wheeledhorseman

Sundstrand hydro strainer question

wheeledhorseman

I'm in the process of swapping out the pump and motor on a D-200 for known good ones.

Removed the old motor today to discover that only the end flange of the strainer that sits in the transmission was actually there!

post-4509-0-59994500-1429997467_thumb.jp

There's never been any signs of shredded screen when I've changed the oil, no fragments came out of the tranny with the last half liter or so of oil that came out when the motor was removed, and nothing I can see or feel in the casing. My guess then is that a PO has been here before me, found the screen came away from the end flange and discarded it. 

I have another strainer that I can use but it's a different pattern.

post-4509-0-80929000-1429998435_thumb.jp

The strainer came from a C-121 transmission though may not have been original to that - I can't say. I did discover that there are two different part numbers for these that have been used on the Sundstrands though the parts diagrams don't show enough detail to distinguish between them.

There was no evidence of a rubber sealing ring with this one when I removed it but it makes me wonder if the recess machined into the tranny case was the same depth when this type was used.

post-4509-0-59114600-1429998794_thumb.jp

Can anyone with knowledge and experience help out here? I'm wondering if I should add a suitable O ring to make a good seal when using this one.

Andy

pfrederi

Andy: I have a strainer in the shop... I will look at it tomorrow

pfrederi

Andy:  This is one I tookout of a D Series Looks like the one in my current machine. Do you need measurements??  I do not recall any sort of special gasket/Oring.  I think the motor to transaxle gasket seals it.

post-1023-0-96508300-1430082720_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-23975700-1430082755_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-97264000-1430082783_thumb.jp

wheeledhorseman

Thanks for the pics Paul. Hmm... so there appear to be at least three different types of these then.

What you've said about the one you photographed sealing to the gasket also applies to the type I photographed which also has that raised profile round the oil output hole that makes this happen.

Difference though is that the one I have has the magnet mounted centrally at the outlet end. I assume it's at the other end on yours?

So as you say no rubber sealing washer needed with either of these types then

I have an example of a complete strainer with the rubber seal design, just didn't think to photograph it before putting it back in a transmission. There's no raised 'dome shape' to that type and the rubber seal is bonded to the outlet end though in the case of the one I didn't photograph it had become detached making me assume it was a separate item.

On another matter - did you see my response to your splined washer question / post?

Andy

pfrederi

The magnet is the u shaped thing on the inside end of the filter.  I wonder if Sundstrand or WH was responsible for procuring teh strainer...Maybe they changed vendors over the years.

Factory Dog

The strainer picture Paul provided is identical to the strainer we pulled out of my brother-in-law's 1974 D200 & also the one I recently pulled from my 18 Automatic.  I am assuming that both of these were original equipment, but cannot be certain of it.  Neither strainer had any seal with it, they were simply sealed by the hydro motor gasket.  The strainer in the 1974 had also been separated from its flange and was laying at the bottom of the transaxle case.  I did not realize that the piece on the end of the strainer was a magnet; thanks for the info!!!