meadowfield

Magnum 16

meadowfield

Hi all,

Those of you following my 4x4 project will have noticed the power plant is a magnum that I bought blind from a Toro reel mower.

I haven't had it running yet, nor have I any experience with the magnums so have a few questions...

1. There's no fuel pump, just a blanking plate. Can they be retro fitted?

2. There's a regulator on the side, assume wire out is the bat+ wire?

3. assume the other wire is a kill wire as magnums are electronic and have no coil?

I'm gonna take the plunge and try starting it as soon as I get chance....

Cheers

Fordiesel69

On the reg you have a stator + and -, and just one output to charge the batt.  To kill you need to find the coil wire and ground it.

Yes the blank can be removed and 9 out of 10 times the cam will be ground with a flat to operate a fuel pump. 

meadowfield

Awesome, thanks!

Next question....

Anyone have a clear front on pic from a 316/416 of the choke and throttle linkages? Preferably with hood removed.

I going to have to fab new linkages and route the cables.

Mark

Don1977

My guess is that all Magnums the throttle and choke connections are the same. Here is the connections on a 12 Magnum. Can't say this is how it came from the factory it's like it was when I got it.

SAM_0430.jpg

SAM_0432.jpg

3Six

Great engines

Edited by 3Six

meadowfield

So I got the engine running, and then today it wouldn't run...

Unscrewed the plug and found this :(

IMG_20141003_132449_zpsszsbo4ih.jpg

Looking into the head it is so coked up, I've never seen anything like it! If I pull the head, will the gasket survive? I think it's going to need a good clean.

Anyway cleaned the plug, poured fuel in the bore and it fired and died. Still wouldn't run :(

Pulled the carb and stripped it, it's now spotless :)

IMG_20141003_145303_zps1c4jgdio.jpg

it was pretty clean inside, but for a bit of water. I've put it back together with the kohler settings. 2-1/2 turns each for the idle and main jet. It starts and ticks over fine but seems pretty lean and misses at high revs, is there a manual around for the Walbro carbs?

Thanks

Edited by meadowfield

Fordiesel69

Decarbon it NOW.

The ridge on eht cylinder will begin to cut the piston and expose the upper ring. 

Counter clockwise richens the mixture.  Try richening the main needle until it runs the way you want.

View some youtube videos on how to adjust a carb by sound.  It is very easy.  You richen unti it runs too rich, lean it until it runs to lean and pick the middle. Then make tiny adjustments to get it perfect.

meadowfield

Thanks for that, can I get away with reusing the head gasket until my new one arrives?

I have feeling this engine gas a lot of hours on.... It smokes a bit and I think the oil rings are shot, there's a lot of oil leaking out of the bottom end. I'll pull the dipstick and see if there's anything blowing out.

Fordiesel69

HG can be reused if metal.  If the soft graphite no.

Rering & repiston is it is bad.  Oil burning will turn into burned up engine even for the OCD oil checking crowd.

meadowfield

Thanks again, guessing I can only tell whether it is metal by lifting the head?

Desko

It should have a metal head gasket but I've never had a magnum just a k181 in a cub cadet 71 and it has never been touched scene 1962 and I pulled the head and the gasket was like brand new.

meadowfield

So I pulled the head, that's a whole new story...

I cleaned things up and put the head back with the original gasket for now until I rebuild. I re torqued to 30ft lbs and followed the sequence.

Engine fired after so few spins, but doesn't run. If I persevere it might fire but just isn't happy. Carb and fuel are clean, so I'm wondering if the head might be leaking?? It is a metal gasket and has no apparent marks or issues?