Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Exhaust Stack

MaineDad

Guys,

If I replaced the OEM muffler on my C-160 with an Exhaust Stack with rain cap, what will be the difference? Will it be louder? Will it have more power?

Thanks,

ol550

Noise would depend on the muffler you use. I use a Gravely muffler to make the bend and they are fairly quiet. As for performance you will only gain cornering stability from the exhaust pushing the front down. :banghead::USA::omg:

Mike

jerrell

:lol: you can defnitely count on it being LOUD, it will be 4 times louder than no muffler. you can help deflect the sound away by angeling the pipe toward the front or downward. but it is going to be LOUD. in saying that i just got my 20 hp honda twin, and taking it to a muffler shop and having two stacks installed then powder coated to match the color of the tractor :omg: a little expensive but i like that sound of power especially when the governor kicks in,, in saying that ... the noise from a straight pipe is dangerous to the ears if you spend some time on it. i have a head set and will have to wear it when using the tractor. :thumbs:

the answer to your second ? is ..up in the air... some will argue that the muffler restricts the exhaust and uses some power, while others will argue that there is no difference, but the straight pipe lets the exhaust vent with no restrictions and therefor increases the hp. notice all the pullers, racers, do not use mufflers.

i go for the straight pipes but that's only my 2 cents..

you can get a good ideal of the loudness by just taking the pipe loose from the engine and cranking it up and raceing the engine. if you live in the city limits this may be a problem. :banghead: i'll bet all your neighbors will come outside to see what in the #@@ is going on :USA:

sshell

I tried out the stack from my Farmall Cub on mine for laughs one day and it made it much quieter then the stock muffler. I did not notice ANY loss of power as well. I purchased the muffler from antiquetractors.com :banghead:

Steve

big mike

I make stacks for my Yellow and White tractors using a Cub muffler and welding of tubing on to it(chain link fence line post is just the right size).They are quieter and have a nice sound.