stevebo

1998 520 LXI Worker Rehab - Survivor

stevebo

Tonight I was able to get the chassis, screens and front grill painted. Bought a new battery and battery cables too. Here are a few pics as it sits tonight. I also had some time after work to pressure wash one of the 520's that I picked up last fall.

post-734-0-66875100-1427850067_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-33985600-1427850083_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-84326600-1427850094_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-05032300-1427850169_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-16241600-1427850179_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

stevebo

Just spoke with Terry and the new decals will be printed tomorrow :)

• Like 1

stratostar250

Looks like it is cleaning up really well!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

jimt1971

Looks good Steve.

• Like 1

rustyoldjunk

Great find and grab Steve. Do these models use the Unidrive transaxle ?

stevebo

These models have a driveshaft back to the eaton 1100 tranny.

The coil and the igniter came in the mail today so I got them installed. The seat safety switch was already bypassed by PO so I thought I might be able to start it without putting the seat pan back on. I noticed that there was another connection that looks like it is for the cruise control so I put the pan back on, connected that and tried to fire it over. I also took off the foot control pedals which was necessary to pull the foot boards off. There are two, one is forward and reverse and the other one is an emergency stop. Well the emergency stop is also to get start. I found out after a little testing with the amp meter. When I turned the key there was no power going to the starter. I figured the brake needed to be pushed in and she turned over. After a few attempts to get it to fire I pulled the plugs and found that the right side had great spark and the left side had nothing (this side has the new coil on it), After poking around some more I found one of the wire connections to that coil came lose :banghead:  SO...... plugs back in and ................................ (hope the video works) ...

First start after new wiring.MOV

• Like 2

Ken B

I can't get it to play but I do see you are a hub cap kinda guy these days...

• Like 1

stevebo

The video shows it running!! I am not sure how to change that video to play. For some reason when I take videos on my phone when I email them myself so I can save it to my computer that is the format. If anyone can change the video and repost please feel free.

• Like 1

Lars

Runs nice Steve :) and ill bet it's going to look real nice after your done whit it... :)

fireman

See! I told you.

Maybe I should start a small business restoring and repairing garden tractors :ychain:  :ychain:  :ychain:

Now need to see it driving around!

• Like 2

stevebo

See! I told you.

Maybe I should start a small business restoring and repairing garden tractors :ychain:  :ychain:  :ychain:

Now need to see it driving around!

Jeff-

You were correct in your evaluation of the problem. I would rather you not open a small repair shop because then I would have to pay you for your services :ychain: .. As always, thank you for your help with getting this bad boy up and running again. :happy-partydance:

wh500special

Jim,

Yep, they have the proven cast iron unidrive. It's not exactly interchangeable with the older tractors though. The eaton pump is mounted on the front side of the case, but is turned 90 degrees so the driveshaft can crank it. They also have two speed ranges instead of just the one.

Looks great Steve. I'll bet it becomes a keeper.

Steve

stevebo

Here is a pic of the pump with the driveshaft.

post-734-0-82355200-1427970108_thumb.jpg

Ken B

Its kinda growin on me.. I myself love Kawasaki engines. 10 yrs. yrs. back I maintained the equipment at the Danbury mall, there was a Scag there that had its original 17 hp Kawiasaki engine with a GAZILLION hrs. on it and it ran FLAWLESS. If the 520 LXI has a 17 hp engine on it why do they call it a 520 and not a 517? Is a 48 inch deck the biggest you can run on it? I would think so. You know me, I ain't bustin balls, just wonderin. Once I saw that it has foot control hydro and cruise control I'm thinkin I might have to have one myself, because we all know pimpin ain't easy...

• Like 1

stevebo

Ken,

This tractor has a 20hp Kawaski liquid cooled motor. Some came with a plastic cam gear and others were upgraded to a metal gear. I am not sure what this has nor do I care at the moment. If it breaks then I will change it.....

This tractor has:

Power Steering

Cruise control

Smart turn set up which means when you are cruising on a straight away if you begin to turn the tractor will automatically slow down before you turn and then when you come out of the turn it will automatically speed back up

Foot control

and of course.... a "cup" holder :)

They same with a 44, 48, 52 or 60" deck.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

That is coming along nicely! When you start using it, you'll learn the "Push-and-Lean" stance for applying the brake. The ergonomics are very good on this tractor with the step-through platform and readily accepts my 5' 14" frame.  :handgestures-thumbupright: 

You might check the radiator level as it looks like the overflow bottle is empty. While you have it apart, think of changing the lower radiator hose. The clamp is way back there in there, at least on my diesel which is laid out the same, and hard to get to.

Looking forward to more updates!!!

shallowwatersailor

A word about Smart-Turn on the 5xi: Last weekend I took my '89 520-H for one last ride. Ran down the road with it and went to turn around. I forgot that it doesn't slow like the 5xi - and started to slip off the seat! Whoops! Given the elevated seating position and higher top speed of the 5xi, I'm sure that it was engineered to limit liability.

stevebo

I topped off the radiator and the overflow does have fluid in it. I thought the same thing. I plan on pulling it out later today and letting it run a while. I have new air/oil filters in the mail and two new spark plugs.

@Ken-

Stop up after work if you want today. I should be home by 3

shallowwatersailor

On my diesel, the manual says to have the rear wheels higher than the front to assist in "burping" the coolant. I just ran it up my car ramps. It might be the same for the Kawasaki.

Ken B

Man brain fart, don't know why I was thinkin 17 hp Kawasaki..  What, no cigar lighter? :scratchead:

JackC

The power steering on those is the cat's pajamas.  The liquid cooled Kawasaki should last a long time.  

Ken B

I got to check out and drive this bad boy today. I'm very impressed. This tractor was without a doubt designed right from the get go to carry a 60 inch deck under it. It is built like an absolute tank!  I'm a little partial to the look of the Classic 520 (though I don't mind the looks of the new style) If had lots of chores to do around the house or a ton of grass to cut I'd choose the LXI hands down over the old style 520 any day... i'll own an LXI some day..

stevebo

Ken-

Good time today for sure hanging out. It has been a long winter !!! We got to play on a few horses today :happy-partydance: See you in the AM to go see a man about a horse :hide:

fireman

What? No video of it driving around?