here are some wiring diagrams
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4673-tractor-1996-xl-series-demystification-wiring-492-3301pdf/
Each circuit has it's own diagram.

The ignition is self-powered and the ignition wire simply grounds the coil to shut the engine off. Do not allow and battery power into that ignition wire - the coil will expire in a cloud of smoke.

I don't think what you did with the solenoid is causing your present problem.

What was it doing that made you replace the solenoid?

Garry

IIt runs fine but when I release the brake peddle it stops . the solenoid was replaced because the other one was broken. It ran fine before

IMG_20150627_110919.jpg

IMG_20150627_111332.jpg

Edited by doory100

gwest_ca

Most likely your seat switch is not closing for some reason. With operator in seat the seat switch should close and bypass the brake switch and the pto switch which through the ignition switch powers the isolation relay and keeps the ignition wire from being grounded.

Look at page 8 of the detailed wiring diagrams - Spark circuit with key in run position.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

doory100

yes it was the seat switch