whfan74

Joined the 420 club!

whfan74
image.thumb.jpg.a87900c73252b9c53df9bd60
image.thumb.jpg.0f88aa7cce287dce1030423eGave dad a call late this afternoon and asked him if he was up for a 4 hour road trip.  Next thing you know the trailer was hooked up and off we went.  Had a great time chatting after yet another Horse.  We haven't gone after many lately so this was a good time for both of us, especially since it was a bucket list tractor.

this one is far from perfect as it was used to mow the lawn and blow snow in the winter.  I know, hard to believe right?  She has some dings but with some TLC should turn out ok.  Some of the chrome will be redone in the future, while the rest isn't too shabby and should polish out ok.  It has 772 hours on the working meter and is #85 out of 200.  Some damage is a little disappointing, but the most important thing is that it exists.  This one has been owned by a few folks and the seller was unaware of what he had.   Edited by whfan74
  • Like 8

slammer302

it looks good i think it would be great to have a 420 that you can use lightly for fun

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Congrats guys...
looks awesome.
  :notworthy:
  • Like 1

muz123

Congrats on your find! Love those chrome rims!

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice score Scott! You'll really like that tractor. I have 290 hrs. on mine. It is nice having one that someone put some hours on, I don't feel guilty riding it around at the shows. The general public at the shows really seem to dig the 420.

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1

nylyon

Did ya let him know what he had AFTER handing the money?

• Like 2

stevebo

Sweet !! Take your time getting her back in shape. You said it best that it exists !!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Fantastic find! Congratulations.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Nice tractor.I would buy a 420 if one ever became available.Enjoy your road trips with your Dad.You'll always cherish the good times with him.I know I miss my Father like crazy.He's been gone 28 yrs and I think of him every day.

• Like 1

whfan74

Did ya let him know what he had AFTER handing the money?

It crossed my mind, but no I did not.  I hopped back in the truck quickly and snuck back across the state line before I was recognized for poaching another Horse.  :D

• Like 2

Tankman

Great find! Are you goin' to use the seat?

Looks comfy, original equipment (seat)?

You don't need chrome wheels, I do.  B)

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

buckrancher

CONGRATS welcome to the 420 club

Brian

• Like 1

whfan74

Great find! Are you goin' to use the seat?

Looks comfy, original equipment (seat)?

You don't need chrome wheels, I do.  B)

Yes that is the original seat to that machine.  Very nice and has three different settings in regards to the ride......firm, medium, and soft.

CasualObserver

Nice buy Scott, congrats.  What I find remarkable is that the seller didn't know what he had. I mean these were produced (and labeled!) as LSE models.... Limited Special Edition. You say it has been owned by several people. One would think that somewhere along that line, they would have looked up what it was to make sure they were getting a good deal when they bought it!  Whoever bought it in the first place definitely knew it was special for sure. ( :wh: certainly didn't give them away!)  If I were to venture a guess, I'd say it must have been sold after some tragedy for the original owner,  and whoever did that auction or private sale just sold it as a mower. A kind of fancy, shiny one for sure, but still just a mower to most people.  It's the same thing in no matter what you collect... there are always "scores" in the hands of unsuspecting people, often still using some old desirable collectible for it's original purpose!

• Like 1

whfan74

I agree Jason, hard to believe in this age of technology that someone along the line didn't take the time to do a simple search.  Even with the dash plaque on the hood still with the original owners name engraved should have given a clue that it was something special.  At one point this tractor had a cab and from the literature I was given, a mid mount grader blade, neither of which the seller had at any time. 

Ken....I feel the same way.  It is nice to have one that someone else already broke in and I don't have the fear of damaging it.  It will be a joy to putt around on at shows and through some local parades.  Dad and I even talked about you on the way up to purchase it.  He mentioned........"what if the seat is messed up?"  I told him I wasn't too worried as I know a fella out East that could probably get me hooked up with some new leather!  :)

I was getting pretty down on the hobby here lately and this silly little tractor kind of reenergized me for a bit.  The thrill of the hunt and meeting people along the way can never be replaced.  Even though I won't be able to join you guys out in PA, dad told me last night I need to get her cleaned up so he can venture out that way and have fun with the guys.  Who knows, it may be cruising around the circle on Friday night......but that is a long shot.  As for me, I will be working at summer school until the 30th.  So the rest of you folks have a great time........wish I could be there with my new toy!!!!

PaulC

Wow Scott great machine you scored there, its my favorite model for sure. And im sure you want thing to be perfect as would I but it sure does look darn good in the photos you posted.

I find it shocking as well that it changed hands multiple times and the person you bought it from just thought that had some sort of tricked out lawn mower but at the same time it doesn't surprise me. A lot of people give the funny look :confusion-scratchheadyellow: when they find out we're into tractors. We had a memorial day get together and I had multiple friends come up to me and ask with a somewhat puzzled approach " why do you have 4 of the same tractors in your garage"? some even called them "lawn mowers"....the nerve of some people :laughing-rofl:  Most people just want a machine whatever shape and size that will mow their lawn or clear their driveway but not us!

• Like 1

Wheelie again

Whfan 74 did that tractor come from battle creek Mi.