TunaSlayet

520 H?

TunaSlayet

Just bought this tractor and blower combo. I am guessing it is a 520, but the serial number is gone, and the hood just says "classic". It has hydraulic lift, hydro trans, and a Kohler m20QS model engine. (Runs beautiful) Any help, or insight front the 520 guys would be appreciated. Only reason for knowing the model, is I need to order a few wear items, and once the blizzard stops, just want to give her some love. Looks like the trans is loosing a little fluid, and will probably be a spring time project. Sorry for the poor pictures, little tight in the garage now. Last picture is my semi restored 414-8. Thanks guys!

post-12915-0-45161400-1424008261_thumb.j

post-12915-0-41720100-1424008272_thumb.j

post-12915-0-73077800-1424008282_thumb.j

post-12915-0-46053600-1424008291.jpg

post-12915-0-79984200-1424008309_thumb.j

Sparky

All 520's came with ONAN motors. I think :scratchead:  the only WH that came with the Kohler M20 was the 420LSE (I don't think that's what you have). That motor must have been transplanted into that tractor. It could be a 520, but the pics are a bit dark and fuzzy.

:WRS:

Mike..........

smoreau

That tractor doesn't have a chrome clutch hoop and chrome trim on the hood does it? If it does it may be a 420LSE

JackC

The 520s had ONAN engines.  The only tractor with a 20 hp Kohler was the 420LSE.  The PTO harp seems to have a glow to it like it might be chrome plated which also was unique to the 420LSE.  Need more pictures.

TunaSlayet

Yes, it has a chrome clutch hoop, and chrome air filter, and muffler. The muffler is chrome, not a chrome cover

JackC

Are the wheels or the hitch on the back chrome plated, those were unique to the 420LSE?

TunaSlayet

No, not that I can tell. Perhaps a transplant.

TunaSlayet

Wheels may be chrome? Kinda look like paint, but there is no rust on them. I checked the hitch, it is chrome. So I really picked off a 410lse for 800$ with the blower. That just made my day. I smell a restoration coming!

post-12915-0-72838000-1424011558_thumb.j

post-12915-0-45725200-1424011580_thumb.j

post-12915-0-32127000-1424011595_thumb.j

JackC

Congratulations. You won the Wheel Hose lottery. Be careful about restorations?  It may clean up better than you think.

JackC

How about a picture of the seat and steering wheel?  Is there a plate on the hood with a unit number on it?

312Hydro

It has the wrong hood on it.It shouldn't say Toro or wheel horse classic. Maybe the previous owner had to swap hoods at one time? Here's hoping that there's a 420 LSE under that!

JackC

By the way, I have a new hood for an LSE.  There are no decals on it but it does have the pre-drilled holes for the identification plate.

One nice thing about a tractor purchased and used for winter duty is the engine has not been exposed to the high heat and dust of summer duty.

They also tend to have lower hours on them.

It would be good to see if more history is available for the tractor.

With blower and cab, that was a great deal even if it was not based on an LSE.

• Like 1

ericj

a 500 series tractor has a completely different dash then a 3,or 400 series tractor would so a description of the dash would help tell what the tractor started out as and any numbers on the fender pan would also help but this also could have been replaced like the hood or at least redecaled

eric j 

JackC

As to your comment about the wheels looking to be painted but no rust, i did read where Wheel Horse had some left over chrome wheels and they painted them and used them on other models.  You may have those wheels.  I did know the models that likely had them and I remember looking out for a tractor with those wheels.

• Like 1

TunaSlayet

Sorry again for the poor images, it is about 7 degrees in my garage right now. They guy I bought it off of was in Nashua NH and owned a landscape busniuess. He had 3 wheel horses at one time, all hydro with the 2 stage blower(which is an amazing attachment). He may have swapped hoods and parts to make one "nicer" horse to keep. By the time I got there they were all gone, and this was the last one he had. Can anyone describe what the small levers where the shifter would be on an 8 speed do? Look kinda hacked, as well as the safety's/start switch. That will be getting put back to stock with safety's, but the leavers have me stumped. Hydro speed?

post-12915-0-45791300-1424015652_thumb.j

post-12915-0-86763700-1424015661_thumb.j

post-12915-0-18873900-1424015670_thumb.j

post-12915-0-26968200-1424015681_thumb.j

post-12915-0-93438300-1424015688_thumb.j

TunaSlayet

There is no ID plate, or anything on the hood other than the decals, which look to be only one layer. Anyone know if parts are available for this machine, the starter looks like someone thought hitting it with a hammer makes it work. The battery is junk and does not have enough juice to shoot out the bendix. Also, the hour meter is way off. The way it is wired, the hour meter runs all the time, with the key off.

ericj

you are going to have to wait till warmer weather and take some better pictures and post on here for us to be able to make any kind of decision as to weather or not that tractor started life as a 420 lse it's definitely not a 500 series tractor. it most likely a 3 or 400 series tractor but it could have been a 418 that somebody swap a 20 hp motor over on. just to many thing not right to be able to tell for sure one way or another

eric j 

Forest Road

For $800 you scored big! The long lever is forward reverse. The lever sticking out of the dash is accessory up & down via hydraulics. The little lever to the right w the screw sticking through it is transmission disengage. That one you pull up and back it locks in place. I doubt I've ever used mine. Sticking out of the left side by your ankle is parking brake. You would press the brake and push it pull that lever and the brake will stay locked until you depress the brake again.

About your blower. The bushings on the end of the augers are of a poor deign. They wear out very fast. If you need to replace them look into grease able ball bearings w flange mounts available at TSC or an industrial supply. Don't let the chain get to worn or you'll be replacing the gears. Chains are cheap and relatively easy to change. Depending on usage I change mine every year or 2. Saves the sprockets. There's a nylon or wood block which keeps tension on the chain. Don't let it get to worn or you'll chuck a chain at the worst time. Some guys have fabricated an idler sprocket mount w ball bearings. Theres a grease fitting on the main bearing behind large sprocket. Apply grease liberally. Oil the chain regularly, motorcyle chain oil, chainsaw bar oil, wd-40, something is better than nothing. Simple maintenance goes a long way.

TT

Engines numbers are all correct for a 420 LSE and I see a chrome DCL, hydraulic lift lever, and belt release lever.
e4eb8238-b055-44d4-9d21-d51f718bed77.png

Many modifications/changes, but the foundation is there. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Winner winner chicken dinner. Great score.

Glenn

TunaSlayet

Wow! Lots of very helpful info guy. Can not thank you enough. Hopefully it will get me through the next couple storms, and I will give it new fluids/fillers/grease. As far as the blower goes, I plan on dis assembling, sand blasting, and goin the whole nine yards. It looks like the previous owner did a halfway decent job on maintence. Oil, and trains oil looked ok, and grease everywhere. I will take some better pictures once the snow stops, and post them up. I am shocked that it has the bones of a 420 lse, but the thing has just been hacked in a few spots. For such an expensive tractor the po really did not care about astetics. This was a worker. Hopefully the wheelhorse rescue league can bring this one back to life :) thanks guys!

• Like 3

Cutlas3391

Here's a pic of my 420lse chrome see if anything matches up...post-8224-14240518822_thumb.jpgpost-8224-142405190188_thumb.jpgpost-8224-142405192541_thumb.jpgpost-8224-142405196288_thumb.jpg

Cable

You won't find any of the chrome parts through a Toro dealer.  I have checked every single one myself.  The cost to get anything re-chromed these days will shock you.  Wheels are a particular problem because it is hard to get the chrome to deposit everywhere. The rear rims were done as two pieces and then welded together.  A little paint was put on the weld areas. The front wheels were two part rims bolted together. 

It is hard to tell from the photos but I do think you have scored a 420LSE. 

Congratulations!

TunaSlayet

so, it looks like the incorrect p[arts are as follows: steering wheel/seat/hood/rear fender and possibly wheels. The wheels i am still not sure of. They are painted, but look to be extremely clean for their age. This could have possibly been someones restoration project a few years back? At any rate, it is a hell of a tractor, and i look forward to bringing it back to a respectable condition. 

• Like 1