Coley909

Positive ground on 1075 wh

Coley909

I noticed in the manual my wheel horse is a negative ground but when I bought it its been switched to a positive ground setup. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I'm having a charging issue u may need to repolarize my generator but I'm not sure

Tristan Wilson

I don't know why someone would change it mabey thay wired it up wrong it should be negative ground but if I can rember the starter gen should work both ways that might have been used to working on old farmall's thay were positive ground it might have fired the voltage regulater first check the starter out to make sure the charging side is working the old way I allways checked them was to unhook the belt and wires off ground it and put 12v on the starter side get it up to speed and switch it to the charging side it should slow down to a stop that will tell you that your starter gen is work

Coley909

It's producing to the battery 15-16 volts but in ac. Which is the starter side and which is charge? This whole starter gen is new to me

Tristan Wilson

the post marked with A is the start post and the post marked with F is the charging post  I say its a fried voltage regulator from them making it positive ground

Coley909

I would agree. But they did make the switch for just about every wire I think I'll return it to negative ground

Tristan Wilson

yes that what needs done return back to negative ive never understand why people rig up this old mowers for hope you get it all strighted out

Coley909

It's a fresh rebuilt generator so that makes me think they messed it up then. I'll wire it according to the diagram in the manual

Tristan Wilson

ok good luck to you coley909 take it 1 wire at a time

Coley909

Thanks good thing there aren't many wires. I just need to figure out how to repolarize my generator after its all done.

chip61

Is your battery connected as a negative ground?? Here is what I found:

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/17738-help-with-a-starter-generator/

'motobreeder', on 02 Nov 2012 - 7:18 PM, said:snapback.png

Isn't there a step to polarize the generator or regulator?

If it's a generator, yes. If it's a starter-generator, no. A starter-generator is self-polarizing when you engage the starter.

• Like 1

Tristan Wilson

Polarity. Whenever generator or regulator wires have been disconnected, the generator should be polarized after the units have been reconnected and before the engine is started. If this procedure is not followed, the generator or control box may be severely damaged. To polarize the generator, place one end of a jumper wire firmly against the armature terminal on the control box and then touch the other end momentarily to the battery terminal of the control box. This sends a surge of battery current through the generator and automatically gives the generator the correct polarity for the battery it is to charge.polarize.jpg

Polarity. Whenever generator or regulator wires have been disconnected, the generator should be polarized after the units have been reconnected and before the engine is started. If this procedure is not followed, the generator or control box may be severely damaged. To polarize the generator, place one end of a jumper wire firmly against the armature terminal on the control box and then touch the other end momentarily to the battery terminal of the control box (see drawing above). This sends a surge of battery current through the generator and automatically gives the generator the correct polarity for the battery it is to charge.

Geno

A starter-generator is self-polarizing when you engage the starter.

This is true.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

N3PUY

Maybe it wasn't an intentional change to positive ground ..... maybe someone just hooked up the battery backwards!  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

chip61

Maybe it wasn't an intentional change to positive ground ..... maybe someone just hooked up the battery backwards!  :eusa-think:

Hmmm......I guess with a s/g it could be as simple as that!!!

Callen

If it's wired pos ground, will the starter turn backwards?

Coley909

I replaced the battery in it. I put the new battery in the same way the old came out. It has a giant red cable from the motor to the positive terminal. A black cable on the left on the negative side I don't recall where that one went. It had a couple other wires attached to negative positive has one cable on it the red one to the motor. I have a diagram and it matches all but the battery being flipped around. I don't think someone did it accidently the cables match what they should.

If I remember correctly the starter generator turns clockwise. It's a delco remy on the badge on top of it.

Coley909

Also I don't know the difference between a starter gen and just a gen besides what the name entails all I know is when I hit the key the generator spins and the motor turns over via a belt. So I can safely assume based on names its a starter gen. Thus not needing to be polarized. Correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geno

Correct.  :)

Coley909

So after everyone's input my mind is spinning should I bother switching the ground to negative or should I replace my regulator and make sure every wire that needs to be switched to positive ground is correct and that's not the issue? Or should I just put everything back the way it used to be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericj

you can't always go by color on the battery terminals somebody may have just grabbed the right length cables and didn't worry about color i've seen and done this in the past for various reasons not to say the least of reasons was because the only cable i could find in the length i needed was the wrong color. i always try to look at where the cable goes and don't assume it's location based on color. earlier in the year i assumed terminal location on a C120 and hooked my booster pac up backwards and toasted my booster pac control. :hide:  now mind you i started 1 or 2 other C120 just before starting this particular tractor. so never assume anything with out double checking    :angry-banghead:   :laughing-rofl:  :twocents-twocents:

eric j

Coley909

So I should switch it back is what your saying?

ericj

i say follow the cables and see if you possibly hooked up backwards and yes i think i would change it back but thta's just me 

eric j

Coley909

The diagram in the manual shows it hooked it up backwards

N3PUY

Remember.... electricity cannot see what color wire it is flowing through!

Coley909

Does anyone have a 1075 I could see just to compare. I understand it can't tell but it looks like someone intentionally switched everything based on the wiring.