bmsgaffer

C-205HD Project

bmsgaffer

Just started mocking this up tonight. This hood is very straight and rust free, unfortunately has a horrible primer job on it that will need to be removed. The stickers were taped off before primer thus the C-125 sticker showing through.

post-6955-0-94031000-1412744377_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-82628800-1412744424_thumb.jp

The hood will be set just a bit more forward (2-3 inches i think) once I get the C series brackets bolted on and aligned. Should put that onan nice and centered in the opening.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 3

Desko

Looks cool already :)

AMC RULES

Kool :wh: Kustom.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Desko

Will the dash tower be switched to a black hood stand or modified to fit the 520's

Aldon

Now this I Like! Want to see the final outcome. I just can't find it in me to accept the hoods on the later series.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Will the dash tower be switched to a black hood stand or modified to fit the 520's

I will be pulling the dash tower from the C.

I have lots of grand ideas and plans but I don't have the metalwork shop, space or experience to do heavy modifications (but I would sure like to!)

stratostar250

I like what is happening here! I'm subscribing and can't wait to see what happens!  :popcorn:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by stratostar250

PeacemakerJack

This is gonna be a simple yet cool modification. I can't wait to see the finished product!!! Are you going to have custom decals made up for it too?

Bert

I like your plan, can't wait to see the final result  :)

bmsgaffer

Thanks everyone!

This is gonna be a simple yet cool modification. I can't wait to see the finished product!!! Are you going to have custom decals made up for it too?

I definitely will. It will probably be next year before this will see some paint. I am going to try it out over the winter and see how it works.

Hoping to have some progress pics in the next week or so! Its been busy at home lately.

bmsgaffer

I started digging into this tonight. Taking a 520 apart is harder than I expected... All the control levers and wiring. Too many roll pins.

It was in a little worse shape than I expected. Lots of rust, but just in some spots. Then there was this:

post-6955-0-22886500-1414464801_thumb.jp post-6955-0-76131900-1414464819_thumb.jp 

post-6955-0-50549300-1414464837_thumb.jp

The last two holes on the tunnel are torn out of the steel! The transmission mounting plate has a reinforcement plate on it, but all 520's got that didn't they? The transmission side looks fine with no bends or cracks visible. What in the world could have torn out those holes without someone just abusing it?

Some more pics from the rest of the tear down:

post-6955-0-43034900-1414464857_thumb.jppost-6955-0-34521300-1414464879_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-51756700-1414464898_thumb.jppost-6955-0-80302300-1414464916_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-69726100-1414464936_thumb.jppost-6955-0-76748800-1414465054_thumb.jp

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

stratostar250

My 310-8 has the same exact issue with that gas tank bolt spot. One side broken and missing the corner, and the other is cracked, I have no idea what really could cause it, it doesn't really make a big problem, rear fender pan is a little wobbly, but other than that, it's fine!

Catmanii

A little wire feed welder will take care of the tore places right quick. The rest just looks like neglect from sitting outside and not being cleaned after use. Not to bad.  :helmet:  

Martin

its more common for a lot of models with that setup to be torn, cracked or damaged like that. its one of the first places they go. caused by constant getting on and off the tractor and moving around on the seat, it is a weak point. i am usually more surprised if they are good in that area, almost a reason to throw a party if you don't need to fix them......

one thing to watch out for if you go reinforcing that area is to make sure all the panels that are next to that area, belt guard, side panel, covers etc fit with any extra steel you put in there. i usually just cut the damaged area out and make a new end and weld it in, grind the welds smooth and when its painted, you would never know.......

stevebo

I have come across this issue on several machines. Easy welding fix. 

bmsgaffer

I have come across this issue on several machines. Easy welding fix. 

If you had a welder... :banghead:

I have some experience welding but I have yet to pick up a welder. Seems the decent ones you cant find very cheap.

For those that wire weld: I know that welding with gas is the best, but is it even worth it to use a welder without gas? Seems like those setups that have it all are really expensive and I was under the impression that I shouldn't even bother if I don't have the gas for it.

If I could go without it I would get one because Its much easier to store in my limited amount of space.

Martin

All of my earlier builds we're done without gas. If you make sure everything is really clean that you are welding on, you will get half decent welds. They are not as nice as with gas, but with some tidy up after wards with a grinder the weld area will look good. I have a little 110 volt Lincoln, I don't use it very much now, as I mostly take stuff into work and use the nice gas shielded one, but when I need to do something in a pinch, I can still lay down some decent looking welds with it

Pullstart

if you have torches, some careful work with a coat hanger as filler rod and you could braze it! 

bmsgaffer

if you have torches, some careful work with a coat hanger as filler rod and you could braze it! 

I dont have big enough torch for that :)

I think I may pick up a smaller MIG on CL just do do some around the house stuff. If Martin had done some restores without gas then I know an acceptable quality can be had. :) Then I will move up to a small bottle when I can.

19richie66

If you get a bottle, save up. I started with a small one, moved up to a 40 and now have an 80. Youll start welding everything you can get your hands on. Small bottle will disappear quicly. I had flux core at the beginning but when I got the gas setup, night and day difference. Sold my stick welder. Love my mig. I have the hobart handler 175 230 volt. Pawn shops are a good place to look also. Good luck.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Toy Tool:

post-6955-0-31488300-1414645993_thumb.jppost-6955-0-43718400-1414646089_thumb.jp

I am going to start with flux core, but i have a guy here where i can get a full 40cu for $150 if i decided I needed it. ( i really WANT it because I know it will make cleaner welds, but then I would need a cart and it just becomes a whole production that is harder to store)

I have plenty of 220 available but I thought that I probably wont be doing that much thick stuff and this would allow me to take it to someone else's house and do some welding pretty easily.

• Like 2

19richie66

I made my welding cart out of an old hand truck and my plasma cutter cart out of an old mobility cart someone was throwing away. Little bit of scrap steel and a couple hours later i was mobile. Ill try and get some pictures if interested.

Martin

we have one of those at work as well, just for fixing the smaller stuff that we don't want to have to drag one of the bigger gas ones to. it does a good job and you can weld some decent size (3/16 to 1/4) stuff with it on the high setting. the hobart handler 140 is also bigger than the lincoln i have at home. that should be perfect for working on the horses....... :thumbs:

Edited by Martin

bmsgaffer

First attempts, I don't think they are too bad. Getting used to setting up feed and heat on some scrap thicker stuff. Next I will try some thinner metal.

The flux core is a little wild (hot and splattery) compared to what I saw with the MIG so I just may make up a small cart and get some gas. 

post-6955-0-14506000-1414729170_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-84486400-1414729190_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-36957400-1414729213_thumb.jp

slammer302

That should get you going I'm still using a little HF flux core welder works well for patching up sheet metal decks and hoods I can't wait till I can move up to something better but for 80$ I can't complain