ibskot

Garden plowing disaster

ibskot

Well, maybe not a complete disaster, nobody got hurt and my son had fun. I quickly realized I have no clue what I am doing and I think it's too wet. Plus I think my tractor is too light. Anyway, here are some pictures. I tried to upload a video but I don't have permission for some reason. Any guidance is appreciated. Plus I clearly don't know how to properly rotate pictures.

post-12071-0-56905100-1427058700_thumb.j

post-12071-0-64876700-1427058777_thumb.j

post-12071-0-88688900-1427058848_thumb.j

post-12071-0-77462900-1427058917_thumb.j

post-12071-0-02775700-1427058971_thumb.j

Digger 66

'Ya gotta start somewhere .

Sparky

If your making a long single row garden you nailed it!!

:ychain:

Just kidding....I've never owned or operated a plow like that, but the guys on this site will get ya straightened out!

Mike..........

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

this might help a bit

http://myoldmachine.com/topic/1616-ploughing-and-ploughs-2015/

also once you've made one furrow, go back taking half plow width, then plow the things you just plowed out back in full plow width, then start going round

also make sure you've got the plow nice and shiny where it meets the ground, a rusty or painted plow shear is a bear to drag through the ground

hope that's clear enough

Edited by C-101plowerpower

squonk

There's a lot of trial and error and sod is hard to plow anyway. Plus it does look a bit wet by what's sticking to your tires. I would just plow what you were planning on and just tinker with it. Your not entering a contest. After that ground is plowed up I would till it up and you'll be fine. Plow it again in the fall and I bet it will  go much easier. Here is a short video of my first time plowing. My wife's garden is small which made it more difficult.

AMC RULES

Easiest to upload your video into your free Youtube channel...  :thumbs: 

once finished there, just cut and paste the link(URL) into your post here. 

Edited by AMC RULES

KC9KAS

ibskot, you need to weight the tires/rear of the tractor if you haven't done so.

I have turf tires with tire chains and fluid in the tires. I have plowed with a 10" plow using a B-80 and it worked very well.

The ground may be a little to wet, but I think your biggest issue is with weight (actually, lack of...)

Edited by KC9KAS

slammer302

I use a commando 8 for plowing most of the time i use weights front and rear and it is still hard to plow up a garden if hasn't ever been plowed in the past years but if its been plowed before its no problem so what im saying it should nice and easy next year.  :)

clip

Remember to keep making passes in the same direction. If you plowed south to north your first pass with the dirt rolling to the east, keep making passes from south to north moving east to west, so your right tires are always in the furrow. For every trip up and back, you'll only be plowing once. If you do want to plow both coming and going, start on the outsides and work in, but it will leave a dead furrow in the center.

Edited by clip

farmer

looks to me like a good first attempt, pointers I would offer would be,

Plough only when ground conditions are right ( to wet, or hard and dry will damage the soil and frustrate the £#@k out of you.) :teasing-tease:

You have narrow agri weighted rears, ideal.

Maybe you could reduce the furrow width by mounting the plough in the left hand hole of the three?

And (I know its a pain) clear out the furrow if the slice has rolled back, every time the right wheels climb over a lump the plough is pitched... and the same thing happens again, get an open furrow and it should stay open.

Hope this helps and have fun in the dirt. :)

• Like 2

doc724

Just about all the replies have nailed it, but no one told you how to tell if the ground is too wet to plow.  I was always told, pick up a handful of soil and squeeze it in your hand, if it makes a meatball that will not fall apart, it is probably too wet.  If it falls apart, it is just right for plowing.  The problem with plowing wet soil is that you compact it and all the air is squeezed out of the soil under the tractor.  The water then does not drain well and the plant roots cannot breathe. 

• Like 3

prondzy

Looks like you tried for a second pass? If I'm seeing the pic right your left side is in the furrow. It should be the right side tires in the furrow otherwise your fighting the plow with the tractor.

WH nut

No matter how you slice it, its still the most fun you can have with your pants on.

• Like 3

ibskot

Thanks for all the feedback.i did in fact try a second and third pass. My son loved it. Gonna take some advice too and add liquid to rears this weekend. I may buy some chains too. Not sure. I really think if I can get heavier and it dried a bit I can do it.

The other thing is getting the plow properly set....and gonna take the suggestion from another thread to drill my hitch to give more lift so I don't drag through the yard and driveway getting to plow spot.

Thanks

ericj

i shorten my chain length when transporting and lengthen when i plow. it will barely lift when you are plowing, but you can get the job done. and if you plow with the ground to wet that plow will pull harder then 5 tons of bricks lol

eric j 

doc724

You do not have to have the plow set super deep.  I used to set mine so that it would go down 6 inches.  To keep from digging up the lawn before you get to the garden area, crank the plow point all the way up (turn the lever on the plow to the right) and when you get to the garden reset it.  I found I needed to pull the lift lever up while making turns to prevent gouging of the lawn before the return pass.  I always had a few clumps I had to stamp back down on the lawn.  I don't use a plow anymore.  I now use a tiller.  The reason is that it is too difficult to break the clods up with a disc harrow-they are just too light in weight-especially for newly broken soil.  As someone else said, it is fun though.  PS: be careful when you are plowing, snag a root or big rock and the front end will come come off the ground really fast!

Tankman

Looks good but, you're right, never plow wet earth.

Ruins the texture of the soil and is hard on the equipment.

Have fun! Great looking setup and the garden will love the Horse droppings. What did I just say, "Horse manure?" Gosh dung it!   :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

ibskot

I was really trying NOT to till. I will be happy discing multiple times. I have plantar fasciitis and wielding a till through the clumpy ground turning and twisting it puts too much strain on my feet. I am an RN and worked in the OR too long...now I do home health where it is mostly sitting.

Tankman, you are funny.

squonk

Get a tiller for the back of the horse! Even more seat time!

ibskot

I was going to. I was really looking when I first got the a WH. Then life changed, different house, kids etc and I just never got a hold of one at a price i could pay at a distance I was willing to drive.

WH nut

Just be careful you don't get the plow stuck so you don't get bucked off. This is with no weight. Just my fat butt.

post-1982-0-28703000-1427206495_thumb.jp

post-1982-0-54529400-1427206568_thumb.jp

• Like 1

WH nut

Try to put up a video but its not working

Edited by WH nut

ibskot

WH nut, it says the video is unavailable.

WH nut

I cant seem to get the video, If you do a search here for Plow time for the 704

There it looks like it worked

Edited by WH nut

ibskot

Nice setup you have. You are going really fast in that video. Is that low?