RMCIII

1st. Annual Wheel Horse Convention

Convention Questions  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 1st. ever Wheel Horse Convention?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly - need more info
  2. 2. How far would you be willing to travel to attend?

• 50 - 100 miles?
    • 100 - 150 miles?
    • 200 - 250 miles?
    • Don't care would make it no matter the distance?
  3. 3. What would be a range you would pay, for room and meals, if you were to attend?

• $75.00 - $100.00 a night?
    • $100.00 - $125.00 a night?
    • $125.00 - $150.00 a night?
    • $150.00 - $200.00 a night?
    • As long as it is not Motel 6, or the Waldorf Astoria, it really does not matter?

RMCIII

Steve -exactly what I am talking about. A real conference that provides how - to classes..... You could take it to any level you wanted, but first it has to start...... Help start it!

Rob

cheesegrader

You could hold it at my place in the U.P.

Lots of space ot mow/till/plow/grade, and plenty of barn space.

Everyone could complain equally about how far away it is!

I'm not much of an expert on fixing anything, but if you need someone to lecture on interesting ways to break stuff,

I'm your man!

• Like 5

Steve NW WI

You could hold it at my place in the U.P.

Lots of space ot mow/till/plow/grade, and plenty of barn space.

Everyone could complain equally about how far away it is!

I'm not much of an expert on fixing anything, but if you need someone to lecture on interesting ways to break stuff,

I'm your man!

Why would I complain, you're practically right next door! I'll volunteer to assist in breaking stuff training, I'm an expert in that field too...

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I have been giving this idea some thought...and I like where it is heading.  One thing is Jason has peaked my curiosity about the "project" he is talking about.   :)   Another thing is, I could talk for a couple hours about Wheel Horse transmissions and their evolution.  What would be excellent...if Racinfool40 (Mike) and I did this together.  Holy Cow!!!  Here is an idea...how about doing "live stream WIFI" of any and all of the technical seminars.  Seminars could include, transmissions, trouble shouting electrical with a multimeter, trouble shooting fuel flow (carbs, gas lines, filters, tanks, etc), how to use a spray gun (paint), welding, engines etc.  :eusa-think:

Steve NW WI...welcome to Red Square  :)  It would be great if we did this at the Dells.  Don't worry, it will not be too fancy...we are way too Blue Collar for that.  :bow-blue:

In addition(like)to your trans videos Steve...   :scratchead:     

not sure why any of this stuff couldn't be done right here? 

If I had to drive to the mid west somewhere to attend a seminar to see the internal workings of a  :wh: transmission...

I doubt I would have ever been inside one.  

Isn't this precisely the stuff RedSquare is for?    :confusion-shrug:

Just sayin...

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 6

19richie66

I guess a Florida convention would be out of the question, lol. We do have a LOT of hotel rooms and convention space. Not a lot of wheelhorses though.

• Like 2

Geno

In addition(like)to your trans videos Steve...   :scratchead:     

not sure why any of this stuff couldn't be done right here? 

If I had to drive to the mid west somewhere to attend a seminar to see the internal workings of a  :wh: transmission...

I doubt I would have ever been inside one.  

Isn't this precisely the stuff RedSquare is for?    :confusion-shrug:

Just sayin...

There is WISDOM AT ITS BEST!  :text-+1:  :text-+1:  :text-+1:  :text-+1:  :text-+1:

We need a whole new direction here and AMC has told us what it is.  RedSquare is the place for all this so everyone can benefit from it! 

• Like 1

Steve NW WI

I guess a Florida convention would be out of the question, lol. We do have a LOT of hotel rooms and convention space. Not a lot of wheelhorses though.

That might work well for us Northerners in a couple months when we're sick of winter and you've got grass to cut.

19richie66

Just go into the next room and skype. We could do a live broadcast and put it on a Jumbotron.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Members:

I get the "why" factor in any new idea.... Why change something that is already working? Change is the only thing constant in our world today. ... I wonder where this country would be if Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and several others would be, if they would have listened to the "negative comments" of their time?

Think about the future, the present, and the need to change... My world changes daily. Wait hourly. So I can understand the need to be flexible and need to change.... It does work members.. If it were something that could last for eternity then we would not be seeing the changes today in our society! I want a 1969 Pontiac Trans Am... That is not going to roll off the GM assembly line in 2014...I also want a 1979 F-250 Highboy 4x4 with a 460 and a 4 speed.... < That will never happen today.... Change is happening all around us.... We can embrace it, or fight it. But if we fight change, we miss the opportunity to help make a better future for all of those who want to see a better future! I would like to see 20,000 members in 3 years... But we can't get there if we keep things the same..... :eusa-think:  Oh yeah... Another  thought... Here it is...." The definition insanity"... Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results....... Just a final observation.... If someone said the world was flat, would listen to that advice, or seek out your own knowledge of the world? I personally want to seek out what is new... Win, lose, or draw. At least I can say I tried!

Rob

546cowboy

Wow has this taken off or what? I originally thought it would be nice to have something in South Bend but I don't know what the hotel/motel situation would be there.

Then I considered suggesting a few reagonal get-to-gethers or conventions if you will. They could be spaced out like one in Indiana, one in Iowa, one in say Dayton,OH and maybe one by St. Louis. You know spread them out so it would be easier for most to get to one.

OK I'm getting too carried away but the reagonal idea would seem better that just one. Of course that would mean groups to organize unless there were more people like Geno who have enough room without having to arrainge for space. I don't see where a one day thing would be worth while to people traveling more than a couple hundred miles though.

• Like 4

RMCIII

I like the spark of ideas! Keep it going Lynn.

Rob

RMCIII

I would love to do a tranny thingy, but I am pretty shy in front of people...I am better at heckling from the back.  :eusa-think:   but count me in...I'll figure it out.  :)

We'll just have to add some extra apple cider to your mug!

Rob

Trouty56

I think a sheet metal preparation, painting deal would be a great seminar.....

• Like 1

Racinbob

Lynn, no worries about the accommodations in the South Bend area. That is, as long as the show isn't scheduled on a weekend with a Notre Dame home game.  :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Now...

the regional idea, I like. 

Kinda sorta like the Traveling  :wh: Wilburys. 

Coming to a neighborhood near you.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Firpo701

Was a welder/machinest for over 20 years. Wouldn't mind doing a tech talk/demo on sheet metal, and frame repair, stick, mig, and tig, if this ever takes off. :-)

• Like 1

neil

As some of you already know I traveled from United Kingdom to the WHCC show this year & had one of the best experiences of my life and got to spend some quality time with Stevesaurus & others , getting this set up would be an awesome thing to happen & I for one would most certainly make the trip . My only criticism of the WHCC show was that is just wasn't long enough & was over too quick

If this thing was to get the green light I think it would need to run for a good few days so that everyone got a chance to visit & tour the seminars & I think people would be willing to travel further for the convention & kinda make it a vacation.

I also like the idea of regional conventions as it gives others the opportunity to attend .

I'm sure sturgis started in the stay way

• Like 3

RMCIII

So far, results are looking very good :woohoo: ... We are over 1/2 way to the 100 mark... We do need some more voters before the next round of poll questions can go out.

I see a WHOLE LOT of volunteers already stepping up to share their knowledge of specalty. :text-datsphatyo: I don't think we would lack for seminars on the very 1st. conference. Most conferences, this is what makes or breaks it, for the following years. Either not enough seminars, or not the right kind of seminars for the attendies. This is something that could really take off, especially if LAGC would be in attendance, and adveretising on other Forums... I know most of us are members of a few forums..... The seminars are good for all colors of garden tractors.. Welding, electrical, engines can be applied across the brands.... Some seminars would be more speific to WH, but in general, could be open to anyone.....

Rob

546cowboy

So far, results are looking very good :woohoo: ... We are over 1/2 way to the 100 mark... We do need some more voters before the next round of poll questions can go out.

I see a WHOLE LOT of volunteers already stepping up to share their knowledge of specalty. :text-datsphatyo: I don't think we would lack for seminars on the very 1st. conference. Most conferences, this is what makes or breaks it, for the following years. Either not enough seminars, or not the right kind of seminars for the attendies. This is something that could really take off, especially if LAGC would be in attendance, and adveretising on other Forums... I know most of us are members of a few forums..... The seminars are good for all colors of garden tractors.. Welding, electrical, engines can be applied across the brands.... Some seminars would be more speific to WH, but in general, could be open to anyone.....

Rob

When I made the regional suggestion, I did leave out suggestions for the east coast. Mainly because I don't live there and was only there for a week in 1965, so someone from there would have to make suggestions. Seems to me though that this is getting pushed to the point where it will get too big too fast.

The organization of a meeting like this gets complicated in a hurry. I know there are some members here who have done some of this kind of thing. I have been to Kelly's show up in Michigan and I know he spends a lot of time on that. Now see that one runs in conjunction with tractor show at a fair ground so it has all the facilities. That would seem to be the best model for these conventions or what ever you want to call them. I have been to the big sales at Portland,IN and that's at another Fair Grounds with hundreds of people and it runs from Thurs. to Saturday.

What I'm getting at here is that if you join forces with another group that already has a show or sale some of the logistics would be easier to manage. Also it would help those people with the numbers to keep their shows or sales profitable. Most of the Fair Ground stuff has general support from the city and county governments because those areas and buildings won't be sitting there idle. You can get support from the local area and help some of the non-profits ( churches, senior groups, JC's, FFA's, on and on ) at the same time. You know there are always food trucks and things that local non-profits can send along. Some counties have recycling trailers and other things that support the community. The point is not to try to make money but to support the entities involved.

If this does get going it would be best to contact people in the club here and in other clubs to get an outline of what really makes their show or swap meet or meet and greet work time after time. I haven't seen a person that does this kind of thing yet who isn't willing to help others do what they already do.

I guess I have gotten a little too worked up this morning but I guess you get the general idea. If we don't try to get in a big hurry and use resources already available it will make things easier on everyone invovled.

19richie66

Seminars could include how to set up pulling competition( trans, gearing, pulley sizes, weight distribution, etc), building/ rebuilding the different types of engines, implements, how to tractor id's, different modifications for applications, how to hide your tractor from Geno, the list could go on. I would love to come to something like this but with the distance I would have to pick and choose between this or the whcc show. I just couldnt do both. I do agree it would be great to last more than two days. Would be nice to have near a nice campground so the groups could get together and hang out around a campfire( when its cooler instead of june). Hope it works out.

• Like 1

RMCIII

Never dispise meager beginings..... Rich - who knows, if it does go well..... Maybe in time have it in Florida over the winter months... As Neil mentioned, would be a great way to also vacation.... And in the winter, who does not like a little sunshine once in a while.... Typically mid November Florida is dying out on it's convetion business so that would be a great time to look for a place to hold it... Rates would be considerably lower than peak and everyone could go and see the MOUSE! :woohoo:

RMCIII

Lynn - hammer/nail - head! Yes it could get too big, too fast, but the initial buzz is excitement over the idea, which is great..... In my line of work, I have helped organize thousands of conferences and conventions. Using local resources is a must in order for a new conference/convention to get started.... Placing it ICW < when other events are taking place does not allow the 1st.conference to see if it can stand on its own... Yes, using fair grounds, parks and Boy Scout camps, would be part of the conference, but you would want to get a true perspective of the conference itself in order to build from it.... My profession has given me 18 plus years of experience with conferences and conventions... Using what I have learned would be very valuable in getting this started right. It would need additional members to help out, it could not be done, by just 1 person. That is really what the whole idea of this conference is about. Gaining the members input and building a conference around what they would like to see/attend. Seems to me that this forum has some of the best members one could hope to find for helping out.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  < But I am getting a little ahead of the 1st. round of poll questions.....

Rob

546cowboy

I had thought of the fact that partnering with other established groups may not be the best way to do things because of some overbearing groups that want to control everything.  They tend to treat newer groups asa step-children and not see that it could benefit them in the long run.

RMCIII since you have the experience in this field, you would be able to create an outline for regional groups to follow to get things started. I have just been throwing things out there for consideration but have no experience in the field.

As far as the seminar part, I can see how that would be helpful to many of the newer members to the community. Of course as they say you're never too old to learn for us older members. I don't recall ever seeing how many members there are here on Red Square but we are loaded with smart individuals with a lot of knowlege to share. With a foum like this it should be easy for indiviguals to communicate regardless of the fact they are hundreds of miles apart.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Another regional seminar location possibility would be a volunteer fire department station/hall as many of these use it as a revenue stream. No union involvement and normally open to accommodation.

Partnering with an established group would bring the possibility of new member exposure from visitors being in attendance, plus the established organization of the partner.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You mean the world isn't flat????  I don't know about that...it's pretty flat here in Illinois.  :bow-blue:   :)

• Like 3