mels

NG from CT

mels

Wifey says she wants her '58 RJ58 fixed up for Shovelfest this year, so poking around the net I found this site.  Registered this morning, thinking about getting prepared to tackle her RJ helps takes my mind off the cold wind of Winter outside...

Sorry the pic is rotated, can't figure out how to fix that.

post-14606-0-05723200-1422726059_thumb.j

post-14606-0-05304600-1422726305_thumb.j

post-14606-0-03141000-1422726428_thumb.j

• Like 4

C-101plowerpower

Welcome to redsquare, some nice old stuff you've got there. good looking rj, i'd just wipe it down with an oily rag

Koen

• Like 1

mels

post-14606-0-53997300-1422726530_thumb.j

• Like 2

Sparky

Welcome!

Mike......

• Like 1

mels

Thanks, Koen. 

We've had it for years, mower deck was stolen 12 years ago and now that I think of it the wagon (which I'd forgotten all about) we had for it was stolen at the same time.  Wifey wants to clean it up and get the engine running so it'll fire up on the first pull and just use it to tug a wagon around with.

I'm an oily rag guy, don't think that'll do for her this time though lol.

Lot of sharp looking machines here on this site, good inspiration to get me up off the recliner...

Thanks Mike.  How'd you make out for snow a couple days ago?

AMC RULES

Looks like it should clean up pretty easily...

think the wife needs a total resto?    :scratchead:  

:eusa-doh:  I'm talking tractor...not the wife.   

:WRS:

• Like 1

mels

Thanks Craig.  Buddy of mine used to run an AMX Javelin up in Oneonta NY years ago.  Car pulled pretty good. 

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

WELCOME TO THE CT. RED SQUARE GROUP. HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE MEETS IN NEW ENGLAND.     RUSS

• Like 1

Ken B

Welcome to Redsquare. I'm probably ten minutes away. Nice little RJ!

• Like 1

stevebo

I am not sure if that is a 58. The seat is a 59 ... Here is my 59 that came from a farm in Brookfield a few years ago...

post-734-0-52473700-1422745514_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-36642800-1422745536_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-03496400-1422745558_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-16360000-1422745599_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

mels

Thanks Steve, not knowing much at all about these old girls all I had to go on was what I was told when we took her in.  Looking forward to learning all these little details that set the years apart from each other.  I'll have to check my seat out and grab a couple better pictures tomorrow.

Edited by mels

wallfish

:WRS:

Nice little RJ.

What is Shovelfest?

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:   Seeing the RJ next to the rear wheels of the Deere got me to thinking about putting some BIG tires on mine, not quite that big!   :ROTF:   You have a great candidate for a quick restoration, and a wife who likes  :wh: , now that is a good combination.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 1

mels

post-14606-0-82791500-1422753820_thumb.j

Thanks John.  

We own a couple old Shovelhead Harleys and have been on a Shovelhead forum for a number of years.  

Shovelfest is an annual bash where forum members from all over the world get together and let loose camping and riding together for not nearly enough days.  Words don't do it justice.  Imagine having a couple hundred brothers and sisters, most of whom you only see for a week or so each year and man when you get together it's like you never missed a day.  No nonsense, no BS, not even a cross word in anger.  Heck, most families can't even get together for Thanksgiving without some kind of drama, lol...

Travels around the country, this year it'll be back in Tennessee.  

Wifey wants her RJ ready to putt around the grounds with, so in a way Shovelfest magic brought me here to RS,  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by mels

mels

Thanks, '953

That's a 39-40 John Deere B.  Wifey digs tractors enough that she was adamant that it was at our Wedding.  Truth.

Where in West Carolina are you?  We head down to funky town (Asheville) every once in a while for BBQ at 12 Bones.  Worth the trip.

Served U.S. ARMY, '82-'88.  Thanks for your service!

post-14606-0-55637100-1422754464.jpg

Edited by mels

Amanda

Welcome :)

• Like 1

mels

Thanks Massachusetts  :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut

Thanks, '953

That's a 39-40 John Deere B.  Wifey digs tractors enough that she was adamant that it was at our Wedding.  Truth.

Where in West Carolina are you?  We head down to funky town (Asheville) every once in a while for BBQ at 12 Bones.  Worth the trip.

Served U.S. ARMY, '82-'88.  Thanks for your service!

attachicon.gifWedding Tractor.JPG

We live in Franklin, about 1 1/2 hour trip from Asheville. There is a good vintage tractor show there in October called "Apple Country AT&E". Yes, 12 Bones is worth the trip, they were selected as the best local eatery in the US by ABC's Good Morning America a few years ago; you need to try the Blueberry Ribs, outstanding! Now that you have my mouth watering I guess I will have to make a road trip!   :ROTF: 

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:  Looks like you've got some cool toys!

• Like 1

mels

Thanks Jake.

I just dig mechanical things.  The older and simpler the better, and there's plenty of 'em.

After 4 kids grown and gone we've had to sell a lot of it all off over the years to pay for them and their care.

Looks like you've got a good share of stuff yourself!

jackhammer

Welcome to RedSquare  ,   I see your going to have a great time

Fun Engineer

Welcome to RS NG.

Sent from my tractor seat.

wallfish

Thanks John.  

We own a couple old Shovelhead Harleys and have been on a Shovelhead forum for a number of years.  

Shovelfest is an annual bash where forum members from all over the world get together and let loose camping and riding together for not nearly enough days.  Words don't do it justice.  Imagine having a couple hundred brothers and sisters, most of whom you only see for a week or so each year and man when you get together it's like you never missed a day.  No nonsense, no BS, not even a cross word in anger.  Heck, most families can't even get together for Thanksgiving without some kind of drama, lol...

Travels around the country, this year it'll be back in Tennessee.  

Wifey wants her RJ ready to putt around the grounds with, so in a way Shovelfest magic brought me here to RS,  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Shovelfest seems exactly like the big Wheel Horse show in PA. Lots of good people, all having a good time getting together once a year to share a common interest.

VinsRJ

Welcome to RS! 

Coadster32

Welcome to RS. Nice story. Really cool your wife digs this stuff also!!