RevyAjax

Solenoid C-100

RevyAjax

I pulled our old 1975 C-100 out this past weekend and it would not start.  No click at the solenoid and I directly put a jump from the + on the battery to the starter and nothing.  Since this is all original I have decided to simply replace Starter and Solenoid.  There appear to be numerous alternatives for the starter, but I can't find even a parts number for the solenoid let alone a replacement.  Can someone help me out here.  I have the Kohler K241S parts manual and they do not even list the Solenoid.  Appreciate any help.

Regards

c

gwest_ca

Wheel Horse supplied the solenoid.

Here is a parts list

#8658 solenoid description is on page 15

Illustration is on page 16

Just a common 3-wire solenoid that was also used on Ford auto's.

Make sure you are getting power to the small solenoid terminal with the key in the START position. If not a new solenoid won't fix it.

8-speed wiring diagram in the operator manual

4-speed wiring diagram in this ipl

Let us know what you find out.

Garry

RevyAjax

Garry thanks for the help and the manual especially.  I did not have this and it is more comprehensive than what I have.

Regards

c

RevyAjax

Garry

You say power to the small terminal on the Solenoid is necessary.  This is the small terminal on the front? And I believe this runs to the safety switches? Clutch and PTO? Correct.  No power there would indicate that there is a disruption on this line?

Thanks for the help.

Regards

c

Wheel Horse supplied the solenoid.

Here is a parts list

#8658 solenoid description is on page 15

Illustration is on page 16

Just a common 3-wire solenoid that was also used on Ford auto's.

Make sure you are getting power to the small solenoid terminal with the key in the START position. If not a new solenoid won't fix it.

8-speed wiring diagram in the operator manual

4-speed wiring diagram in this ipl

Let us know what you find out.

Garry

Garry

You say power to the small terminal on the Solenoid is necessary.  This is the small terminal on the front? And I believe this runs to the safety switches? Clutch and PTO? Correct.  No power there would indicate that there is a disruption on this line?

Thanks for the help.

Regards

c

rmaynard

You said that a direct jump from the battery to the starter did nothing. That indicates to me one of several possibilities.

1. Dead battery

2. Bad ground.

3. Defective battery cable.

The battery grounds directly to the engine and frame. The starter grounds to the engine by direct contact to the engine. If the engine and starter are properly connected to the (-) side of the battery, a direct jump from the (+) side of the battery should turn over the starter.

You can test your solenoid by:

1. Making sure it is grounded to the engine through it's case.

2. Take a small wire and connect it to the (+) side of the battery and touch it to the small terminal on the front of the solenoid. It should click.

My guess is that you have bad grounding and/or bad cables.

Just my 2 cents worth.

RevyAjax

All

Thanks for your help.  This Weekend got the C-100 running.  Replaced the starter and the battery had a very slow drain and insufficient Voltage to crank........runs like a champ.  Now the next problem my 516H.  I will post a new thread for that one. 
Regards
c