fredwook

Children driving Wheel Horse question

fredwook

Hello, I have just finished my first garden tractor re-build/restore (Raider 12, pics coming

soon) and i have a question for those of you with youngsters. I have seen many videos

of kids riding/driving tractors and am wondering how people have tackled the clutch/brake

for the little kids. There are some that are no doubt just sitting and steering while the parent

jumps in to take the tractor out of gear but i am wondering if anyone has modified a tractor

for shorter, younger kids by modifying the clutch or should the answer be to wait till he is

older and bigger. My boy is 7 and is completely capable (will always have me right there)

of steering and controlling but is an obvious "no go" due to the clutch/break.

Any opinions welcomed.

Fred

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hello Fred. I never did any mods. But my sons are 12 and 13. Big enough to reach the clutch. Etc. When they were younger I didn't have a wheel horse. Others will chime in.

Ps....don't forget the pics.

Glenn

Racinbob

I was driving them around when I was five but then again we rode bikes without helmets, cars didn't have seat belts and our tractors didn't have a gazillion safety switches back then. For my girls I made extensions that clamped on using bolts as set screws so they were easy on/off.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Having experienced personally what can happen when a horse rares up and gets away from you, I will not let my grandkids drive any of my tractors without me being at arms length, tractor in 1st gear, and trottled back to idle. I know there will be those who disagree with this as I have seen many youngsters at the Wheel Horse show driving everything from Lawn Rangers to D250's. But as we all know, accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. Whatever you decide to do, exercize common sense.

• Like 3

WH nut

I had my boy cutting grass at 4. But he drove a hydro.

• Like 1

squonk

I agree with Bob and we had WAY TOO MANY kids at the show driving tractors that were WAY TOO BIG for them with no parents around. And they wern't driving them at idle either!  :disgust: 

• Like 3

Racinbob

Even though I and my kids were driving tractors at a young age I have to agree with Bob and Mike. I knew what my girls could handle but still, it was a 'controlled' situation and we never had a mishap. I could only watch the videos from the big show but some of what I saw concerned me. I even mentioned it to my wife when I showed her the videos. Fortunately I don't think there's been a mishap at the show but there were a few things in the videos that seemed like they were daring it to happen. There's been talk about taking steps to assure safety and I'm thinking that would be a good thing but I just don't know what the answer could be. I don't want to see the young ones told they just can't drive because they are too little. A bit like another thread recently started here about things we'll never see again. Know what I'm awkwardly trying to say?

AMC RULES

Zip tie some blocks to the clutch and brake pedals.   :auto-swerve:

Agage1

I have a 4 and 9 year old both have tractors and drive em. The older one has a hydro and is very cautious. Never had any problems. My younger son is fearless so I'm always there when he drives around. He drives an 854. At first I put it in first gear at idle. But he's pretty mechanical and was soon jamming into higher gears without the clutch. I made him a hand clutch this summer with a helper spring. He drives it very well under very close supervision of course

oldblue1993

My son was 8 when I got him,his first horse "raider 12 also" I wont let him mow with it took the deck right off. I did make some adjustments, Throttle stop, larger steering wheel and and a better seat so he could reach things and, I was able to move it out further. He drives fine, matter of fact after a year he tells me "hang on dad I got this". My daghter has the same set-up on her b-60 she is ten. 

The rules are laid out, no one touches them till I am home and out and what I say goes.

ericj

i started all of my kids out on my C120 long stick hydro. they didn't have to reach the pedals and like said above i was all ways there till i was sure they could handle the tractor. i didn't let them mow for quite a while either

eric j

slammer302

My son is 10 and he has a lawn ranger he does ok with it I had a piece of 2×2 on the the brake pedal but he can reach it now

Tankman

My young grandsons drive, 1st gear, walking speed. Never with a deck engaged.

I am always very close, often walking as fast or faster then the Horse is movin'.

The teens mow and move snow, tow wagons of firewood or friends, ride 'em cowboys!

The little guys keep the Horses groomed and fed........weekend chores!  :laughing-rofl:

Ken B

I agree with Bob and we had WAY TOO MANY kids at the show driving tractors that were WAY TOO BIG for them with no parents around. And they wern't driving them at idle either!  :disgust: 

I can think of an instance or two where there was an adult driving a tractor that was too big for them as well...

Dieselcowboy

I have twin 4 year old boys, I do let them drive the old c series hydros by themselves with me right with them of course, I also have a rj35 that they can drive by themselves as well. Keep in mind also that after they watch you a few times they will know just what to do. Mine can start them without me around, so be mindful of that as well. 

Austin860

I know a member on here named bud made some sort of modification so his grandson could reach the pedals, or at least I think he did haha. Maybe he'll chime in

fredwook

Thanks for the responses fellas! Just wanted to make sure i wasn't outside the norm

in wanting to let the boy ride.

Fred

ronhatch

I have a nice 857 without a mower deck that I modified by hooking up the mower lift handle so that it became a clutch lever much like an old JD. I only let 2 out of my 11 grandkids drive it because they were the only ones that I trusted. They both started driving when they were 4.

Edited by ronhatch

specialwheelhorse

Read your wheel horse Manuel's

One of the first things mentioned

For saftey is to put it in my words

Do not let children operate something

That is not ment to be a toy.

I'm here to say its only a matter of

Time till someone's dear children are

Hurt quite badly.

I know how fast this can happen

Been there done that '!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Desko

When I was younger my dad would let me mow with the D160 he would mow over the hill and hill side cut out a square in the yard (large enough for me to have seat time) he was always close by and he never ever let me drive the GT-1142 unless he was on the seat as its is an 8 speed but was mowing lawn by myself at 11-12 as he gave me a little work horse LT1637 as it was a very small tractor but then got rid of it put a new motor in the GT1142 (Brother blew the original up) and mowed with it along with the D160 and I'm 16 now and use every thing from the farm tractors (used those by my self by 12 but I was responsible) to his vehicles (cant drive just wash them)and garden tractors.