Ryangren

Engine parts for D180

Ryangren

I've just purchased a 1975 D180 and after only 10 hours of running it broke a connecting rod.  All the repair shops are telling me that the parts I need are discontinued and that a replacement engine doesn't exist.  Where can I get a rod and piston for this motor.  Eng # K482-35222B.

Sure do need some help.  Thanks.

gwest_ca

Here is the Kohler parts list

Service manual

Garry

Hodge71

Everyone at the repair shops told you correct. The only chance you have is on here and possibly  :techie-ebay: That is one tough engine to find stuff for. As is the 20 and 23 HP versions. I bought 2 NOS pistons and rods last year for my K-482 for $85. Very salty but nobody makes replacements so unless you find a whole engine in great shape...its a waiting game at best :confusion-scratchheadblue:  :confusion-helpsos:  :confusion-confused:  :banghead:

Edited by Hodge71

Ryangren

Thanks for your replies! I hope to get this machine running soon. Please keep me in mind if you happen to come across this motor in your travels.. Thanks again, Ryan

scotty

If I was you I would just do a motor swap to another motor. If I was in your position I would probably put in one of those predator twins if it fit. I don't see why you couldn't replace the motor?

Edited by scotty

Trouty56

Check the specs against the K241.....

• Like 2

Factory Dog

Ryan,

I did some looking around and it appears that "Jacks Small Engines" may still have some piston/ring sets available for your engine.  I have looked at their online ordering, but have not actually contacted them.  I am a Newbie, but some other fellers probably have already looked into this.  As far as the rods go, there is a company by the name of R&R Racing Products up in Gant Park, Illinois, that builds custom rods for just about anything, including Kohler engines.  They advertise that if they haven't already made one, all they need is a sample.  If you want to check into them, their web address is rrconnectingrods.com.  I suspect that going this route might be a little expensive, but you will have to make that call.  Have a good night, and don't give up on your Horse!!!

Sincerely,

Factory Dog

• Like 1

Ryangren

Factory Dog,

Thank you. I really appreciate that you took the time to research and reply to my posting. I will certainly look into this. I really can't say enough good things about the feedback I have gotten from you and others on this site! You guys are the best! Thanks so much.

Ryan

bobert94

check pats small engine plus. he has aftermarket pistons for under 30.00 & kohler pistons for way way more! as for rods there are some listed on e bay now.

Factory Dog

Yes, I noticed that the price for the Kohler piston and rings were very expensive.  As an old German friend of mine would often say, "They are very proud of those parts!".  I would take Mr. bobert94's recommendation and look at some of the aftermarket components.  When I go back to the factory next Tuesday I will talk with one of our maintenance gentleman who has a side business in rebuilding small engines and race engines.  He may be able to give me some more insight into what aftermarket components are available, and where the best place to get them from would be.  I also need to stop in at Kings Engines Monday.  He specializes in automotive and tractor engines, but he may know some good sources for various engine components.  I would highly recommend taking your time looking around and comparing your options to make the best decision.  I would also like to say that these folks on the wheel horse forum have been a huge blessing to me also. 

Sincerely,

Factory  Dog

• Like 1

Factory Dog

Ryan,

I talked with my engine friends this week, but really didn't learn much.  One of them has any special pistons he needs, manufactured by a local machinist $$$.  I was on Jack's Small Engine website again and seen that they had Gravely pistons that are supposed to fit the K482.  These were selling for $57.94 for the piston alone, which isn't a bad price.  I know that engine parts in general seem somewhat high, but then maybe I am just to frugal.  I am kind of curious as to what exactly a Gravely is?  I thought they were a brand of tractors, not engines.  Anyway, have a great night!!!

Sincerely,

Factory Dog

tech270154

Ryangren

Thanks to you all! It's been a really long search to find parts, time, and man power to fix this horse..the motor finally got back together and was running but sounded as if there was some crazy knocking..the valves need adjustment and ooops, the fly wheel wasn't on tight.. should be good to go now! 

You guys are great. Thank you for your help.

-Ryan

• Like 1

tommyg

Just curious if you needed any machining on the crank with undersized rods or oversized pistons for the cylinders. My D180 issues began as a crazy knocking. I thought it was the valves as well. Then, I thought I hit something with the mower deck. It was actually the rod breaking. Looked high and low for the over/undersized components and came up short. Made the decision to forgo the Kohler 18 and put in a used 25HP Kohler Command. Really happy with the result.

Ryangren

I'm not sure what my friend did with the parts he found..the guy is a genious and seriously can fix anything. The 25 kohler fit? Cool.. where did you find that used motor? 

tommyg

It took a little Yankee ingenuity, but I couldn't be happier with the end result. Found the motor at a local mower shop. The owner had been kicking it around his shop for a couple years and was glad to give me a deal on it. Low hours. Runs like a top. Here's the thread where I journaled my steps if you want to take a look.