wrightorchid

looking at a 520-H, any issues?

wrightorchid

I will be looking at a 520 H today, and know nothing about them, as I have a 312-8.  The price seems great, but needs a new starter, told that it does work sometimes (might be a solenoid issue?).  It has about 600 hours on it.  Is there anything I should look for, inspect, etc?  I don't really need another project, but It might be worth getting.

Geno

I wouldn't even talk to them unless I heard it run or it was extremely cheap.  Those have a history of engine problems.  I just bought one with less than 500hrs that has internal engine problems.  :)

wrightorchid

$400 is what they are asking. not sure what size deck it has.  Yes, I do want to hear it run.

zieg72

Starter problem could be the 9 pin connector, easy fix.  Great tractors if you aren't scared of a little challenge.  I've had dozens over the years.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Great price for a beast of a machine. I'd be all over it for that price.

zieg72

Great price for a beast of a machine. I'd be all over it for that price.

Me too, prices like that is what has supported my hobby.  I will buy one with problems, fix everything on it, use it for a season or 2 to prove it out then sell a trouble free tractor to the next guy.  Do this a couple dozen times and you will get lost on the simple ones.  Everyone has their favorites, the 520's are mine...

• Like 1

Geno

Do you know if it has the swept front axle?  

wrightorchid

It is listed as a 1991, but I don't know what the serial number is.  Is there a simple way to tell?

zieg72

It is listed as a 1991, but I don't know what the serial number is.  Is there a simple way to tell?

Under the seat is the sticker.  If it is a 1991 the last 2 digits will be 02.  If a front hubcap is off look for a car type wheel bearing cap like pictured.  If it does it will have a forward swept axle.  Pictured is my 1992

post-96-0-75409900-1413482984.jpg

wrightorchid

I don't have a way to post pics that were sent to me.  Does the 1991 have the gear reduction, or was this an option?

motox25

A 1991 520H does have the gear reduction steering and swept front axel to accommodate the large 60" deck. obviously if it isn't running there is no idea to see what state the engine is in and like Geno said it can turn into a lot of expensive fixes fast. That said the 520H is my favorite as well. I'd easily pay $200 for a non-running 520H and $300 only if the deck and tractor were in good condition.

wrightorchid

THANKS for all of the input.  I have a 312-8 that I think has an exhaust valve issue that I have not yet tackled.  I don't want a money pit for sure.  It also seems like there are lots more electrical problem they can get.  It may need a couple tire, which I know can be pricey.

bobert94

for that kind of money u could part it out if all else fails and probably still come out ahead! go for it

wrightorchid

Geno

I'd say the deck will bring 350 and the steering set up another 350 if all is good and solid.  There's still lots of other parts there, good buy.

Edited by Geno

zieg72

That is not a 1991 and it does not have a forward swept axle.  The hydro stick between the legs makes it a 1988-89.

• Like 2

wrightorchid

That is good to know.  looks like the newer ones are a bit better.  maybe I'll stick with my 312.  If it had a loader, I would get it for certain.

Edited by wrightorchid

zieg72

That is good to know.  looks like the newer ones are a bit better.  maybe I'll stick with my 312.  If it had a loader, I would get it for certain.

If you are looking for a 520H make sure it has the forward swept axle and gear reduction steering.  Even if the Onan is bad and it has a wiring nightmare you can re-power it and have the best tractor imaginable.  I put a 16 horse on one, simplified the wiring and it was a great tractor, wish I didn't sell that one.

post-96-0-63637200-1413491219_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-61059000-1413491245_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-62244800-1413491275_thumb.jpg

Geno

That is not a 1991 and it does not have a forward swept axle.  The hydro stick between the legs makes it a 1988-89.

Good catch.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

varosd

I do not prefer the gear reduction steering, just my opinion. unless I had a FEL or 2 stage blower.

Swept axle is really just for the 60inch deck, if you are not using one, it really just looks meaner with that wide stance.

not many Wheel Horses down in your neck of the woods, so consider all the options.

with that low of hours (if the hour meter is really working) good compression on both cylinders, etc..it could be just a simple Molex 9 pin issue or something,

I love my 1989 520.  at idle it sounds like a Harley and best of all, no Toro stickers on it.  just saying..if it was up here, it would be gone

maybe its just me or the pictures but does it looks like the front wheels are a tad small or the rears are big? :eusa-think:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Plus the wider stance takes up more space...

why do you need it, if you don't need it.     :confusion-shrug:

cheesegrader

"91 or newer will have the swept axle and gear reduction steering.

Easily worth $400 for parts, even if the engine is bad.

Wiring is a pain to fix, but most of the problems are from overheating at the fuse block and the 9-pin connector.

TIme consuming to track down and fix, but not expensive.

The expensive issue is failure of the rear cylinder valve seat.

compression should be 120 for both cylinders.  I'd expect expensive engine issues if that is not the case,

but if compression checks out, I would buy that beast for $400 all day long!

Great, powerful and reliable tractors when maintained.  I have three.  Love them!

wrightorchid

Is there a simple way to check the compression?  

shallowwatersailor

HF has two compression testers. Get the one that screws in. The Onan manual says: 75-115 psi is acceptable.

• Like 1

N3PUY

I bought a 520-HC a few years ago for $100 sight unseen and not running.   Fixed the ignition problem (coil) and other little things and sold it for $800.  If yours isn't repairable I see parts worth $400+.  Remember ... "It takes money to make money".  Buy, sell and buy again .... you'll end up with tractors that someone else paid for!  :)

• Like 2