BDJudy

Ideas for hydraulics?

BDJudy

Okay, engine running(may need some tuning to carb, but that'll come). On to the hydraulics! Someone in the past of this tractors life rigged on a 67-68 GM 20-142 power steering pump for hydraulics. Not a bad idea, but it,s ran off the flywheel side of the engine! The pulley is crudely mounted to flywheel. What other designs can I try? 0230b89df2d2f4a46c6d62c5dddc4aef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The current pump robs a lot of hp from engine

I have a new pump, but the whole system is currently removed from tractor, no better time to play with ideas!

Edited by BDJudy

TT

:scratchead: It's a hydro......  get the necessary parts and run it off the tranz pump.

SousaKerry

Well you are in luck because mounted directly under your butt is a really big hydraulic pump.  An Automatic or Hydrostatic drive tractor is simply a hydraulic pump coupled directly to a hydraulic motor.  Now the difficult part is getting that fluid from the pump to your lift valve.  Wheel Horse did make this an option and that is likely where some of your parts came from.  You would almost need a junk tractor with all the right parts to make the switch though, it requires a different valve body on the main hydraulic pump and a few hoses. 

I think a few people on here have done the conversion but I have not so I do not know all the details.

BDJudy

I understand I'm sitting on a pump that would work, but I'm not real hydro rear end savvy!

I was actually thinking about using a 12v linear actuator. More in my wheel house!

I'm an industrial electrician! Lol

Edited by BDJudy

BDJudy

So, where can I get a manual for the hydro. Need pics and instructions for this kinda stuff!

gwest_ca

Back in the day

Garry

JackC

I would use what is there for now and look for a junk parts tractor to get the correct Wheel Horse parts.  The tractor looks too nice to kludge up.  

Someone is selling the parts for a mid 60s to 70s Wheel Horse.  Looks like most of the parts are already on your tractor.

Search eBay or Hartford, CT Craigslist for "Wheel Horse Hydraulic Lift System"

Edited by JackC

Callen

Make sure it has the parts out of the transmission to go with it.

bmsgaffer

Definitely go with the built in hydro pump (i'm an electrical engineer), the hydro will be stronger, much faster and not put an unnecessary drain on your electrical system. And possibly cheaper too.

Not to mention everything will just feel like it fits better because it was designed that way :handgestures-thumbupright:

BDJudy

All I need is the parts to put on the hydro pump, I have the lift valve and cylinder, where can u get them? Hoses I can make!

Edited by BDJudy

BDJudy

I don't even know what parts to look for is what I really mean!

BDJudy

Where is tag or identification on rear end