Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

how to go deeper?

BairleaFarm

I did a test run with my plow. I think its a brinley 8". How do I make it go deeper? Seems it was only digging in about 2"

Mith

Tilt it so that the point of the plough points downwards more. It'll draw into the ground more that way. The plough should be set so that it sits level when it is drawn into the ground to the correct depth. The easiest way to set it is to find a nice flat bit of ground, and lift the tractor to the correct angle, then set the plough to be level and flat on the ground.

CasualObserver

try following these instructions.

Plow setup instructions at WFM

BairleaFarm

thanks guys i did it and i didnt really help. I think the rain only got the first inch or so wet. When it gets a little wetter im sure it will work.

KyBlue

Hey David..if ya want drop it off here at the house... I got that garden in the back, gonna turn it under for the year, might work better in some recently tilled ground.. being that its so dry :banghead:

linen beige

How do I make it go deeper?

Didn't Adam ask this first? :banghead:

BairleaFarm

:banghead: :USA: Come on rain, make my soil wetter so I can plow

linen beige

When it gets a little wetter im sure it will work.

And Eve had the answer. :banghead:

Seriously though, I'd say it will work a lot better in the spring, when the ground is already softened up from some rain.

BairleaFarm

It couls also be that the plow is sitting to high on the tractor. Ive got a slot hitch adapter but doesnt the other kind of hitch sit level with the regular hitch while in plow mode?

BairleaFarm

Maybe mine is broken. I notice in the first to pictures the tip of the plow is sharper than mine.

100_8907.jpg

brinlyplow.jpg

Hard to tell in this picture of mine but my tip is rounded more than the above pictured.

DSCN0266.jpg

Nick

David, I havent had much luck plowing either but when I had Dad helping me try my plow the first thing he had me do was sand off the rust. I guess you want a smooth shinny plow for the sod to roll off of. Beyond that you need to get it set up right.

This from the person that cant plow. :banghead:

DMESS

When I opened the topic I was GLAD to see it was about plowing! :banghead:

jerrell

david , if you point the tip of the plow down,(it looks in the pic , it is pointed level) the forward motion of the tractor will pull it in the ground, my ground is as hard as concrete and i just plowed the garden spot under, i wish i could upload pics easier the ground looks good, went down about 6 inches, wanted to go deeper, may use the big tractor and go for china,

KyBlue

Ya know David, I tilled the garden yesterday. Tilled it up Super easy dry soil and all. So I dunno David...Bring the plow up Ill give it a go! haha

MaineDad

David,

I have done a ton of plowing with my Wh's. The first thing I noticed on the picture of your plow is that you need to do some big time sanding. A rusty plow is very tough to pull. I sand mine every fall and repaint it to keep things smooth.

Secondly, I would also change the sleeve hitch setup to be like picture number 2, the yellow looking plow. Use the far left, 1st hole to pin the plow to your clevis hitch.

The clevis hitch setup is extremely important to get the depth you need and the travel clearance to turn to the next furrow. Change the chain link on the lift chain to adjust both. This can be done on the clevis hitch side of the lift chain and the lift bar side of the lift chain.

But first thing is first. Sand that thang!

BairleaFarm

I think the tip may be bent so before i try it again im going to clean it up alot. The one in picture number 2 is perfectly up and down. Mine is cocked a little to one side. Ive thought about taking the clevis hitch off all together and just putting a slot hitch in its place. dunno tho

HorseFixer

When I opened the topic I was GLAD to see it was about plowing! :banghead:

Yeah it looked Kinda like a Loaded question to me also! :USA:

Glad it was on topic :omg: I would agree with Nick and shine it

up with a Roloc Sanding disc. Try putting some weight on it!

Duke

sorekiwi

I think the tip may be bent so before i try it again im going to clean it up alot. The one in picture number 2 is perfectly up and down. Mine is cocked a little to one side.

'Scuse me?

BairleaFarm

Let me rephrase that. I think the tip of the plow is bent. that will have to be straightened and the plow will need a good derusting before I try to use it.

The hitch part in picture has the pin(if it was inserted in one of the sets of holes) going straight up and down in reference to the rest of the plow. My hitch pin is at a slight angle (make up for one side of the tractor being in the rut) compared tot he rest of the plow.