fireman

I said I was done but I really wanted another RJ58!

muz123

Nice

AMC RULES

Nice one Jeff...  :scratchead:

what's it's serial #? 

fireman

Had my nephew over doing some of my "honey do list" by painting one of my kids rooms. Once he got started, I took advantage of the free time and worked on the RJ for a few hours. The spindles were both frozen in the axle and would not turn. Bottom line, I ended up pulling the entire axle and steering apart. Good thing is now all the parts are cleaned up and moved freely. I was also able to get the roll pin out of the steering wheel and got that pressed off of the steering shaft. At least it steers now so I can actually move it around. I'm 99 percent sure the serial # is 1516 so it's fairly early.

• Like 2

fireman

I dropped my "In Stock" completely rebuilt K90/91 into the frame to see how it looks. What a difference it makes having the engine sitting in there.

post-1626-0-69779000-1430789773_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Hubbard414

Looking good!! But you should always keep your promise, especially ones you make to yourself. I'm free this weekend so I'll come and take that RJ off your hands.

stevebo

well he is in a selling mood... he is on his way back from selling one of those green ones he had....

wallfish

Saw that RJ at Zagray, Good to have you back at the WH stuff again!

• Like 2

fireman

I was going through my spare parts and remembered that I had these. Got them when Steve and I bought out a local John Deere dealer who used to sell Wheel Horse. Just what I needed, 2 NOS 3461 Clevis Pin, Steering for the RJ.

post-1626-0-14616500-1430877592_thumb.jp

Coadster32

Back in the saddle again...and not missing a beat. Good work always done by you. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ken B

Glad you got that Jeff, now git er done!

grnlark

Jeff, sounds like you're happy with the transaction :)  Looking forward to watching the progress

Edited by grnlark

fireman

Glad you got that Jeff, now git er done!

I don't know how fast it'll get done. Got a lot going on from now till the end of summer. I'm gonna keep plugging away at it a little at a time. I think my goal is just to get it running and driving which shouldn't take too long. Once the fall hits I'll start to tear it down for the restoration.

Jeff, sounds like you're happy with the transaction :)  Looking forward to watching the progress

Ya Matt I'm happy with it. It's actually a nice straight tractor. The hood is perfect with the exceptions of the two cracks. Those I will weld up and metal finish smooth. The steering wheel is super clean. Just need to find a belt guard and heat shield. Pretty sure I've got the brake band and clutch/brake rods located.

stevasaurus

Welcome back Mate.  :)

fireman

Welcome back Mate.  :)

Arrrggghhh Matey! It's good to be back!

• Like 1

fireman

So I was digging through my spare parts getting together some part numbers for Mels RJ that he has to order to finish rebuilding his transmission. Low and behold I came across a brake band and the long brake/clutch rod that I needed. The long brake/clutch rod looks to had been cut or broken and re-welded at some point. They did a terrible job of fixing it so I'll re-cut it and re-weld it again. Now I just need the brake spring and of course the sacred belt guard and heat shield and that will be it for the missing parts.

post-1626-0-01013400-1431201255_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-56526800-1431201264_thumb.jp

wallfish

Hmmmm, I wonder what else could be hanging around in those old spare parts.

Think I need to get down there and do some picking before you find ALL the good stuff.

fireman

Not much left John. I still have that leather shifter boot you gave me at the very first meet & greet at my house and that will be going on this tractor. I gave away a good portion of what I had left at the last few meet & greets. 

I did however find a spring for the brake/clutch.

AND thanks to a member here I was able to strike a deal to buy an original belt guard and a re-production exhaust heat shield!

That does it. I now have located all the parts I need to put this thing back the way it's supposed to be. Now just to find the time!

post-1626-0-09473900-1431225319_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-30960000-1431225328_thumb.jp

• Like 1

fireman

Well I thought I had a gas tank. Turns out it's the smaller version that used to come mounted on the Kohler engines. I remembered I had been watching a guy on Ebay that had NOS tanks that were the correct size but the outlet is at the wrong end and the fill opening is about 2" off. I figured it was my best option so I bought one. It fits in there under the hood just fine. Just have to have a little longer fuel line. It's perfect inside and out. No corrosion whatsoever. 

post-1626-0-93748600-1431544614_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-07872700-1431544624_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-19985700-1431544634_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-29583600-1431544643_thumb.jp

Edited by fireman
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

You're not going to run with just one tank strap, are you Jeff?     :eusa-think: 

fireman

No. I just put it in there for fit. I still have to weld in the second strap. Even then I only put about an inch or two of gas in it to keep the weight down.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Can we see a detail shot of John's leather shift boot too? 

fireman

Went over to Steve house today and met up with Steve and VinsRJ. I bought the last two missing parts from Vin. I got an original belt guard and a reproduction heat shield. The belt guard has a few pin holes in it but will be no problem to fix up. Otherwise it's in super nice condition. Come to find out the long brake rod I found in my spare parts was incorrect. It just so happened that Steve had one from a parts RJ he had bought last year at Zagray. 

DSCN0787.thumb.JPG.84313e0829693618bbf7c

DSCN0788.thumb.JPG.0ca076116706971cfc53c

fireman

Craig, here is the shift boot that John made.

DSCN0789.thumb.JPG.4c44b1f45b36b2b518960

DSCN0790.thumb.JPG.54faad07c964538efde8f

• Like 2

AMC RULES
Yep, looks kinda familiar Jeff...  :handgestures-thumbupright:
I think I've got the tounge of his other boot here. 

IMG_3218.JPG

Edited by AMC RULES