Steve W

PTO shaft broke on 310-8

Steve W

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum although I have been reading alot of the posts after I purchased a 1987 310-8 about a month ago.  I put on a new toro pto belt, and the clevis pin on the pto and mowed the lawn last week without any issues. Although it was noisy when the pto was engaged for the mower deck. Today I started mowing and the noise seemed to get a little louder and then the pto stopped. I immediately disengaged the pto and found what looks like a broken pto shaft. Any ideas on why this happened and how many more parts I will need to purchase now. Thanks for any input you can give me.

20150528_155655_resized_2.jpg

rmaynard
:WRS:

Looks like you will need a few new parts. The bearing probably seized and caused the damage. Here is what you will need:

PTO.thumb.png.aa490071710f14f193dc273850

# 33, 34, 35, 35

#33 - 102872 Shaft
#34 - 32120-72 Snap ring (2)
#35 - 32120-62 Seal
#36 - 109842 Bearing

Take the pulley/housing off, pry out the seal, punch the old bearing out from behind, install new bearing, put snap ring on rear end of new pto shaft, insert it from behind, install front snap ring, install new seal.

Put it all back together and get back to mowing.

• Like 4

daveoman1966

I can send you a complete replacement PTO 'bell' to include # 33 thru 38 of that schematic.  for pic and other details, send a direct email to me at this address:
daveoman@windstream.net         clik that link)  and ask about PTO BELL.... 

Steve W

Thanks guys for the replies. I ordered the parts last night so hopefully they won't take long to get here. Maybe that bearing was causing the noise I was hearing since I bought it. Dave I had ordered the parts already before I saw your post, but thanks. Will the PTO bell just slide off or is there a trick to getting it off? 

rmaynard

As long as it spins freely, it should slide right off after you remove the brake pad assembly. 

Steve W

Ok guys my problem went from bad to worse this morning. After I pulled the PTO bell off I looked at the bearing and I could see it was really shredded and jammed in there. As I pressed the mangled bearing out of the PTO bell the bearing finally broke free but as it did it busted a big chunk of the PTO bell out as well. Some of the bearing is still stuck in the pto bell, but I won't bother with removing it because I will need a new PTO bell and inside bearing anyway. I thought that a boat was a big money pit, but I'm finding this to hold true with my wheelhorse project now as well. Dave I sent you an email too.

Pollack Pete

Ok guys my problem went from bad to worse this morning. After I pulled the PTO bell off I looked at the bearing and I could see it was really shredded and jammed in there. As I pressed the mangled bearing out of the PTO bell the bearing finally broke free but as it did it busted a big chunk of the PTO bell out as well. Some of the bearing is still stuck in the pto bell, but I won't bother with removing it because I will need a new PTO bell and inside bearing anyway. I thought that a boat was a big money pit, but I'm finding this to hold true with my wheelhorse project now as well. Dave I sent you an email too.

​Unlike a boat,there's lots of used parts available for Wheel Horse Tractors.Your break down is just a small stumble.It could be MUCH worse.

• Like 2

JC 1965

I agree with Pete. Your tractor is 28 years old, got to expect some repairs for broken or worn parts from time to time. Don't forget to put heavy duty grease on your bearings when you install them.

• Like 2

Steve W

You guys are right. I will just have to get used to having some minor setbacks with the machine due to its age. I really like the tractor and hope to keep it around for a long time. Thanks for the advice, and I will definitely grease up the bearings. Hopefully the new parts will take care of the noise I was hearing before the bearing came apart also.

Forest Road

Not a big deal. I typically grease the bearing anytime I change the belt. Usually going from mower to
snowblower. So a minimum of twice a year. 

You our just need a light film. Too much and it'll run out onto the clutch disc and create new problems.

make sure you grease everything else
on the tractor a few times a year. Grease is cheap. Repairs stink.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It
Yes, just what Forrest Road said. Everytime I buy a Wheel Horse one of the first things I do is grease the PTO bearing #38 and let a little bit of MMO trickle into bearing #36. I'm amazed at how dry most of these bearings are without seizing!

Steve W

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll make sure to put a little grease on the used one I'm getting from Dave. Hopefully be back to mowing soon.

peter lena

steve w , not just any grease steve, use a high temp  h/d grease , the high temp rating will let the grease live in the hot temps ,and prevent the drying and bearing galling / failure that happens , those needle bearings  will cook and bind up regular grease , a 550 temp drop point rating would be good , lucas red and tacky grease , works well in there , pete

pfrederi
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

steve w , not just any grease steve, use a high temp  h/d grease , the high temp rating will let the grease live in the hot temps ,and prevent the drying and bearing galling / failure that happens , those needle bearings  will cook and bind up regular grease , a 550 temp drop point rating would be good , lucas red and tacky grease , works well in there , pete

This was a 5 year old post.   Edit:  Incidentally i have been using GAA on all my horses haven't had any PTO failures yet....

Edited by pfrederi

AHS
On 6/1/2015 at 3:17 PM, Steve W said:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll make sure to put a little grease on the used one I'm getting from Dave. Hopefully be back to mowing soon.

@Steve W eBay for the new bell?

tunahead72

To paraphrase one of my favorite philosophers...  Steve's not here, man.  But ironically, Dave is. B)

TDF5G

A well maintained Wheel Horse will last a lifetime. :)

• Like 1