Akestner

416-8 wiring harness

Akestner

I am in need of a wiring harness for a 416-8 as the previous owner butchered the original one to the point of no return of anyone has one please let me know how much they want for it I would greatly appreciate it

Don1977

Try this looks like you have a onan.

Akestner

Sorry the 416 I have is Kolher powered single cylinder

nappypappy

I been watching ebay but just missed one a couple of weeks back....I wonder do you have any pictures of the wiring since I am working on my 85 416-8?

Thanks

Akestner

I don't that's what's making the one I have so bad the po butchered it so bad I can't do anything with it

Geno

With time and patience anything can be fixed.  :popcorn: 

nappypappy

I am my worst enemy when it comes to wiring....its so simple I cant figger it out....I did get it running but I know its not right so I start over...

Akestner

The good thing is that the mower was given to my father in law and I'm trying to help him with it so I can really only do what he wants to do with it the fuse blocks are melted and the pto switch and seat switch have been bypassed if I had a wiring diagram it would help we're not 100 percent sure the motor runs so we really don't want to put to much into it but it is a 16 horse single cylinder Kolher so were sure it's ok

Geno

This is one I started on today that caught on fire.  A Ford made in Belgium.  You haven't lived until you've rewired one of those inbred things, especially after the customer already tore everything apart and "tried" to fix it.   I've go a manual for it but I hate the European track wiring diagrams.   

post-13404-0-85147300-1412029408_thumb.j

post-13404-0-00765700-1412029422_thumb.j

post-13404-0-79439000-1412029434_thumb.j

post-13404-0-30401500-1412029460_thumb.j

Akestner

Wow what we have isn't anywhere near that bad

nappypappy

I should just bring mine to you but I need to learn to fix it right....looks like you fixing a nightmare....not as bad as mine for sure, mine just looks

like the three stooges got a hold of it....yuk yuk a wiring we will go.

Geno

You know I'll help you however I can.  :)

Akestner

If you would happen to have pictures or possibly a color coded diagram that would be great I really appreciate it Geno

Geno

I have a few tractors but I don't have a 416, sorry.  Surely somebody around here does.  :)

nappypappy

well that's about the only model you don't have from what I saw.....

Geno

Pretty much.  :laughing-rolling:    I'm not a big Onan fan either.  :hide:  

nappypappy

yeah well if you can wire that nightmare you could wire anything...

km3h

You aren't giving us enough information to help you. Have you checked to see if you are getting spark? Have you checked to see if you are getting fuel to the carburetor?  

If your engine has points and coil getting it running is simple. Sounds like it hasn't run in a while. First thing to do is check the points. Make sure they are clean and gapped at .20. You have described the problem other than it won't start. If the motor turns over, when you turn the switch to start.

Do you have fuel at the carburetor? Most of these tractors have a petcock on the rear of the gas tan k. Check to make sure it is open.  Remove the fuel line from the top of the fuel pump and turn the engine over. Is fuel being pumped out? Do look directly into the outlet because fuel should spurt out two to six feet and burns the heck out of your eyes.

Measure the voltage at the plus side of the coil with the key set to run or on. You do this by using a meter or test light from the negative side of the battery to the positive side of the coil. If you don't have 12 volts then take a jumper wire and run it from the positive side of the battery to the plus side of the coil and try to start it. If it doesn't start, squirt a small amount of gas directly into the carburetor. Don't lean over the carburetor throat while attempting to start it. You don't know if it might backfire in your face.

I hope you don't think I am trying to talk down to you but I have no idea of your expertise with engines and I don't want to be responsible for your hurting yourself.

We are here to help. If you do as suggested and get back to us we will be here till you get the problem solved. Fixing these problems is a one step at a time process. You only need three things for an engine to run. Fuel, air and spark.   

Geno

I hope that customer is paying you a lot of money. That is one big mess.

Geno

I don't think Ake has enough wires together to check anything Nick.  :laughing-rolling:  

I get good money for electrical like on that Ford, no one else will touch stuff like that, it's up in the thousands.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Akestner

Ok I guess I should have specified I personally haven't spent anytime on it it's my father in laws he had a guy that works on mowers that admitted electrical wasn't his strong suit it has a new plug fuel line filter and new points and everything is gapped correctly it's also getting fuel it barely turns over it is getting spark too the guy that looked at it said he should get a new harness I haven't looked at the damage myself to try and piece it together my father in law tends to get one thing in his mind and once you do it's hard to get him to do anything else

km3h

If it barely turns over, make the battery is fully charged. Next check the ground wire. It must make good contact. The positive side of the battery should go directly to the solenoid. The other side of the solenoid should go directly to the starter. At this point, you are describing what sounds like a dirty connection or a bad starter. Run a jumper cable from the positive side of the battery directly to the positive lug of the starter. See if that turns the engine over fast enough to start and then get back on here. 

I don't think Ake has enough wires together to check anything Nick.  :laughing-rolling:  

I get good money for electrical like on that Ford, no one else will touch stuff like that, it's up in the thousands.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

One thing for sure Geno, you are going to earn every dollar.

Akestner

Ok I will do that I'll post back when I get a chance to mess with it

nappypappy

if you can take pictures of the wiring...

nappypappy

after looking at albums I see that Tankman has a 416-8 maybe he would take some wiring photos?

nappypappy

well after much starting and stopping I am thinking of just getting a harness and be done with that job anyway.

I see toro has one and not cheap but for me that maybe the only way.