520h

1993 520-h oil filter question

520h

Hello everybody, this is my first post, although I have been a member for a while. I ordered a tune up kit off ebay for my 1993 520-h and the guy sent me a stens oil filter part no. 120-345. I thought it was supposed to be part no.120-517?

MalMac

I can't remember the part numbers off hand but there are two different ones used. One is a little longer than the other. Depends which year your tractor is as to which one is used. I am sure someone else will chime in here with more specific info.

boovuc

I think the 517 is the longer filter. The 345 fits but it's shorter. The longer the filter, the easier it is to put on and definitely take off.

MalMac

If I remember right the longer one will not fit in some of the years or was so tight you had to really maneuver or take out the rubber air seal then try to reinstall it. I had both but can not remember which went to which. Seems like the 520's that had steering reduction had the motor placement just a tad different from the 90 and older units that did not have reduction. I maybe all wrong here. I remember that I had one 520 that took a short and one took a long. I found out accidentally when I bought two long filters and could not get one on because it was too long.

boovuc

Hi MalMac!

Mine is a 1991 with the reduction steering and the forward sloped front axle. I use the long NAPA filter on the Onans. It comes out and goes in but it is tight and you have to tilt it in just a certain way to get them in and out. This makes a hell of a mess with oil in the filter but it also makes it much easier to get a hand on the filter to loosen and tighten it.

I bought a short filter for mine on the first oil change I did and I hell a heck of a time getting it tight. I was barely able to get a little bit of a belt wrench on it to take it off.

MalMac

I am trying to remember which one I had a time with on the long filter. What I do remember was the only way I could get the thing in was to remove the air seal. Like you said it made a mess all over. Also like you said the short is way short. I have a band oil filter wrench that pivots. It allowed me just enough of a bite to get on it. I will have to go out and look at my 90 520 to see what's on it. It never gets used and been awhile since oil change. Some reason I think it's got the short filter. I will check later and post.