buckrancher

RS83 SENIOR RESURRECTION or help I'm having a senior moment

AMC RULES

Hey, a least it's for a good cause.    :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Congrats Brian. This week be a fun one to watch for sure!

Via Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

rmaynard

If I did that it would require a home equity loan to buy the metal :shock::jaw::scared-yipes:

Brian

No problem. Just find an old Delorean...

• Like 2

Geno

I can't wait to see the resto of this one!    :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

neil

Brian, working with fibre glass resin isn't too difficult & just takes a little practice getting the right amount of catalyst for the setting times.

The good thing about working with resin is if you get it wrong you can just either cut it back or just sand it back.

Will you be creating a new mould for the hood or will you repair the original?

• Like 1

Jparkes43

wait the rj's and sr's are fibre glass thats awesome i didn't know that technology was invented that long ago

james

• Like 1

buckrancher

wait the rj's and sr's are fibre glass thats awesome i didn't know that technology was invented that long ago

james

only the first few RJ's James then they went to metal all seniors were fiberglass

Brian, working with fibre glass resin isn't too difficult & just takes a little practice getting the right amount of catalyst for the setting times.

The good thing about working with resin is if you get it wrong you can just either cut it back or just sand it back.

Will you be creating a new mould for the hood or will you repair the original?

I don't know yet Neil like I said it's going to be a learning experence for me

• Like 1

stevebo

No pressure now Brian... You raised the bar on your prior projects....

• Like 2

buckrancher

I entered the serial number at the wisconsin engine site and found that the AEN motor was made in January 1955 so with that I would assume the tractor is a 1955 senior unless someone knows of a better way to date these

Brian

• Like 2

stevebo

Does it have flex brake cables or hard rods?

• Like 1

buckrancher

Does it have flex brake cables or hard rods?

it has the hard rods

• Like 1

stevebo

Then is it  NOT a 1956 so I would think a very late 54 but most likely a 55. In 56' they used the brake cables. Mine is a 56' 

• Like 1

boovuc

Hi Brian,

If you know a good bodyman, he can set you up. Though most ground effects on cars today are plastics and other polymers, older bodymen made a lot of saves to early air damns on cars and of course, if you know a GM guy like my father was, he would have worked on Corvettes. (Though my father hated working on them. He was allergic to the resin fibers)!

• Like 1

buckrancher

And so it begins....................

post-591-0-70784900-1415052697_thumb.jpg

I decided to start with the steering as it is very hard to turn the steering wheel and standing in front of the tractor the left front wheel leans out at the top

having never spent much time around a senior I was not sure what was missing on top of the steering wheel but a quick pm to my friend Bob (horsefixer) and I had

a picture of the top of his senior's steering wheel

It took about a week to remove the steering wheel from the shaft so I could get the hood off then I removed the steering column and steering box

first thing I noticed was the soft plug in the bottom of the steering box blown out and very rusty also the side cover was cracked

post-591-0-33456100-1415053984_thumb.jpg

It seems someone broke the threads off the steering shaft for the acorn nut that holds the steering wheel on and this let water run down the center of the shaft and in to the steering box

the bottom of the box and end of the steering shaft was badly rusted too

you can see all the rust pitting

post-591-0-62164500-1415054361_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-84964200-1415054419_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-80194200-1415054496_thumb.jpg

this is the upper end where the steering wheel goes

post-591-0-85383700-1415054708_thumb.jpg

This is whats left of the upper steering column bearing and how badly the column is rusted

post-591-0-23946900-1415054870_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-99547200-1415054922_thumb.jpg

this is the end of the column that clamps to the steering box

post-591-0-31973300-1415054995_thumb.jpg

Brian :icecream:

• Like 3

Martin

i can see you are going to have some hours in this one. its going to take a bunch of them just to get things like you show above to operate how they should, then you have to make it look pretty as well...

I'm sure you can do it though, I'm always amazed at your fabrication knowledge and skill......

thanks for all the detail....

i notice after your name you have..... :icecream:

are you sitting back right now with a cold one thinking about something?

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

fireman

Brain,

Don't even mess with that steering assembly. I have one in better shape you can have. 

Jeff

• Like 3

buckrancher

Hey Martin I have done alot of sitting back and thinking about this one and countless hours on the internet searching for information in the last two months

some of the things I have found out is Ross makes the steering box on the seniors The same box is used on 1949 mighty mite tractors,ottawa tractors and possibly some crosleys you have about the

same chance of finding one of these being parted out as a wheel horse senior

what I did find is parts from different sources

WW2 Willys jeep uses a Ross box different style but a few parts are the same also an Allis Chalmers B tractor both of these use a 1.5 dia. steering column tube the willys steering box output shaft uses the same bushings and seals as the senior and the upper steering column bearing is the same style as the senior but needs too be bushed from 7/8" to 3/4" for the smaller dia. steering shaft in a senior. the allis steering shaft is the same dia. as a senior but is longer and uses the wrong hand pitch in the steering box but the end where the steering wheel goes is the same as a senior. the allis steering box side cover is the same as a senior I have not found a replacement for the senior output shaft yet as the allis is a single pin but larger dia.and the willys is a double pin

also the ball bearings ( 5/16" dia) and races are the same in the allis as the senior

steering wheel is made by Sheller 15" dia. three spoke with 3/4" tapered shaft with 3/16" key way

Brian

Brain,

Don't even mess with that steering assembly. I have one in better shape you can have. 

Jeff

thanks Jeff

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 2

neil

Brian, can you get replacement steering wheels , as I could do with one for my tractor.?

• Like 1

VinsRJ

What a great score Brian!

As for working with fibergalss... there is this idiot I know who made one from scratch for an RJ. I beleive he even has another one in the works... :eusa-think:

• Like 4

fireman

Brian,

If you find the thread I made about the work I did on my Senior (now Neils), you will see that I found a replacement steering wheel, which Neil would have if Martino didn't swap it out for his :angry-screaming:  :disgust:  :angry-fire:  :rant2:  :angry-cussing:  :orcs-censored:  :violence-fencing:  :angry-tappingfoot: . I was also able to rebuild the steering taking out all of the play. I found a donor steering column with the only difference being the length of the outer tube. I also spent months looking for steering parts. I even contacted a place in California that specializes in the Willys and parts for that specific Ross box are just not out there. When you get here I can go over with you using the one I have what I did to restore mine. I will also give you the info on where to get the replacement steering wheel.

Jeff

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Brian, when you talked about fiber glass, and I have done a bunch of it on my old cars, I remembered seeing shows on TV about fixing fiber glass on boats.  Check out this link...I think you will find everything you need here.  This is going to one of those fantastic threads Mate.  :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+fix+fiberglass+on+boats.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

• Like 1

buckrancher

Brian, when you talked about fiber glass, and I have done a bunch of it on my old cars, I remembered seeing shows on TV about fixing fiber glass on boats.  Check out this link...I think you will find everything you need here.  This is going to one of those fantastic threads Mate.  :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+fix+fiberglass+on+boats.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

thanks Steve I have looked at some of the repair videos The ones I've seen they are repairing holes in fiberglass or cracks which all seems straight forward to me what I'm looking for is one that involves replacing a hole chunk as I need to replace the hole corner of one side of the hood I'm sure I will need to build a mold of some kind to form the shape

Brian

What a great score Brian!

As for working with fibergalss... there is this idiot I know who made one from scratch for an RJ. I beleive he even has another one in the works... :eusa-think:

to bad we live so far from each other

Brian

• Like 1

buckrancher

Brian, can you get replacement steering wheels , as I could do with one for my tractor.?

Neil I found a perfect match but it requires some machine work it's also the same brand (sheller)

Brian

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Booked my seat here to follow this Thread Brian. Like many others, I'm looking forward to it :handgestures-thumbup: .  

• Like 2