Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Wheel Horse Leaf Vac

Teddy da Bear

I think I recall seeing a wheel horse leaf vac setup. Didn't wheel horse use a frame that hung off the back of the tractor thus running it from a belt from the tractor PTO??

If so.....what was the minimum horse power requirement??? I would think you need a certain amount of horse power to run the mower deck and some left over to provide enough suction for the vacuum.....

I am thinking of how to stop running mine with an independant engine and get the vac to run off of the tractor instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Teddy da Bear

Thanks Buzz...

I was right it did run off of tractor power. And it did hang on a frame on the rear end and not on the trailer.

I will see if I can fabricate something up sometime.

HorseFixer

The one I have for my 1054A Has its own 4hp Kohler and WH Dump Trailer With Cloth Canvas Enclosure. Its a drag along.

refracman

Mike

I have one like your talking about, 72 to 76 fit the C series and similar framed tractors. It mounts on the rear attachmatic and the belt runs up to the engine similar to a tiller. heres a link to a parts brackdown. No pics sorry

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...4-38940002-0002

Teddy da Bear

Thanks Refrac.... Only one thing left out of the equation. What is the minimum amount of horsepower recommended?

handyman

If you already have an engine powered vacuum, you might consider hanging the engine and vacuum on the tractor. I have the same PTO powered setup and just this year went searching for an engine unit. My complaints are that the WH vacuum unit itself is easy to mount. Just hand on the hitch and axle brackets but it is everything else (running belts, guards and etc). The other problem I had is that I would do the leaves weekly and in peak season, a week of leaves can get pretty deep in some spots. I would have to slow down to 1 or 2 low and just creep through. If you tried to go faster the heavy wet leaves would bog the deck down which would bog the engine down and then the vac. The airflow would slow down when you needed it the most. Also the WH vac doesn't have near the CFM of my Trac-Vac. I have seen it suck in leaves from outside the deck. If you do fabricate something, definately make the vacuum on the tractor. I also tried an Agri-Fab with the vacuum on the tongue. The hose has to be so long and the tongue is extended also which makes it harder to maneuver. Just my two cents from someone who has been there.

mcwh1950

Thanks Refrac.... Only one thing left out of the equation. What is the minimum amount of horsepower recommended?

i would say a 12 hp

Teddy da Bear

As I have stated before in perhaps another thread. This existing vac is way too heavy to even lift the tongue of the trailer off of the ground. And like mentioned by handyman.....you cannot make tight turns or your wheels start rubbing. And I have "crushed" the aircleaner housing as it is right behind the rear fender.

Sure I could alter this... But if I am going to alter it.... Might as well make it the way I want it. Not to say that the way I want it is the right solution.....lol

Berkhorse

Hi, yes, I had one that mounted onto the rear axle hooks and ran a super long belt. You also had to attach a idler pulley under the seat onto the frame. Total pain in the arse but was a very good grass and leaf sucker. My trailer has the aluminum frame but the canvas has rotted away so I used an old shower stall hackked to fit with a couple of windows and screens. :hide: The impeller housing got bent when I inhaled a rock one day so I had to fab a new setup stolen from agri-fab pic I once saw. I was able to use the original base to attach to my horse but mounted a BS 5.5 with a new impeller and housing. Works great!!