MaineDad

Tire Pressure with loader

MaineDad

Guys,

What do you have the rear and front tire pressure set at on your WH with a loader?

boovuc

I never checked but they are no different than what I use in my other tractors. I just fill them when needed with air until they are firm. The only time I run any tire soft is if I'm plowing and losing grip and that is only with my ags and no chains.

cheesegrader

20 lbs for the loader and the snowthrower

12 for things that run on the lawn

MaineDad

20 pounds both front and rear tires?

rmaynard

A lot depends on how many ply the tires are, the type of tire, their age/condition, and the condition of the rims. Some 4 ply tri-ribs tires can run as high as 60-100 pounds. Check with the tire manufacturer. They should have a chart with weight to pressure ratios for all types and styles of their tires. "Normal" inflation pressure is based on average front end weight and the purpose for which the tire is being used, i.e. 2-ply turf savers are rated at 15 pounds for grass cutting on the average lawn/garden tractor. 

What one guy uses in his tires may not be ideal or safe for your tires.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Air them up to where you think they should be, then watch how much they squat under a load Micah. 

Your machine stability/seat of the pants feel will change greatly with a loaded bucket in the air. 

Edited by AMC RULES

MalMac

One word of caution while we are on this very subject. I air my front tires up to 20 lbs on my loader tractor. You have got to be aware that stock front tires have a very low Ply rating. I did have one blow out while raising a full bucket. If it was not for a tree right next to me I would have tipped right over. Just something to think about. That experience rated right up there with the best of them on having to go change your underwear. Believe me no fun.

• Like 3

doc724

On my 5xi with the loader, I have 4 ply tires.  With the loader on, I run 20 psi up front (per the kwik way manual) and 12 psi in the rear.  For grass cutting I run 12 psi all around.  I agree with MalMac, if you are going to run a loader, invest in 4 ply tires, at least in the front.  4 plys also seem to be more resistant to flats from thorns, probably because the tread is much deeper.

cheesegrader

I run the same pressure on the front and back tires.

The loader has 4-ply fronts at 20 lbs, and fluid filled rear ags, now with diamond v-bar chains!

The snowthrower has (new)tri-rib fronts at 20, and (new)turfs with chains on the rear at 20.

The chains are 2-link v-bars.  They grip better when they are tight on the tire, and don't roll or slip when I keep the tires at 20

The mower has (older) turfmasters all around at 12 lbs.

KyBlue

Interesting read and good food for thought ... will be sure to keep this thread in mind for when I have my FEL ...

alswagg

On mine, which is a loader/backhoe.  All tires are filled with RV antifreeze  and all are 6 ply tires.  The fronts I run 10lbs and the rear I run 5 lbs.  Now remember nearly the entire tire is filled with fluid, any everyone knows you can't really compress a liquid.  This makes turning easy, the fronts are a ribbed design.  I do have a power steering kit to install as well.  Hint, if filling tires with liquid I suggest utilizing tubes.  Al