nrowles

Why Do You Buy?

clem

My horses are 30 to 60 years old and still perform like they are new. It's hard to not like something that reliable!

• Like 5

Mr. 856

Exactly. I have one tractor that fell into my lap a few years back. A 1966 856 with a few attachments. I was instantly impressed at how simple it was but how stout it was at the same time. You can not buy a garden tractor like what they used to make back then. They are real work machines and don't be afraid to work them as that's what they were built to do. I have space for more, but honestly I like the idea of having the one, making it my baby and maintaining her like one. You cant go wrong with a wheel horse and like some other brands every sit has there opinions. Some of the old round hoods with the tractor seats are awesome and if I could add another it would be one of them. Enjoy the ride if you own 1 or 40. Some have made it a true hobby to collect. As father with a 20 month old and another due in May I just don't have the time for more tractors.

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

Warning: Long WInded.

I grew up on a 1984 C-105 that my dad bought when he was building our house about 1987 (I was 1). Rode on it when I was a wee one and plowed snow on it and cut the 1 acre of grass for probably 10 years. My dad had no special attachment to it so when the engine went for a second time about 2010, he parked it and bought a Deere. I had so many memories growing up on it that I told him to keep it for me, I would restore it. I remember giving my cousins rides in the wagon and many many hours spend in the seat cutting grass (and cursing the 8 speed transmission when cutting the back corner of the yard :)) I always LOVED when it snowed to get some seat time pushing snow.

I remember always chatting with my dad about how much better built the WH seemed than all the other garden tractors we'd ever seen. When my dad bought the new Deere he had to pay nearly $200 for the kit to angle the snow blade from the seat! That feature CAME with the WH plow over 20 years prior! We always liked how the long plow frame put the pushing power right at the drive wheels.

I signed up for the old RedSquare way back in the day (I just found my old registration email! I signed up on 2/1/2010) to find out information on them. I lurked without posting for many years but then I got bit by the bug after buying a C-125 to replace the engine in the C-105. After learning all about them I started searching for the grandaddy kohler powered C-165 with a hydro transmission. I found a ratty one on ebay and voila i owned my third tractor!

Then I found a little round hood I want to have for my son(s) to work on too. I bought a 520 because I really wanted the gear reduction steering and swept axle for better turning radius, but then I got sucked in by the sound of the onan (dont get me wrong, Kohler for reliability, but Onan sounded sweet) so I am making a swept axle onan powered blackhood.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 8

Gary L.

I  like to collect and restore things, I restored a 1949 Farmall Cub, a few old bicycles from the 40s & 50s, some old toys etc. I bought a 71 GT14  3 years ago,this past year a 68 Raider 12 (restored ) and a 68 Commando 8 currently working on. kinda gives a feeling of accomplishment bringing something back to life.  also I notice a few members are ham radio ops, me too. N3CXC

• Like 4

1973Auto

Very cool thread. Enjoyed reading these. I got hooked on the Horse when I went to some guys house that was selling a bunch of stuff or junk if you will, there was the horse and a cub he was asking $100 more for the cub so I bought the horse. Glad I did I have had my share of problems but the great thing about the WH's is they are so easy to work on. I only have1 horse I had 2 but I blew the other one up, then I bought another for parts......it kind of gets addicting. The WH's just don't die!!! I already put a new engine on my orange tractor that I only mow, because that's all it powerful enough to do. The WH's are just so freckin powerful it's amazing.

• Like 2

Brrly1

Why do I buy?? That's a good question. It's my hobby, it's what I enjoy. Pretty simple to work on. Dad bought the first Wheel Horse in 72'. Yes it was a GT14. A fantastic tractor which I got to know quite well over a period of four years before Calif.. I plowed an awful lot of snow tilled more dirt than you can shake a stick at. Probably mowed about two acres a week sometimes more. With the pushing snow in mind I get out and clear the walks here in my neighborhood. So no one pays me I enjoy it! That's why I buy because its enjoyable to me and alot of my friends!! We have a fantastic time, go to the Big show!!!! Go to a swap meet, sell tractors or attachments, camp overnight and hang out with nothing but Good people. Once you get involved you'll Know

• Like 8

Racinbob

Flip? As in...

attachicon.gifback-flip_commando.jpg

Yea Bob, that's obviously what I was referring to. Not funny at all at the time but you're OK and I'm betting you've got the tractor back in tip-top shape.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I'm okay, but the Commando is still under the weather. Too many other project in the works at this time. 

• Like 1

nrowles

Flip? As in...

attachicon.gifback-flip_commando.jpg

oh my!  I cringed when I saw the picture.

nrowles

Thanks for the awesome posts guys.  This is good stuff and exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread.  The old photos are great.

I'm getting even more pumped about this new hobby. 

I don't think it is a desirable horse ??, but my stepdad has a Work Horse that has sat for quite a few years now and has some issues.  I may just see if he wants to fix it up.

• Like 4

AJ_Thanatos

I personally like the red Wheel Horse but the Work Horse has a good following too! 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Nothing wrong with a Work Horse. 

• Like 2

Horse46

I'm pretty much like post No.7 I saw my nieghbour riding his C-160, while I was mowing on my modern ride on McCulloch a few months ago. 

I always wanted to build a hotrod but space and finance never allowed it. I have built a few custom bikes along the way to keep me entertained, and I think that's what kinda got my attention, this little red tractor sounded cool and looked all kinda hotrod, so I asked him what it was.

I was hooked immediately, I don't know why, I'm not into gardening, I don't particularly like cutting the grass (didn't like) and now I find myself looking at other one's. Of course I won't buy another one.......

• Like 2

Racinbob

I would have to say I prefer the red ones too but a GT1100 Work Horse I had was a great tractor. Wheel Horse apparently made them for the price point. Briggs motor, 4 pinion diff with 1" axles (at least on the GT1100) and a few other things to lower the cost. The color is an opinion thing but I did like the gray as something different.

• Like 1

JC 1965

I just love these old tractors. I purchased my first :wh:  new in 1979 and then picked up two used ones years later. I tinkered with the used ones and got the bugs out. The 79 model with a 48" blade I use for pushing snow and the other two are for cutting grass. If one breaks down I don't have to rush to fix it, i just use the other one. I would like to have more but I don't have storage space and with a bad back it is getting harder for me to keep up the maintenance on the ones I have. I love looking at the other members tractors on Red Square and following their threads on restorations. I know there are other good older model tractors out there but for me nothing can compare to a Wheel Horse.    :thumbs2:  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.    :hide:

• Like 4

bowtieguy

What started in 1973 was a lawn ranger to plow snow ...40 years later (an 40+ WHs later) I have proof that the addiction has become a friendship thing....one day I had to upgrade my cell phone..young gal started downloading my contact list (she said it would only take a minute)...minutes later she said "how many people do you know?...then she said did you know you have 364 contacts?...I said "is that all".....cause you see I have met a ton on people because of that little red ranger and I always save their phone number....probably half of the numbers belong to you guys....if I've ever met you or talked to you I've got your number and consider you as MY FRIEND....and my RS member number is seven (7) so proof that I know alot of you guys (including Mr Cecil Pond).

So if you want to be added to my list of 364. just call me about anything that is faded red and makes noise...I'll probably add ya~~!!......816-806-9774

PS: I still have that little faded red Lawn Ranger and snow blade!!....might get to use it this week!!!

• Like 9

Ken B

Thanks for the awesome posts guys.  This is good stuff and exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread.  The old photos are great.

I don't think it is a desirable horse ??, but my stepdad has a Work Horse that has sat for quite a few years now and has some issues.  I may just see if he wants to fix it up.

There was a red Work Horse also..

55hp566.jpg

• Like 8

DOC in Kentucky

Because if I didn't spend my money wisely on Wheel Horse collecting.....my wife would probably spend it fixing up the broken down car or on much needed house repairs!!!

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher

There was a red Work Horse also..

55hp566.jpg

:USA:  :wh:    AAHHH I `ll take Shelby also if u need the room.

953 nut

:text-goodpost:   I bought my first  :wh:  at the Florida Flywheelers show about  twenty years ago. I had some property that we were developing and wanted a rouged mower to keep the weeds down. I saw my 1055 and took it for a test mow: I was hooked! I was telling a coworker (fellow old junk lover) about it just before he went on vacation, he emailed me a couple of pictures of my  first 953 and offered to haul it home from Ohio; just $200, I couldn't pass it up! These are the two shown to the left.

When we moved from Florida to North Carolina the house we bought came with a 312-8, I guess it was meant to be.

I was so impressed with the first 953 that I soon had another 953 and a suburban and an RJ, then when I decided I wanted a front end loader the only logical thing to do was buy a GT-14 with a loader. They all serve a purpose, They make me HAPPY!   :woohoo: 

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 4

clem

A horse is a horse of course of course... Sorry everyone, just couldn't stop myself! My opinion is that even a less popular horse beats anything you compare it to, or I wouldn't spend so much time soaking up the experience shared at this site!

• Like 1

can whlvr

been around wheelhorse most of my life,my nana had one that I drove ,mowed,pulled harrows,plowed snow,cut neighbors lawns,and this was before I was 10,loved them so much I bought a new one when I was 23,for my country property that I still live on and still have my 308,ya ive added a few,7 more,and use them all,it nice to have backups and not have to move implements around,and I enjoy buying a wreck and bring her back to life

• Like 3