Sign in to follow this  
Michcruiser60

help rebuilding my hydraulic pump

Michcruiser60

My 953's hydraulic pump (HEIN-WERNER) has been leaking so I pulled it off to see if I could rebuild it. Or at least stop the leak. I did watch Bill rebuild one at the Wheel Horse Show some time back.

I've already started to disassemble it but I can't seem to get the cover off the cast end. The lever handle spring is broke, it will only return from one side. If the spring is broke will this stop it from unscrewing? How does it come apart if this is not the case?

:D

Mich60

BPjunk

Hummmmmmm Must not have been paying attention during that Tech session and now your not ready for the POP QUIZ! :D

Ok OK there is no staying after school here to clean erasers so .......

Once you have the nut off the long bolt holding the reservoir just lighty tap around the canister to loosen it from the cast base. You might try soaking the end in spray oil too.

Once the reservoir is off you see a small cast housing for the pump gears just remove the screws to take this cover off.

The neutral return spring should not interfer with removal of the reservoir housing.

On one of my pumps I gas welded (brazed) the broken spring back togther. There two types of springs made for this pump AND neither were cheap as I paid $42.00 list price on the last one I bought.

If you can not find a Wheel Horse dealer for parts on your pump try a local hydraulic shop or a Power King tractor dealer as they also used the same Hein-Werner pump.

Now remember I wil be watching you guys in the back up the class for the next Tech Session!!!!

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1199411432.jpg

Michcruiser60

Thanks!! Next time you have class I'll watch all the of it and not the pretty "Wheel Horse Girls" that hang out down there. :D

Seriously, I thought the tank screwed off. Well, I'm off the the garage!!!

Thanks again Mich60

perry

"Wheel Horse Girls" :P hey now we need pics :D .

have fun with that hydro. hope you get'er all fixed up.

TT

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :(:P:(:D:(

7f5c1c93.jpg

No, I didn't do that on purpose -- they just walked in to the frame as I was snapping the photo. :o

perry

terry, terry, terry :P . thats NOT what i ment :D

TT

I know that, Perry -- but I didn't think a picture of the nudist girl from The Wheel Horse Story book would sit well on here. :D

Michcruiser60

Okay, I have the tank off now. Someone had put RTV behind the flat washer. I was thinking the washer was part of the tank. :D

Great news...my spring is not broke!!! But, one side will not stay in the small holes. I have one more question, with more probably coming. Does the, what I'll call "piston for the handle" have one or two o-rings? Mine has one but there is another groove there. Is it a fliud groove?

I have pic's too but photobucket must be working on their site. I can't get on to upload anything right now.

Mich60

CHARGER9AUTO

Hummmmmmm Must not have been paying attention during that Tech session and now your not ready for the POP QUIZ! :(

Ok OK there is no staying after school here to clean erasers so .......

Once you have the nut off the long bolt holding the reservoir just lighty tap around the canister to loosen it from the cast base. You might try soaking the end in spray oil too.

Once the reservoir is off you see a small cast housing for the pump gears just remove the screws to take this cover off.

The neutral return spring should not interfer with removal of the reservoir housing.

On one of my pumps I gas welded (brazed) the broken spring back togther. There two types of springs made for this pump AND neither were cheap as I paid $42.00 list price on the last one I bought.

If you can not find a Wheel Horse dealer for parts on your pump try a local hydraulic shop or a Power King tractor dealer as they also used the same Hein-Werner pump.

Now remember I wil be watching you guys in the back up the class for the next Tech Session!!!!

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Bill, That 702 with HY-3 hydro pump looks like mine I'd traded you at the show looking back I should kept the ( 2 ) 702's I had one was for free it had a older dozer blade that went to the Club raffle tractor . the other one I paid $200 with the cracked frame maybe next time I will learn to keep them :P:D Ben

CasualObserver

Yep Terry, that worked... but umm... can someone tell me what about part number 9 makes it $81 ?!?!?! Looks like flat bar stock with three holes to me? :D

Michcruiser60

I hope this works. (and I hope it will help you)

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...A-123A0013-0005

Thanks that's what I needed. Tomorrow I'll get an o-ring (#15 in the break down sheet) and put this back together. I'll still shoot some pic's when I can.

Hopefully I'll be pushing snow soon.

Mich60

Michcruiser60

Yep Terry, that worked... but umm... can someone tell me what about part number 9 makes it $81 ?!?!?! Looks like flat bar stock with three holes to me? :D

I thought the same thing.

CHARGER9AUTO

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :(:(:o:P:o

7f5c1c93.jpg

No, I didn't do that on purpose -- they just walked in to the frame as I was snapping the photo. :o

Terry, I think the two little Girls with the show T-shirts look kind of Cute in the picture you posted :(B):D Ben

Michcruiser60

Here are a few pic's of the pump. The spring is held in by a pin then drops into the two holes. You can see where one side keeps poping out.

Click on the picture to enlarge.

th_pumprepair011.jpg

th_pumprepair006.jpg

th_pumprepair002.jpg

Rollerman

I had this problem with the spring in a 953 pump I rebuilt.

One of the ends had broke off just enough to let it come loose...but not enough was gone to make it look obvious.

It's been so long ago I'm not 100% certain how I fixed it either. :D

But double check the ends of the spring...make sure there even.

Curmudgeon

Yeah, Bill knows his stuff, but still, I attended one of his tech sessions, on rebuilding a 3-speed transaxle. When he opened it up, a bunch of wrenches fell out from the last time he'd worked on it.

Amazing what you can with a Wheel Horse!!!!

Dale

Michcruiser60

After looking at this thing today... in the warmth of my house. I'm thinking when you guys say that the spring is broke, you don't mean that it's broke in half.. Or where it rides in the groove. But rather it must be broken at the end of the spring where it goes into the hole of the cast end. Is that right?

Since someone else has already had mine apart I'm thinking I could find a piece of wire the same size to weld on the end of mine. But I'm afraid that regular wire might twist off later.

Or I could drill / ream out the hole in the cast end using a drill press then insert a cut down roll pin that the spring could slide into. I could raise the "hole" up about a 1/4" then. Has anyone tride this before?

Bill, when you brazed you spring back together was your break at the end of the spring? If so then that's what I'll do also. No need in making more of this then I need to.

Thanks, Mich60

Rollerman

Mich thats what happened with mine.....the end that fit into the hole had busted off.

Not much...just enough to prevent it from staying seurely in that hole.

If I remember I got lucky & found a new spring for cheap...been a while back?

Seems if I remember right the 953 spring & the 1054 spring are differant & possibly not interchangeable?

I hope Bill will chime in too...curious how his repair held up.

I have been seeing these pump units showing up on ebay...not sure if it's the same one being relisted or the guy got lucky & found a box of NOS?

Michcruiser60

I have been seeing these pump units showing up on ebay...not sure if it's the same one being relisted or the guy got lucky & found a box of NOS?

I've had my eye one these also. So far this makes the third one.

I sheepishly showed mama :D She said get if I need to. I guess that's why I married her. I just don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

Mich60

TT

Apparently there's either only one of these left on Earth and the price has gone up because of that reason, or it's just a typo or incorrect entry. :P

combatmp29r

OK here is one of those off the wall questions. Well maybe not. If one end is broken just slightly, enough to not make it stay in. Could you file or cut the opposite end to match? Is there enough clearance in the groove it seats in to let it sit down a little farther? I've never done such a thing, but by looking at the pictures and parts diagram it looks feasable. Again I can't see how much clearance there is or how much of a difference in length the ends have.

kpinnc

I know these pumps were used by JD, Cub Cadet, and a few other manufactuers. the springs are still available, because Pop just got one for his Cub.

Whatever you do- DO NOT order the pump head assembly from any of the aftermarket (partstree, RCPW, etc..) suppliers. They show them as available for $3-$5 each. There is a misprint in the Toro parts viewer, and you will not get the pump head. Toro verified that they are no longer available, but I don't know if they have fixed the MPV or not yet.

Seals, O-rings, and the springs are still available though.

Kevin