David Upton

C-160 Auto Need some Advice

David Upton

Greetings: A local guy here in southern Indiana who is in the small engine repair business in our small town has offered me (after many requests on my part) his 1976 C-160 with hydraulic front blade. Koehler engine he claims uses no oil. This very nice conditioned also comes with a 48 inch mowing deck and wheel chains. He only uses it for snow plowing and I trust him explicitly. Will deliver it to me within a few miles for $1500.00. Any thoughts or advice on this purchase. I already have a 1976 C-120 manual which I use extensively here on our small horse farm. Thank you in advance for any comments. David

rmaynard

Sounds like a nice tractor. The older I get, the more I wish I had a hydro lift for my snow blade. The 16 horse should have enough power for the 48" deck. I'd be inclined to offer less than $1500.00, but that's just the way I am. I turned down a 314-8 that the owner was asking $950.00. It ran good, had a nice deck and a snow plow. He is still sitting on it at $950.00.

Sparky

Without pics its hard to put a value on it but............$1500 seems way to high unless its was a fresh minty mint restored machine with receipts.

The plow is a $200 item, the deck maybe $300, so is the tractor alone worth $1000. Not in my opinion.

I'll toss out a $$ without pics........$800 max.

Mike.........

• Like 3

squonk

I was going to say $6-800. Indiana is a WH hot bed so price is down some. If it was Florida $1000-1200

KC9KAS

I have about $200 in this 1976 C-160

20140624_174011_zpsmqugnhas.jpg

20140624_174025_zpsg2iqprle.jpg

dtallon

I really like my C-160 Auto but don't think I would pay $1500 for it.  Mine needed work when I got it, and I have relied pretty heavily on a C-120 parts tractor to replace worn out parts.  After doing some work on it, between the two tractors I am at about $800 for a good running C-160 w/ a nice 48" deck and a snow plow.  I do probably have at least $150 in leftover parts, but there are some things that still need work too.  There is a package deal similar to what you are describing (original owner no less) on craigslist south of me for $1200, and it's been on there for 3 weeks.  

If the one you are looking at is in nice condition, with little wear, you are sure the engine and hydro run well, and the hyd lift and hoses are in good condition, I could be convinced of $1000 as a decent price.

Dave

Forest Road

Hydros are sweet. Unless is been completely restored $1500 is off the charts.

Tim

It does sound high

But how bad do you want it and how bad does it hurt your wallet

If I want something bad enough I am willing to over pay but how much depends on what it is and are there more readily available

I don't see a lot of c-160 autos

546cowboy

Squonk I don't know where you get that 'Hot Bed' from in Indiana. Most of the Wheel Horses I've got I had to drive to Michigan, Illinois or southern Indiana. A lot of 400 mile round trips just to get stuff that needs many repairs :roll::snooty:  and are priced much higher than I see on the east coast.  :eusa-think:  The "Hot Bed" is the whole east coast from what I've seen and especially PA and N.Y.

The last C-160 I got was a basket case and part of a trade I made. That was the second one I had that was a basket case and luckily I always had a C-120 for parts to bring them back to life. They are really nice to operate though and not too and to sell when they are refurbished. Most of the time though by the time I get one, either the engine has either been changed to a 14 hp. or it's just worn out. Kohler K-341's are hard to come by around here without spending more than you would ever get out of the tractor.

Edited by 546cowboy

fourwheels0

unless it has a loader with it $1500 is WAY too high.

i just got a 1976 c-160 auto with 2 48 inch decks for $500.