Agage1

skinny tires for snow

Agage1

Hey guys I'm I'm in the process of putting together a c160 hydro for snow plowing this winter. In Maryland we don't get a lot of snow but after last winter I want to be ready. I was always was under the impression that for snow you would want skinny tires that cut through it or big wide ones that float on top. I have a set of skinny saw tooth tires from a round hood or something that fit the spindles of my c160. What are your opinions on this? I mounted them today and drove around. It feels good and if anything I feel like I gained a little ground clearance. I plan on filling all four tires with wheel weights and a weight box out back.

I'm filling tires and adding wheel weights

boovuc

Skinny ag tires or standard to skinny turf tires with chains. You must have weights and preferably have your tires loaded. (As you stated you plan on doing).

Heavy wet snow tends to stick to tires and if you have wide tires, you just don't get good traction. 

• Like 1

Geno

The skinny is supposed to be better, more lbs per square inch of weight hitting the ground, I just can't get past the looks.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Picture an old military dodge power wagon !!

857 horse

I LIVE IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA,,,,30 MILES SOUTH OF WASHINGTON DC....I REMEMBER LAST YEAR,,,,,4 10 INCH SNOWS IN 4 WEEKS......

MY 857 WITH 23X10.50X12 TIRES WITH CHAINS AND WEIGHTS DID THE JOB....BUT AS WE KNOW..... OUR SNOW LEFT DRIVEN ON AND NOT PLOWED IS LIKE DRIVING

ON AN ICEBERG....SNOW FALLS,,,,GET IT SCRAPPED,,,OR THAT IS THE LANDSCAPE UNTIL TEMPS GO UP......

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:   Thin is in! The skinny try rib tires up front will cut through the snow a lot better and give better turning traction and the skinny rear ags on my 953 get a lot more traction than the wider tires on the 1055 and 312-8. A lot of my driveway is so steep that I have to drive up with the blade raised and plow going down, the skinny tires are best for this too.

Geno

Do you use chains also? 

Agage1

Thanks for the replies,it reassures my thinking. I was mostly concerned with the front tires. I have a nice set of ags withe chains for the back. I found a set of skinny fronts in the garage with rims that fit the c160. They are the type off a round hood or short frame tractor. They are noticeably thinner than the stock 160 wheels and tires and a little taller